Defensive Carry banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
As far as Taurus vs S&W vs Ruger, etc. The ONLY revolver I've ever had problems with was my S&W Model 34 .22 Kit Gun. I bought it new back in the '80's. It was a POS then and it's a POS now. It's even been back to the factory, and it's still a POS. I still use it, and it is accurate in single-action slow fire, but it functions like crap. Feels like it's full of gravel. And yes, I keep it clean.
I've heard they went through a transition time back in the 80's and they had some quality issues. Well, I got one of their quality issues.
Other than that, I have about 1/2 dozen S&W's and they are all fine. But so are my Taurus' and H&R's. However, my friend has a newer S&W bodyguard 38 and it's a POS.

That said, I just bought a new Model 638 a month of so ago and it is excellent.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've had my Dan Wesson 15-2 .357 mag for about 20 years and currently is sports a 2.5" barrel and Hogue grips. It will always go bang and I've killed rabbits in the garden with it at 20 paces.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great read, thank you so much for posting. You have helped solidify my choice of buying a S&W 686 plus 4 inch revolver. Can't wait to get it.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
The SPEECH! Ya' GOTTA memorize THE Speech!

Granted, it's not nearly as impressive, with my Taurus 605 in hand... :redface:

·
Super Moderator
23,234 Posts
@JD,

Quality has no Sell By Date. :lolp:

I’m going for the Methuselah award. :rofl:

Actually, just doing homework and research.:wink:

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
I’m going for the Methuselah award. :rofl:

Actually, just doing homework and research.:wink:
Are you familiar with Caleb Giddings' work at all? He's one of the more modern revolver dudes and he's pretty fond of the 3" LCR.

1 video???

Gerrr see below...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,959 Posts
Primary&Secondary Revolver Modcast
(Bonus points for Melody's Company (CDR) being repped on Lee's hat)

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Some good considerations in this video. Thinking vs shooting trigger is something more of us should really think about. The gun you shoot best at the range may not be what you should carry for self defense.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Since this Posting there is a New Revolver in town. It's called the Kimber K6S and I'm in Love with them. Looks like they took the best features from the big 3, and melded them into one gun. Machining and finish is excellent IMHO, as is the Trigger. And the icing on the Cake is she will Chamber 357 Magnum. I'm getting ready to order the New 4" Target Model.

Attachments

·
Registered
813 Posts
The only problems with Taurus Revolvers is in heavy use. In the past they tend to go out of time after extensive competition use. I have a Taurus M85 I carry on occasion and it is still in good shape. Also have and carry a S&W 442 & 325TR. Have used these 2 in competition. Both are still in good shape. Ruger Revolvers are usually tanks, they're just on the heavy side, except for the LCR. But any small frame revolver shooting +P loads need to be shot infrequently, just enough to ensure all is good and keep your handling skills up.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts