Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Great read... I PDF'd it to send to some friends.

In fact, I did just that. I copied your post into my word processor, selected all-text, and then had my Mac read it to me as I continued on-line.
Regards,
Dan
No need to even copy it, jut select all wanted text and select "Speech" then "Start Speaking". I don't know if this is a new feature in Snow Leopard or not, but never noticed it before.

I love my Macs. Best move I ever made, even more-so than my move from Canon to Nikon!

Reactions: sblasl

·
Registered
16 Posts
You have to know your limits and strengths. I started with .45's way back when i was a teenager shooting bowling pins out of the pond and have never looked back. for a defensive , sd hg , there is nothing else i rather use. Size and weight is not an issue with all the choices.
I recomend you rent a plethora of choices and pick one to become great with it. In a carry defensive hg that is. Specialize in it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Excellent stuff JD! As an instructor I get asked this sort of thing all the time. You have captured it very well. I tried a couple of times, but didn't get to anywhere near the clarity you did. Well done!

·
Registered
25 Posts
JD (by the way I'm a JD also) -- Nice primer; hope you don't mind if I forward it to some of my newbie friends.

Look forward to your Revolver chapter -- this a an important of part to CC market, but it often overlooked, or least given short shrift. Thanks in advance.

2nd Amendment Deocrat
Vietnam Vet
NRA Dist. Life Member

·
Registered
61 Posts
a few things to consider

very well written, articulate, thoughtful, and easy enough to understand i might even direct a few liberals toward it. i'm very familiar with firearms, but i'd still recommend that as basic refresher material to anyone - using basic material like that is also very useful in the age of newer, bigger, badder subcompact handguns that can stop a charging rhino dead in its tracks or one-shot stop a violent felon hell bent on the destruction of everything you love. it will keep us centered.

having said that, there are a number of addendums i'd like to add to your piece:

1 - taurus is actually quite good. when it comes to subcompact and small revolver carry, this is a name i turn to. i accept no others in revolvers, and when it comes to the semis, the large autos are great. i actually like the beretta clones from taurus better than the berettas themselves. the small frame semis are a little more user specific.

2 - holsters. particularly for large frames, like the beretta 92 and clones, 1911s and clones, glocks, rugers, etc., i would recommend the blackhawk CQC leather holster. i carry this as my off duty holster for my duty issue glock 21. the holster breaks in easily, is form fitted to the sidearm and has a thumb break on the holster, is light enough that you almost forget it's on, and keeps it snug to your side. after i bought this one, i absolutely refuse to buy another high ride for full size autos other than this one.

3 - i don't believe enough can be said for having several different, well broken in holsters for each piece you carry, to aid in concealment, and to practice at the range with each one.

again, great article!

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
1 - taurus is actually quite good. when it comes to subcompact and small revolver carry, this is a name i turn to. i accept no others in revolvers, and when it comes to the semis, the large autos are great. i actually like the beretta clones from taurus better than the berettas themselves. the small frame semis are a little more user specific.
Welcome to DC.com!

I'd be wary of recommending Taurus pistols to people...especially new shooters. Why? I've read so many stories about "lemons" from Taurus. If you do a search on here, you'll see what I mean. I do not own one, but I did fire several Taurus revolvers and a Taurus Pt111. I started to consider one, until one of the snubbies FTF 3 factory rounds. It was soft striking every few rounds. I know the rounds were good because another revolver fired them without issue. Taurus have great prices, but it looks like their QC isn't up to great standards. I'd hate for a new shooter to get turned off because he/she got a "lemon."

Just my opinion. I'm no expert, I just read a lot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
true, except -

ninja -

absolutely true, with one caveat only: in the 80s and early to mid 90s, taurus was NOT one i'd turn to. since then, and in particular the 2000's, they've never let me down. the QC sucked for about 15 - 20 years, but there were enough complaints that they eventually got their crap together and began turning out a quality product. i'm a discriminating shooter, and it took me a long time to warm up to them again; but as a general rule, semis make me look towards springfield armory, revolvers to taurus. the large autos are awesome to me - particularly the PT92 and PT100. i'm not a fan of striker fired pistols, generally speaking, so i tend to stay away from the millenium series types of pistols, and that's why i say they are touch and go. i haven't used that line enough to make an informed decision since they began stepping up their QC. but as far as late production large autos and revolvers, i'm sold.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
Huh, never though of that, and I though I was the stuff for making it into a PDF. :35:
That's nothing. I liquefied the article, injected it into my bloodstream, and now it's part of my DNA.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Good read. Ive carried my Glock 26 for a little while now and yet to have found the "perfect" owb holster for it. I'm looking for riding tight, sitting low and comfy. If anyone has found that PLEASE LET ME KNOW!! :)

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
I finally had the time to sit down and thoroughly digest your post.

Excellent Job! A#1.

I'm glad you took the time to put in the work on it as I will be sending this on to a couple of folks I know looking for a first gun purchase.

Again, Great Work!

·
Registered
416 Posts
An excellent job!

Dear Sir,

This was an excellent piece of writing. Thank you for a job well done.

[I feel frustrated that anyone feels the need 'improving' your work. Let them spend a weekend writing this quality analysis and recommendations. A thank you would suffice.]

Semper Fi.

Reactions: Doodle

·
Registered
591 Posts
first pistol for my wife?

My wife and I have just started shooting. I have (and love) my Glock 26. She will use it under protest and does not like the recoil and the muzzle flash. She enjoyed the (borrowed) .22 she used to qualify for her CWP. I realize that a .22 might not be the best gun for her to carry but any gun is better than no gun and the question then becomes WHICH gun. In particular, which .22 as her first gun. I may be able to talk her up to a .380 (?Glock 28?) in the future but right now the question is which .22... We are considering a Walther P22, a Taurus PT22, S&W 22A, maybe a beretta if we can find one. What would you suggest???

·
Registered
591 Posts
I know it's illegal

I know the Glock 28 and 25 are not legal in the US, that's why it is in (??).

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
New 2 guns

Though i've been browsing & posting here for a short time as a gun owner 2 B this article was my 1st stop 2day. Your info is outstanding and though i've come across some of the same there are super beneficial parts i've read for the 1st time. Prior to your read i've settled on a ballpark size that matches your outcome and caliber will be a 9 or .45 since an auto is the choice for my 1st buy. Shop n shoot is my next stop and using the trig info i read here will help out big time........thnx

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
Nice job JD.

The only thing I would add to your article based on my own experience and my wife's are the follow about gun fit.
1. The gun must fit your hand and feel right. My wife like much bigger grips than I do even though I'm almost twice her size. Go to a gun shop or gun show and to a touch and feel session to get a short list of the guns that feel "right" and then go from there. She loves Sigs but I cant stand the grip.
2. The gun must point naturally for you. The hold the gun in your hand and with your eyes closed bring the pistol up to eye height then open them. The sights should point where you looking not up and not down otherwise the gun grip shape, size and cant don't naturally fit your hand. Example: Two handed grip on a Glock for me I can shoot just fine but one handed it points above the target because the bottom of the grip sticks out more than my M&P so pushes the nose of the Glock up at the sky. So M&Ps work perfectly for me.

Just my 2 cents...

21 - 40 of 95 Posts