Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the major manufactures has a breakdown of percent of shootings at a particular distance. I have searched but can't find this. Anyone know what/where this is? As I recall, it said 95% of shooting were at less than 21 feet, with 55% being at ten feet or less, but I am guessing.

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
I was taught, & it was by the military so I don't know how accurate that is by civilian standards, that 21' is the minimum distance you want an armed opponent to get to you if all you have is a pistol. The further away the better but in a civilian setting this could bring legal problems I suppose. I always practise shooting at 21' but before I leave the range & extend that distance as far as I can. I feel that if the average distance in a shooting situation is down to 10' that's way too close even for an opponent armed with a knife or club.

Reactions: Exacto

·
Premium Member
5,462 Posts
You're way long. Most happen close enough to touch, which is why most CCW pistols have combat sights and jagged triggers.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,798 Posts
There are lots of statistics published about the average gun fight. The 3/3/3 rule is often posted or quoted. That is three shots at three yards in three seconds. There are few references to where those statistics came from. The averages most likely include law enforcement one on one gun encounters which happen at closer ranges due to the nature of their work. If you included military encounters, the averages would be very different. The problem with averages is people then accept, train, and carry for the averages. If you train for 3/3/3 and carry a five round snub-nose revolver without a reload for defense, what happens when two or three assailants start shooting at you from 25 yards? I have carried guns for over fifty years. As a civilian, I had to draw my gun once back in the 1960s and I did not have to fire it. Statistics say I don't need to carry a gun.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
There are lots of statistics published about the average gun fight. The 3/3/3 rule is often posted or quoted. That is three shots at three yards in three seconds. There are few references to where those statistics came from. The averages most likely include law enforcement one on one gun encounters which happen at closer ranges due to the nature of their work. If you included military encounters, the averages would be very different. The problem with averages is people then accept, train, and carry for the averages. If you train for 3/3/3 and carry a five round snub-nose revolver without a reload for defense, what happens when two or three assailants start shooting at you from 25 yards? I have carried guns for over fifty years. As a civilian, I had to draw my gun once back in the 1960s and I did not have to fire it. Statistics say I don't need to carry a gun.
Nailed it.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
The 7 yard mark is what most sources seem to agree upon for most encounters. I usually target practice to be within 1 inch of the bullseye at that distance, 2 inches at 10 yards and on a pie plate at 25 yards. If BG is running towards me with a weapon, 7 yards is probably less than a second and I would like to be able to hit that before it's on top of me.

Reactions: jjmcd

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
3-6 feet.

Go read up on the Tueller Drill.

Over two decades ago, Sgt. Tueller wondered how quickly an attacker with a knife could cover those same 21 feet. So he measured as volunteers raced to stab a target. He determined that the distance could easily be crossed in 1.5 seconds. These results were first published as an article in S.W.A.T. Magazine in 1983 and in a police training video by the same title, “How Close is Too Close?”.

A person armed with a holstered handgun has a dilemma. If he shoots too early, he risks being charged with murder. If he waits until the attacker is definitely within striking range so there is no question about motives, he risks injury and even death. The Tueller experiments quantified a “danger zone” where an attacker presented a clear threat.

Reactions: BlueHawk76

·
Registered
491 Posts
I copied these facts/statistics from an E-Book published by Beretta:

Concealed carry shooting statistics from a Beretta E-book on concealed carry

"... SOME STATISTICS
55% of gunfights take place 0-5 feet.
20% of gunfights take place in 5-10 feet.
20% of gunfights take place in 10-21 feet.
(ETA) – 75% take place within 10 ft.
95% of gunfights take place in 0-21 feet. (Source- FBI)

The average man can cover 21 feet of ground in 1.5
seconds.

The average man cannot draw a gun from concealment
in under 2 seconds.

The average gunfight is over in 3-5 seconds.
3 to 4 shots are usually fired.

Most gunfights take place in low light conditions.
On average, one shot in four strikes someone."

Hope that's what you were looking for.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
You dont get to choose the engagement distance. The distance chooses you.
You are right Spuk. IMO I think to many people are putting to much faith in these stats. The real world will dictate distance. If we do not train farther than 21 feet I think we are doing ourselves a dis-service....

