Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking for some counter to the "turn the other cheek" and "thou shale not kill" responses to self defense.

I think I have found what I was looking for.:congrats:

A Biblical Framework: Self Defense and Christianity, Part 1

I am not well versed, but it seamed to me that much of the argument was just a bit off level of what was written in the bible. these 4 pages explain what I knew but could not find. I hope someone else finds this helpful.

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
When Jesus returns...his angels will be carrying Glocks!:image035:

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have an article/lesson I wrote about this topic when i was still in ministry and Missouri had just passed its concealed carry law. A lot of parishioners were wondering about it. When i find it I'll post it. (or a link) I pretty sure the old floppy it's on is corrupted, but I have a hard copy somewhere. Discusses the legal and moral context of "turn the other cheek", Peter's sword, selling cloaks to buy swords and use of force in general.

And thanks for the links!

·
Registered
10,806 Posts
I was thinking about this earlier today and wondered how many of us remember chapters 8 and 9 of the book of Esther. We remember Esther and Mordecai, but in chapter 8 and 9 we find that the way God delivered the Jews was by a decree giving them the right to defend themselves and notifying the governors and rulers of the provinces of that fact.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Thanks for the blog plug tbrenke! :danceban:

The articles aren't perfect, but hopefully they help. Please use the information wisely, and when having a discussion about biblical stuff remember the "gentleness and reverence" part of 1 Peter 3 and the "in love part" of Ephesians 4:15 okay?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Thanks for the blog plug tbrenke! :danceban:

The articles aren't perfect, but hopefully they help. Please use the information wisely, and when having a discussion about biblical stuff remember the "gentleness and reverence" part of 1 Peter 3 and the "in love part" of Ephesians 4:15 okay?
Ya mean we can't slay 'em with the jawbone of an ass? :frown:
That's biblical... :image035:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ah, when you're being told that the "armor of god" is enough and you do not need a gun, it is nice to have something to reference.

when your mother desides that the christan thing to do is pacifism, it is nice to have something to reference.

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
They'll probably have some AR's too... I bet they won't need optics though...:image035:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Self Defense and Christianity

Questions:
"I have been looking for some counter to the (1) "turn the other cheek" and (2) "thou shale not kill" responses to self defense."

I'm thinking:
#1 - means to forgive those who offend you?
#2 - I understand the literal translation is; Thou Shall Not "Murder". Murder of course being an illegal taking of a human life.

God does not oppose justified (or honorable) violence and I believe He expects us to engage in "Righteous" (good) violence. Defending the weak for example . . . being a sheep dog?

Example:
You intervene in a violent act being commited against a child (kidnap, attempted molestation and/or murder) and the intervention escalates to combat and the perpetrator receives serious injury or death . . . (and if your action is reasonable under the circumstance) . . . I do not believe the LORD will see this scenario as a sin. Just my opinion.

Thoughts . . ?

Con1
Romans 10:13
Psalm 25:1-3
Psalm 144: 1-3

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Questions:
"I have been looking for some counter to the (1) "turn the other cheek" and (2) "thou shale not kill" responses to self defense."

Con1
Romans 10:13
Psalm 25:1-3
Psalm 144: 1-3
The turn the other cheek is a reference to being dishonored, not being attacked.

Matthew 5:39 (New International Version)
39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Most folks are right handed. How can a right handed person strike you on the right cheek? By slapping you with the back of their hand. At the time this was a serious insult, but not a serious threat. So it speaks to not responding to an insult with violence. I don't believe it speaks to not responding to an attack with violence. See Job for the reference to striking the cheek.

Job 16:10 (New International Version)
10 Men open their mouths to jeer at me;
they strike my cheek in scorn
and unite together against me.

For self defense in the home see this.

Exodus 22
2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed; 3 but if it happens [a] after sunrise, he is guilty of bloodshed.

There is good info here from Pax as well. There is more at the bottom. Great site all around. The best quote from here is "First, Christ's disciples were normally armed: Peter had a sword. Jesus wasn't surprised when Peter's sword came out (there are also other passages where Jesus refers to His followers' swords)." :image035:

Cornered Cat - Christianity & Pacifism

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Good write up, MinistrMalic.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
I fear you are mistaken, I'm positive they will be carrying Wilson Combat 1911's...:smile:

·
Registered
656 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Repent all sinners.
In one had will be a drag in the mud Glock, in the other will be a dirty but very reliable XD.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts