Defensive Carry banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Not only informative, but good writing, as well.
I may have to borrow this line at some point-

[a smaller gun on the person beats the larger gun left at home, if all you can conceal well is a smaller .380, it beats a sharp stick in the eye and harsh language]

·
Registered
136 Posts
Welcome to DC.com!

I'd be wary of recommending Taurus pistols to people...especially new shooters. Why? I've read so many stories about "lemons" from Taurus. If you do a search on here, you'll see what I mean. I do not own one, but I did fire several Taurus revolvers and a Taurus Pt111. I started to consider one, until one of the snubbies FTF 3 factory rounds. It was soft striking every few rounds. I know the rounds were good because another revolver fired them without issue. Taurus have great prices, but it looks like their QC isn't up to great standards. I'd hate for a new shooter to get turned off because he/she got a "lemon."

Just my opinion. I'm no expert, I just read a lot.
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, but not new to guns. My primary carry is a Glock 30 (.45 ACP). The Glocks are bulkier, but it's a subcompact, I'm a woman and it fits me like a glove! Depending on the situation, I might also take my Ruger SP101 .357 revolver. I also have a Judge and I LOVE it. I keep it under the bed, next to the 12 G. I too was hesitant to buy a taurus, but spoke with several people who all said the company has REALLY upped their game and improved their quality control. I don't know if that's true, but I really like my Judge.

Regarding buying your first handgun, my Dad taught my sisters and I to shoot when we were really young. However, I didn't start shooting again until I bought my Glock 6-7 years ago. It had been 2-3 decades since I'd last shot a gun, but I practiced with a rented .45, found that I handled it just fine, so I bought the Glock. Now I don't know if my past experiences helped, but I find it hard to believe they helped that much (we only went shooting a few times and I think he did it more to teach us respect for the guns than how to shoot well). So I wouldn't just automatically go with a .22. I'd rent several different guns/calibers and choose the largest you can comfortably handle. As long as you can hit the target SOMEWHERE, you'll get much better with practice. It took me no more than 300-400 rounds before I went from being on the outer edge of the target to dead center! Not everyone has to shoot thousands of rounds to become proficient. Just my $.02.

Reactions: rawdawg1217

·
Banned
1,312 Posts
I like to reread this and share it with friends who are getting into guns. Once again thanks for a useful thread and a great resource to new shooters.

·
Registered
5,993 Posts
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum, but not new to guns. My primary carry is a Glock 30 (.45 ACP). The Glocks are bulkier, but it's a subcompact, I'm a woman and it fits me like a glove! Depending on the situation, I might also take my Ruger SP101 .357 revolver. I also have a Judge and I LOVE it. I keep it under the bed, next to the 12 G. I too was hesitant to buy a taurus, but spoke with several people who all said the company has REALLY upped their game and improved their quality control. I don't know if that's true, but I really like my Judge.

Regarding buying your first handgun, my Dad taught my sisters and I to shoot when we were really young. However, I didn't start shooting again until I bought my Glock 6-7 years ago. It had been 2-3 decades since I'd last shot a gun, but I practiced with a rented .45, found that I handled it just fine, so I bought the Glock. Now I don't know if my past experiences helped, but I find it hard to believe they helped that much (we only went shooting a few times and I think he did it more to teach us respect for the guns than how to shoot well). So I wouldn't just automatically go with a .22. I'd rent several different guns/calibers and choose the largest you can comfortably handle. As long as you can hit the target SOMEWHERE, you'll get much better with practice. It took me no more than 300-400 rounds before I went from being on the outer edge of the target to dead center! Not everyone has to shoot thousands of rounds to become proficient. Just my $.02.
I sold my Judge "Public Defender" before I ever fired it even once and it was NIB! The stupid locking mechanism kept partially setting itself without my ever using the key. To me if that happens in a self defense situation that's going to result in a death: MINE. OTOH, I too love my Glock 30. I first got one when they initially came out and carried it for years but it felt too blocky for my smallish hands so I sold it and I got another when the SF (Short Frame) version was introduced. But the issues with my Public Defender happened just last year so I'd say that QC over at Taurus is headed downhill rather than the reverse. I even sent it back to them which was another hassle even though their HQ is located right here in my home of Miami FL. They had it and sent it back with an enigmatic note stating an issue had been identified and "fixed." That was suspicious to me as well, so I saw it as another incentive to sell the piece and not look back. Too bad, I'd spent some considerable time before I bought it in buying ammo for the gun in preps. So when I sold it, I kept the ammo just in case. Good thing because I just took possession of a GOVERNOR from Smith & Wesson and it's performance at the range yesterday was nothing short of STELLAR. I got the model that came with the laser grips and they were awesome as well. Came already perfectly zeroed to the front sight (itself a tritium specimen). But that's a story for it's own thread.