Reactions: Ghost1958

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
I copied these facts/statistics from an E-Book published by Beretta:

Concealed carry shooting statistics from a Beretta E-book on concealed carry

"... SOME STATISTICS
55% of gunfights take place 0-5 feet.
20% of gunfights take place in 5-10 feet.
20% of gunfights take place in 10-21 feet.
(ETA) – 75% take place within 10 ft.
95% of gunfights take place in 0-21 feet. (Source- FBI)

The average man can cover 21 feet of ground in 1.5
seconds.

The average man cannot draw a gun from concealment
in under 2 seconds.

The average gunfight is over in 3-5 seconds.
3 to 4 shots are usually fired.

Most gunfights take place in low light conditions.
On average, one shot in four strikes someone."

Hope that's what you were looking for.
Get off the "X"

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Old Mick,

What year(s) are those stats from? In today's "spray and pray" society, I'd have thought that the number of rounds fired would be higher.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Again, Situation Awareness comes to the forefront about time and distance. If you draw early, nothing really happens unless you pull the trigger.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Old Mick,

What year(s) are those stats from? In today's "spray and pray" society, I'd have thought that the number of rounds fired would be higher.
Not sure where/when Beretta got those stats, or how old they are, just relaying the information I thought was interesting enough to copy and save. However, I believe I read the E-book sometime this year because the MS Word Doc I created with the info. is dated March of 2013.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
The 7 yard mark is what most sources seem to agree upon for most encounters. I usually target practice to be within 1 inch of the bullseye at that distance, 2 inches at 10 yards and on a pie plate at 25 yards. If BG is running towards me with a weapon, 7 yards is probably less than a second and I would like to be able to hit that before it's on top of me.
Unless I'm practicing for accuracy, which I do mostly with the one hole drill done at 3-5 yds. I shoot to make hits in what I've drawn up to be my kill zone as fast as possible. This is also done while GOTX. The less distance you have the faster it needs to be done, so the less reference to gun sights as distance increases more imput on gun and sights are given.

Here is a picture of my target...

002.jpg

Any hits inside the lines is a good hit no matter the grouping, in my book.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Again, Situation Awareness comes to the forefront about time and distance. If you draw early, nothing really happens unless you pull the trigger.
If there is no threat, how do you explain to the DA the reason for brandishing? No threat there is no need for the drawing of a deadly weapon in my book.

Reactions: Doghandler and Nix

·
Registered
199 Posts
So,someone with a knife will be much closer that 21 feet by the time you can draw and fire. If this situation comes up and he moves closer without making threats or showing a weapon you are going to get hurt,which I believe will be the case in a lot of "scenarios" talked about. In these cases both parties may get hurt. I try to have the mind set that I will try to last long enough to inflict damage if I am trying to give family time. I hope they don't use that time to stand and watch. I would think in almost all self defense situations the defender will be at a great disadvantage. The perp knows what is about to happen.You may not. The times quoted above seem reasonable to me.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
What exactly is a gunfight?... what is an armed confrontation?... Is it required that both parties exchange shots?... If you were shot at but survived.. and didnt return fire.. were you in a gunfight? If you had to fire your gun, and the bad guy never got a chance to shoot... does that count? If you and bad guy both fired but missed... was that a gun fight?

Is I said before, you dont get to choose what happen's when it happens, where it happens, why it happens, or how it happens. You as an armed citizen will always be behind the curve. Getting all tied up with stats, and assumptions. IMO This will only push you further behind the curve.

It's not like on TV

·
Registered
141 Posts
Unless we get involved in someone else's fight, robberies, rapes and carjackings are the primary reasons a CCW would need a pistol. Robberies, rapes and carjackings happen at very close range, usually in semi darkness and by surprise.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
You dont get to choose the engagement distance. The distance chooses you.

Self defense by definition and by statute requires that somebody had already engaged me or you directly or indirectly specific to how the statutes are written. Every state has some law pertaining to the use of force and specifically the use of deadly force.

I live in a medium sized home so as far as any home invasion scenario is concerned it likely to be within the 21 ft. range or closer. There are longer but highly unlikely possibilities due to the layout of the house, a simple walkout ranch.

In public the most likely threat will be close range ambush when SA has failed. You'll need a repertoire that involves more than guns to get yourself out of that one. You have been hunted down.

1 - 20 of 107 Posts