Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
I don’t really re-holster IWB. I pull the holster out, insert the firearm, then reinstall the “assembly”.

Note the firm was named “McQueeney”. I’m guessing before this incident it was named “McKingey”. :D

·
Registered
506 Posts
So many good puns.... I do wonder if the deputy was almost as stupid as the guy who shot himself. Slide release? Safety came off? Seriously?

Obviously the trigger was actuated by something. T-shirt, finger, holster, you're guess is as good as mine. I have an S&W M&P. There's a reason why I said with safety when they asked with or without. I dont trust trigger blades, no matter how many times I get told they're safe. I always handle my weapons with the safety on. Also always make sure the muzzle is down and down range. Left over teaching from Dad? Left over training from the military? Who knows.

What is obvious, here, is this guy was not, in any shape or form, using any SA while reholstering. I bet he's not going to do this again, however.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
holstering with finger in trigger guard?
He could have got the trigger caught on clothing or on the holster itself. I always holster the gun and then stick the gun that is protected by the holster back into my pants pocket. I have to protect the trigger with the LCP because I don't have a safety lever to switch on or off. Everybody would be better off if they treated their firearm like it didn't have a safety to depend on.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
There is a safe way to holster in the appendix position, I would guess I go around 1k draw and holster a month in classes/training, maybe more, never really tried to count it.

I don't holster aiwb seated; five or so vehicle classes in the past couple of years, I get out of the car, check my threats are out, and holster standing.

The trick: push your pelvis forward, step back with strong side foot, clear cover garments, make sure holster is clear, look the weapon into the holster.

If you do really fail and the weapon discharges due to negligence the round will impact the ground and not touch you at all, if your technique is correct.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
There is a safe way to holster in the appendix position, I would guess I go around 1k draw and holster a month in classes/training, maybe more, never really tried to count it.

I don't holster aiwb seated; five or so vehicle classes in the past couple of years, I get out of the car, check my threats are out, and holster standing.

The trick: push your pelvis forward, step back with strong side foot, clear cover garments, make sure holster is clear, look the weapon into the holster.

If you do really fail and the weapon discharges due to negligence the round will impact the ground and not touch you at all, if your technique is correct.
^^^ This is spot on.

When shopping for AIWB holsters also consider getting a light color holster which makes it easier to look inside the holster for obstructions; the shadow inside a black holster requires more effort to visually verify no obstructions.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Ouch! I carry appendix with 2 guns. A S&W 642 and a HK P30sk. Both hammer fired and both with at least a 10 pound pull (at least first shot with the HK)
Exactly why I carry hammer fired HKs. But I don't carry appendix. I put my striker up and switched to USPc because I found I handled my EDC more than I cared for during the day. I work in a Safe Zone building and sometimes travel back and forth to it.

Eventually I got a P30 V3 and for the most part I carry that decocked.

·
Registered
497 Posts
^^^ This is spot on.

When shopping for AIWB holsters also consider getting a light color holster which makes it easier to look inside the holster for obstructions; the shadow inside a black holster requires more effort to visually verify no obstructions.
I never thought about color but that is a good idea.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
9MM vasectomy?

If something like that happened to me I certainly would not be in good spirits.
If it was me, I'm afraid I might need some good spirits! ( Where is @OldVet when he's needed? )

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
"“He was trying to place it back in the holster and somehow hit the slide release or the safety and it actually went off,” Guadalupe County Sgt. Donny White said."

Well, that explains it.

·
Registered
978 Posts
I was hoping to open the link and find it was an old story previously discussed here. Sadly it was another numb nuts (sorry, couldn't help myself) with a negligent discharge that I'm sure he (and the clerk who helped him) will never forget. Let this be a lesson to all new (and old) carriers. Even experienced carriers have been known to shoot themselves, some in worse places than others.
negligent discharge”? Could you possibly have meant...premature discharge?? Good thing he wasn’t loaded with tracers! I bet a crotch-fire would be the worst!! Hoppin’ around yellin’, screamin’ and, slappin’ at the flames. Each slap resulting in another discharge that just keeps feeding the fires!! People falling to the ground screaming, laughing and, pointing at you. Multiple gunshots reported. People seen falling to ground and pointing at some crazed lunatic. Multiple Police units with SWAT Teams responding to a reported Active Shooter event. Yep, Definitely what I would call a BAD day!!!

·
Registered
33,858 Posts
21 - 40 of 52 Posts