Defensive Carry banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
779 Posts
JD! Nice write up!! You did forget to mention the "For the love of GOD, don't buy a 1911" part, but otherwise very thorough.

Lets get together, brother Marine. We have an Iowa CCW class to prep, rehears, and promote!

Dan

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Nice job, JD. A solid introduction to the defensive semi-auto for new gun buyers. I can't disagree with anything written (though I don't necessarily share your opinion of micro-9mm like the PM9 and Rohrbaugh :smile:).

I know this subject has been discussed before. I wish I could see my past posts, because in one thread I laid out 10 or 11 "considerations" (not really criteria) for a CCW weapon -- things like, size, weight, reliability, caliber, etc. Many of the items you discussed, but there may be another one or two to supplement your discussion.

Great job! Looking forward to parts 2 & 3.
Does this look familar?????????

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?71259-Combat-Pistol-Selection-quot-Feelings-quot&p=1053531&highlight=#post1053531

1. Here's my post on another forum regarding CCW weapon selection. It echoes many of your thoughts, although the categories may be slightly different (and the conclusion at the end was very specific to my own requirements...not intended to be a general recommendation) --

"It occurs to me, after some time and thinking on this that our needs for a CCW are different. My CCW needs would look something like (may not be all inclusive):
o Concealability ... doesn't have to be a pocket gun, but weight, slimness, size all matter; generally, smaller is better (though there are disadvantages to the Rohrbaugh size -- more later); the more options for concealability, the better (e.g., ankle, pants pocket, jeans hip pocket, sportcoat pocket, overcoat pocket, inside jacket pocket, IWB tuckable, IWB non-tuck, OWB, etc.), with extra weight given to the more frequent methods (for me, IWB tucked).
o Caliber ... minimum .380mm, with 9mm, 40mm, .44, and .45 better yet
o Shootability ... combination of feel in hand (grip, balance, etc.), how easy it naturally points, felt recoil (P3AT and Rohrbaugh take a hit here), sight picture, comfort, trigger, etc.
o Accuracy ... measured at 10 yards, minimum, with accuracy at longer ranges a plus up to 25 yards; my CCW is not intended to be a shove-in-their-chest-and-fire only weapon, or even a 7-10 yards only weapon; adjustable and night sights are better than fixed (which means that ones like Rohrbaugh, CW9, etc. meet minimum but don't excel)
o Capacity ... self-evident -- the more the better, including reloads; classic criteria for revolver vs. semi-auto
o Reliability ... Must fire every time; simplicity of design; not sensitive to SD ammo; low likelihood of failure; dependable and durable; however, don't need military grade (made with more tolerances to withstand adverse conditions, however, generally pay a premium in weight, cost, inaccuracy, etc.); does NOT have to be a range gun however -- I am not putting 10,000 rounds a year down range (so, my CCW could be a Rohrbaugh even though it has to have the recoil spring replaced every 100-150 rounds)
o Supportibility ... Can I get it repaired if it breaks (not necessarily by me)? Are there a number of holsters out there I can choose from? Can I buy extra mags, including non-OEM?
o Quality .. fit and finish (or will I have to do a buff job on it); machining of parts (e.g., forged vs. MIM vs. cast); steel vs. polymer, especially on internal parts like rails; appealing looks and feel; rounded edges; pinned vs. dovetail sights, polygonal barrel, etc.
o Price/value ... assuming the same quality, lower price is better, though willing to pay for better quality; certainly there's an upper limit (which, for me, the Rohrbaugh exceeds)
o Compatibility ... with other guns I own, commonality of ammo, ability to reload, etc.
o CCW intangibles ... black vs. bi-tone vs. stainless; DA vs. DA/SA; safety -- manual, grip, none, trigger; decocker vs. none; intimidating appearance to BGs (doesn't matter to me); positioning of mag release (see PPS), ammo flexibility (+P vs. std vs. +P+, bullet weight, practice vs. SD ammo, etc.)
Under these criteria, the Kahr came out ahead of the Rohrbaugh, G26, P3AT, LCP, PF-9, P-11, S&W 642/442, Walther PPK/S and PPS, XD9sc and S&W M&P, and various SIG and H&K models. Having said that, I will probably own several of them over time since no one gun met all my needs. For example, a P3AT/LCP is the lightest, most concealable package out there, with the Rohrbaugh a close second (and gets my vote because of the caliber). There will be times during the summer where I will need that level of concealability. The M&P and XD came close, and had the edge in capacity, and in the XD's case, dependability. If convenient to carry OWB, I would love to have an XD, SIG or M&P on the hip. But, for the one gun I could afford, given my current needs and ease of carry across the year, the Kahr came out ahead."
http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?71259-Combat-Pistol-Selection-

·
Registered
6 Posts
Huh, never though of that, and I though I was the stuff for making it into a PDF. :35:
Talking about the guns, when it comes to keep them at home, they are hard to tackle, how about having a pistol. Could you please guide me.