·
Banned
386 Posts
Excellent,well thought out,nicely put together on the mechanics and choosing of a gun.Concerned about shifting the gun in the hand to manipulate the controls with thumbs and fingers.In my humble opinion,simple is better for a defensive gun.Extreme stress and the effects on the mind and body should be part of the decision making process when buying a gun for defense.Stress causes the loss of fine motor skills,complex motor skills,needed to do those finger tasks on the safeties,slide releases.A gun you can manipulate well using gross motor skills will serve you better when things get ugly.pull it, point,sqeeze trigger.Keep it simple,effective.How many people will remember to manipulate all those little gizmos when cognitive processing is all but gone.You must train to depend on gross motors,thats all you will have,unless your super human.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Hey JD, would you...ah...please repeat that :smile:

Nice job

·
Banned
321 Posts
Good, informative, and balanced piece.

When I started my search last spring, I found this piece from Army Times useful:

Pistols with a shot at replacing the M9

By Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer Posted : Sunday Aug 28, 2011 8:56:27 EDT

“The M9 is at the end of its lifecycle,” said Maj. Art Thomas, small arms branch chief at the Maneuver Center of Excellence at Fort Benning, Ga. “It is an old weapon. We can do a lot better with what technology can provide us now.”

Lethality is among the M9’s several “limitations,” said Daryl Easlick, project officer for close effects. The requirement for a new pistol calls for “an increase in permanent wound channel,” which suggests something more powerful than a 9mm may be on the horizon.

Other limitations the new pistol must overcome include:

• The slide-mounted safety. When soldiers rack the slide to alleviate a jam or stovepipe in the M9, they often inadvertently engage the safety — and won’t realize this until they reacquire and squeeze the trigger.

• The open-slide design, which allow contaminants and dirt into the system.

• The lack of a modular grip, integrated rail and night-sight capabilities.

• The inability to suppress.

• Limited service life — replacement should have a service life of at least 25,000 rounds.

It was interesting to see what the military percieves the shortcomings of the sidearm they've been using for a quarter of a century.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good, informative, and balanced piece.

When I started my search last spring, I found this piece from Army Times useful:

Pistols with a shot at replacing the M9

By Lance M. Bacon - Staff writer Posted : Sunday Aug 28, 2011 8:56:27 EDT

“The M9 is at the end of its lifecycle,” said Maj. Art Thomas, small arms branch chief at the Maneuver Center of Excellence at Fort Benning, Ga. “It is an old weapon. We can do a lot better with what technology can provide us now.”

Lethality is among the M9’s several “limitations,” said Daryl Easlick, project officer for close effects. The requirement for a new pistol calls for “an increase in permanent wound channel,” which suggests something more powerful than a 9mm may be on the horizon.

Other limitations the new pistol must overcome include:

• The slide-mounted safety. When soldiers rack the slide to alleviate a jam or stovepipe in the M9, they often inadvertently engage the safety — and won’t realize this until they reacquire and squeeze the trigger.

• The open-slide design, which allow contaminants and dirt into the system.

• The lack of a modular grip, integrated rail and night-sight capabilities.

• The inability to suppress.

• Limited service life — replacement should have a service life of at least 25,000 rounds.

It was interesting to see what the military percieves the shortcomings of the sidearm they've been using for a quarter of a century.
The FNP-45 was a big contender as an M9 replacement back when they started reviewing pistol designs about 5 years ago. However, the military quicky canceled the procurement program for some reason and the public was the beneficiary of several very innovative pistol designs from companies such as FN, HK and Sig Sauer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Your info has changed my view on carry guns for concealment. I was leaning towards a full sized 40 now I'm hoping for a mid sized 9. Thanks for the valuable info!

Reactions: JD

·
Registered
364 Posts
This is a very useful thread. I'm looking to buy my second gun for CC. I know I want a Glock now I'm trying to figure out what model. I have experience with 9mm and 45ACP but I was thinking of trying the 40 S&W. Decisions decisions.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
You touched on ammo briefly, but I think it is something that is very important in a CCW. In my humble opinion your defensive carry ammo should be JHP's.

For some reason certain semi auto's love certain types (brands) of ammo. From my readings and limited experience this has a lot to do with the
feed ramp configuration and the stiffness of the recoil springs. It is also important to note that many guns require a "break in" period before
they reach their full potential.

The only way to determine which one your weapon likes is to get to the range and run them through your weapon.

Also guns are like cars or any mechanical device. You can get a Mercedes that is a lemon and you can get a Chevy that is flawless. You just
don't know until you leave the lot and drive it for a while. That said warranties and customer service are very important also.

The most important advice provided in the lead article for this thread is that for a defensive handgun to be effective you have to have it on you.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
alot to read but very good info, sucks im a slow reader, lol. thanks for sharing it. crazy that you did this long writeup for a friend looking to buy.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Excellent writing and a perfect article for a novice looking for advice on purchasing a defensive handgun!

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
alot to read but very good info, sucks im a slow reader, lol. thanks for sharing it. crazy that you did this long writeup for a friend looking to buy.
:dunno:
It just kind of grew from discussion via Facebook and texts.
:redface:

On a side note, the friend in question decided on a Dark Earth M&P 9mm "range package" for his first gun and has picked up several others since, a Beretta 92FS being his most recent purchase.

I turned him onto the Gomez videos and he's been practicing some holster work and other fundamentals.

He's planning to come out to Iowa from Michigan in May and we'll be doing his first range work from the holster and I fully expect him to get the IDPA bug.

Sent via Tapatalk 2, and still using real words.

...ETA :worthless:

·
Registered
271 Posts
I go with Glock. I'm not really a fanboy. It's ugly. Not too slick. There are better guns to shoot (Sigs). But such durability, toughness, reliability and accuracy can hardly be found in a better priced pistol. I'd like a Sig. But the extra $400 isn't worth a gun that isn't twice as good IMHO.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yep, saw the title and I thought I'd addressed that. IF YOU ARE A NEW SHOOTER, buying your FIRST GUN, and you buy a nice, ideal carry gun, in a recommended caliber, MOST shooters will have trouble hitting te inside of a dumpster from inside the dumpster. "...looking to buy his first pistol, it's not the end all/be all of information, but it's got some good info in there for the first time buyer. "
A .22 LR 38 gr. HP that hits the target is a very loud, expensive bullet that misses because the shooter has learned to flinch every shot.

Learning to shoot, ammo will cost far more than the cost of the nicest carry gun. A person can easily spend $1,000 on 38+P and still not have the gun under control and the ability to hit a pie plate at 15 yards. The .22 has a place. The skilled shooter who doesn't own a gun is a rare breed. The skilled shooter probably doesn't need any advice, the neophyte doesn't have the skill or the knowledge to even know which questions to ask.
I'm that neophyte but I am learning the questions to ask. And more importantly I think is learning what I'm doing wrong and wanting professional instruction BEFORE I get my CCW. If I can hit a soda can at 10 paces 1 out of 5 times with my Sig P238 I know I need a lot of help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holster options

First of all great article. I would like to add to your list of holster companies. Old Faithful Holsters out in Arkansas make a truly great product. I now have bought 2 of their IWB holsters, one for a Kahr and the new one for a CZ. They are a hybrid leather/kydex that is well designed and custom molded for a stunningly huge number of make/model handguns. The belt clips are well spaced to better distribute the weight and adjustable for ride height and cant as well. The will sell you a completed holster or a kit you can assemble yourself for about half the price of the assembled version. They even offer an option that allows you to mold your own kydex either to fit a gun they aren't currently offering or just to save a little more money. They offer the best guarantee and a 50 year warranty to boot. Just wanted to share this info.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I go with Glock. I'm not really a fanboy. It's ugly. Not too slick. There are better guns to shoot (Sigs). But such durability, toughness, reliability and accuracy can hardly be found in a better priced pistol. I'd like a Sig. But the extra $400 isn't worth a gun that isn't twice as good IMHO.
With all due respect to SIG-Sauer and their products' well-deserved reputation for quality and performance, I avoid their classics (SIG P 226 and P 220) like the plague. I do so not because there's anything wrong with them. I never have liked the first-shot trigger pull, the grip shape, and the high bore axis of those guns. I always feel like I'm pointing a piece of gun-shaped 3/4" plywood at the target when I fire a SIG. I can't hit the broad side of a barn with SIGs....standing inside the barn. Again, there's nothing wrong with SIG handguns, it's simply that I can't "warm up" to one. YMMV.

·
Banned
260 Posts
I went with a Bersa BP-9cc I wanted a gun that allowed me to easily C.C. it but still offered a full grip, and the accuracy is amazing. It has the best stock striker fired trigger I've ever tried and the reset is amazing. A slim single stack that has a 8 +1 cap. this Bersa is a joy to shoot and that's something most compact C.C. guns can't say!!

61 - 80 of 95 Posts