Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son is looking for a 9mm pistol for home self defense. He has a 2 yr old daughter and is looking for one with a push or lever safety.

Any recommendations?

Gene

·
Registered
10,138 Posts
As has been said here many many many times before ......

Let him pick , shoot and clean a lot see what he likes ...What has he fired and so on

And why the safety? That is going to limited it ..A bit now ... Very few guns anymore have push button saftys

So the top pic I would say if you must have a manual job

1. Hi Power ..Classic guns shoots great
2. 1911 of course
3. Bretta 92 models
4. Many of the Taurus guns have them

Glock does not make any with a manual safties unless you have it custom done or add one on your own .Hint dont do this ... Sig does have some SAO model guns but most are for the compation market or are 1911s ..Either way pricer over say a stock sig

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Many pistols are sold with and without safeties. Extra needs to research and find out which would be best for him. Also he needs to find a way to secure the pistol with a child in the home..

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Hope he can try out several.
Budget an issue?
I'll throw out a couple that are easy to find. With safeties.
The Ruger SR series. I prefer the SR9C with a 10 rd for carry or the extended 17 rd for home. The extended mag gives a full size grip.
S&W 9c.
I do have a friend that bought a TAURUS PT111 MILLENIUM G2. He says it is consistent.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Impossible task.

Safeties do nothing other than keep Mom and Dad happy.

If the kid finds the gun, the game is over. Safeties won't save the day. Now it's all luck.

Better, get a fast access safe. I have two boys. With HKs, SIGs, Glocks, j frames, you name it, and at least two loaded and ready to go at all times, they came through unscathed. They didn't know where the guns were, and even if they did they couldn't get to them.

But I understand some folks insist on safeties.

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
Sticking to your question, my recommendation would be S&W's older line of 5906, 6906, Samples here http://www.gunbroker.com/item/621832305
http://www.gunbroker.com/item/622750880 . The Beretta 92 safety/decocker works the same way but is a big hunk of gun for a 9 mm cartridge.http://www.gunbroker.com/item/622602011 . There are other brands that have this design. The "advantage" is the gun won't fire with the safety lever engaged, and the first pull of the trigger is a long heavy revolver-like pull with the safety disengaged.

That said, I must echo the above comment about securing any and all guns from children and not depending on any mechanical design to keep the children "safe".

You may want to start another thread asking about the various options to secure the gun and still maintain a reasonable degree of quick access yourself.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
One of the 1st generation M&P's with the magazine disconnect. Would allow it to be kept safely with a loaded chamber while the magazine was removed and simply inserting the magazine puts the pistol in ready to use condition.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
HK P7.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
As usual, when he has identified a variety of pistols that he thinks will suit his needs, he should then try to locate a range where he can rent them to see which ones he likes. He could handle them at a gun store but actually shooting each one is best.

I too recommend some sort of secure storage.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I would recommend a Ruger SR series. the manual safety is a little stiffer than other models so the little one would have more trouble disengaging it if they got into it, but not so stiff that it will prevent deactivation when necessary.
all that said, keeping guns out of reach of the little ones is far safer than cocked and locked, teaching them about firearms early on is even better.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you've got the money, there are some great 9mm 1911 with the thumb/grip safeties but you will definitely spend at least $1000 for a decent one as 1911s aren't originally made for 9mm caliber.

·
Premium Member
38,932 Posts
My son is looking for a 9mm pistol for home self defense. He has a 2 yr old daughter and is looking for one with a push or lever safety.

Any recommendations?

Gene
He wants one his 2-year-old can shoot?

Reactions: wmhawth

·
Registered
100 Posts
not true, I paid $713+ tax for a springfield Range Officer 9mm Compact. it's been great, every bit as good as the full size in 45ACP i've owned for some time.

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Lots of good suggestions. As said , get a safe for better storage than relying on a safety switch. Being a gun owner means responsible use, storage and handling.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts