·
Banned
12,069 Posts
I'm back in the saddle again.

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
375 Posts
Yep, saw the title and I thought I'd addressed that. IF YOU ARE A NEW SHOOTER, buying your FIRST GUN, and you buy a nice, ideal carry gun, in a recommended caliber, MOST shooters will have trouble hitting te inside of a dumpster from inside the dumpster. "...looking to buy his first pistol, it's not the end all/be all of information, but it's got some good info in there for the first time buyer. "
A .22 LR 38 gr. HP that hits the target is a very loud, expensive bullet that misses because the shooter has learned to flinch every shot.

Learning to shoot, ammo will cost far more than the cost of the nicest carry gun. A person can easily spend $1,000 on 38+P and still not have the gun under control and the ability to hit a pie plate at 15 yards. The .22 has a place. The skilled shooter who doesn't own a gun is a rare breed. The skilled shooter probably doesn't need any advice, the neophyte doesn't have the skill or the knowledge to even know which questions to ask.
The first gun I ever handled and shot was my guy's Ruger .22 semi-auto. The first gun I ever bought was a Ruger .22 Single Six. The first semi-auto I just bought is a Colt .22 Rail Gun. I can shoot a .357 just fine but I like warming up with a .22 and cooling down with a .22 at the range. They are easy and fun before I have to start working with bigger loads.

·
Banned
260 Posts
I went with a Bersa BP-9cc I wanted a gun that allowed me to easily C.C. it but still offered a full grip, and the accuracy is amazing. It has the best stock striker fired trigger I've ever tried and the reset is amazing. A slim single stack that has a 8 +1 cap. this Bersa is a joy to shoot and that's something most compact C.C. guns can't say!!
It should be noted that last Thur. after handling the Taurus Millennium PT111 G2 I ordered this gun online. Its the first online gun purchase I've ever made. Why you might ask did I order online instead of buying from my local LGS? The fact that all the reviews on You Tube were positive plus fit & finish are very good and the great trigger reminded me of the Bersa. But the biggest reason for the online purchase, I saved 75.00 over the best dealer price by ordering online ... I think this gun will be a welcome addition to my C.C. list of guns, but only time at the range can determine if its a gun I'll still own 6 months from now. I felt at this price 239.00 if its not right for me. I will be able to sell it without a problem and at least break even.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So you went to the gun store and handled the gun, then ordered online, paid shipping and then a FFL fee?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
260 Posts
Yes I did!! And I gave them every chance to at least come within 50.00 of the price and the best they would do was $365.00. Now even after paying shipping transfer fee and tax They were 70.00 off I decided to do something I'd never done before...I ordered a gun online, Its my money and I like having it in my pockets not theirs.

·
Banned
260 Posts
Well its been just over 6 months since I ordered the Taurus PT111 G2 and I can say it has exceeded my expectations. To date well over 1000 rds without a hitch... No FTE or FTF problems and after about the first 400 rds the trigger settled in and the gun is a joy to shoot and accurate. Today at the range at 7yds all shoots were in the 9 or 10 ring, a friend came along to try the Taurus and couldn't believe how well it grouped, he went online and ordered it at the amazing price of 199.99 from Palmetto State Armory. For those who dismiss the Taurus PT111 G2 I say... You've never tried one. Yeah their that good! :smile:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I recently took delivery of a new Canik Shark Compact to use as a carry pistol when wearing clothes appropriate to conceal it. I already own the full size ported Shark and I have been thoroughly happy with that pistol. It is super accurate and 100% reliable. For those unfamiliar, here is a photo of the Shark compact model.
CanikSharkCompact_zpsa1f7d247.jpg

There is a lot to be said about this little known, but rapidly growing, line of pistols. I have pistols of all quality known makes but these Caniks are outstanding. The Sharks have a great trigger right out of the box. However, I replace the 18-pound hammer spring with the 13-pound spring purchased from the CZ Custom Shop. On my new compact, I even cut the 13-pound spring down a hair and I am still getting strong primer strikes and the bonus of a super nice double action and very sweet single action. The other easy mod was fabricating a trigger over travel stop. Once the sear breaks, there is no additional travel. Accuracy immediately improves when over travel on any trigger is eliminated. I also replaced the original grips with a set of VZ Diamondback grips in Hyena brown. It looks as good as it shoots.

If you are considering a carry pistol, you owe it to yourself to check out one of these fine weapons. They can be had for under $360. at Cheaper Than Dirt Canik 55 Shark-C Semi Auto Handgun 9mm Luger 15 Rounds 3.94" Barrel Aluminum Frame Black Finish SHARK-CB

The pistol is worth twice that amount.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Thanks, good write up! Wish I had read it before I started purchasing. Good info to have before the gun show here next weekend.

Reactions: JD

·
Registered
4 Posts
i thoroughly enjoyed the original post. i teach ccdw in kentucky and am asked the original post's question often. with your permission i would like to refer questioners to this site and thread. also, i would like to make a few copies of the original post and give to those class members / friends / carry advocates who i think could benefit from reading your knowledge and input. many thanks.
btw: i am mostly a "reader", not a "poster". i don't have that deep a well to draw from; mostly just a bucket to dip from.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
i thoroughly enjoyed the original post. i teach ccdw in kentucky and am asked the original post's question often. with your permission i would like to refer questioners to this site and thread. also, i would like to make a few copies of the original post and give to those class members / friends / carry advocates who i think could benefit from reading your knowledge and input. many thanks.
btw: i am mostly a "reader", not a "poster". i don't have that deep a well to draw from; mostly just a bucket to dip from.
Be my guest.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Great info! Very well written and thoroughly explained. Thanks JD!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Excellent manual, I was interested in reading it. I even have a few friends who could use it. Thank you, friend!

81 - 95 of 95 Posts