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Talking about the guns, when it comes to keep them at home, they are hard to tackle, how about having a pistol. Could you please guide me.
Your message here is so extremely vague and half-baked, that it is basically meaningless.

Try to compose your thoughts into a specific question.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
All I can say is that I am totally blown away by all the information on DC !!!
Unfourtunatly I have been home for several months now with back and hip issues. Since joining this forum in May I am just amazed with all the knowledge the people on this forum have. Like this thred I keep finding things like this that just keep adding to the things that I have learned from all the great people on this site. All the combined real life experience just makes you want to learn more and more. I have not read this much since 30+ years ago in high school, and actually retained. The people on this forum have made my venture into C/C less stressfull and much more educational then I ever expected. I feel more comfortable with my decision to carry then I would have without all the GREAT advice !! I have also started to do some training as a result of this site. Somthing I probably would never have done concidering I thought I was pretty knowledgable already.Made me realize I did not know as much as I thought I did.

AGAIN, THANKS TO EVERYONE AT DC AWESOME SITE!!!

Regards,
Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
JD - I know you wrote this several years ago, but if your still reading this thread, kudos to you. Nice work. Every gun shop should be required to have a guy like you behind the counter. I agree, make it a sticky for the top of page. (PS - based on your criteria of affordability I may have substituted Beretta or Ruger for HK on the top 8). Great read.

·
Banned
12 Posts
Yes,as neophyte not only doesn't have the skill but also the knowledge to even know which questions to ask. Just like what pistol suit for novice and how to appraise a pistol. Forgive our fledglings' fool question. :gah:

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
JD - I know you wrote this several years ago, but if your still reading this thread, kudos to you. Nice work. Every gun shop should be required to have a guy like you behind the counter. I agree, make it a sticky for the top of page. (PS - based on your criteria of affordability I may have substituted Beretta or Ruger for HK on the top 8). Great read.
Agreed, I've changed it to the "Big 10" and added both. :yup:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Some great basic info all in one thread. I wish I had found this thread first. But, the inportant part is that you get all the information to make the right decision for you. I can see how your holster is as important as your pistol. I tried an inexpensive DeSantis Soft Tuk for my Ruger SR9c, and find it very uncomfortable and hard to use. I have just ordered a custom made holster from Jeffery Custom Leather. He hand bones them for a per model custome fit. I am looking forward to recieving it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Very helpful info!

Wow, I searched the internet for days with questions about everything you wrote and here it is in one place. Wish I found it first. I just sent in application for cwp and am trying to figure out what to buy and all the dao/sa/jhp/acp/cal/blah/blah/blah is so confusing. I'm gonna try to print this article and study it when I have time. Thanks! =)

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Wow, I searched the internet for days with questions about everything you wrote and here it is in one place. Wish I found it first. I just sent in application for cwp and am trying to figure out what to buy and all the dao/sa/jhp/acp/cal/blah/blah/blah is so confusing. I'm gonna try to print this article and study it when I have time. Thanks! =)
You're welcome, make sure to go under "Thread tools" and select "Show Printable Version" :bier:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Wow. Thank you, JD, for this excellent article and now we can share it with others. Thank you, Admin, for making it a Sticky so it doesn't get lost in all the threads.

·
Registered
8,274 Posts
We'll I like both semi auto and revolvers.I use all my handguns for carry . PISTOLS: Glock17 ,ruger380,S+W 99,Springfield hicap loaded,don't Laugh Sigma 9mm fire over 2.5k not one jam! ,22 ruger mark 2
Revolvers :Ruger security-six 357 stainless, Charter House 44 spl bulldog,weighs 21 oz empty ! ,22 cal revolver derringer,S+W Bodyguard 38spl w/lazer site,bobbed hammer.((this one you
don't take to the range ange shoot more than 10-15 rounds.great carry revolver downside price $625,5shot. Most of these would be good for anyone starting out,except the 22's I've had one
exceptional sigma for 10 years and one bad one for 3 days so it's a crap shoot with that brand .

41 - 60 of 95 Posts