Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Sicilian? About self-defense? Why don't you pick a culture that's been fighting for it's very EXISTANCE for over 5000 years? Fer Gaud's sake (pun intended), ask a...Jew! :image035:

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
Sales pitch? Hardly. He's not selling it. I actually used to carry cut-resistant gloves (or one) for my alive hand when I was a Ute and carried a balisong. Thankfully I didn't have to test that system, lol.

·
Banned
3,342 Posts
I think this is a great video. Though there are guys who fight in HEMAS (European style with some armor) and are highly skilled they are a rare exception. Here, a seat-of-the-pants, off the cuff guide I just typed up about training.

Sorry it's long.

The big list of training diseases

o Training is a hobby and not a means to an end

o Ring rust and mental fatigue is an issue

o Training injuries are not worth being crippled in old age when you need SD the most.

o You are always one step behind the surprise of an attack even one you see coming

o Any skill is going to only give you a slight edge, if you can get past the lag

o All training should be done as team, or finding team. You can not do it by yourself.

o Any system that requires ‘first be Bruce Lee’ is doomed to fail

o Use low-attribute-based methods which will work for your 17 yo daughter.

o Wanting to make sure you get your money’s worth from any training by using it

o SA will aways fail when you need it most. It’s an illusion that one person can use SA (which is different from being distracted)

o The biggest SD mistake we make is we ‘cling’. Cling to a goal, cling to our anger, cling to our entitlement.

o The predator that will trump you is the one who truly scares you. It is almost impossible to train for an experienced predator or mugger. He is getting experience that works. You are at most simulating.

o Most SD training that you don’t view as a hobby is just dexterity training. View it as such.

o The best SD training which most people will not do is cardiovascular training. It’s not glamorous and it’s hard work. Much better to take a seminar and get a t-shirt and be deluded and feel fulfilled

o SD is not a ‘collection of tricks’. Didn’t we learn this when the UFC/MMA era occurred.

o All training that does not include footwork, movement, timing and resistance is pretty much ineffective

o It’s very hard to be honest with yourself about your methods

o Big strong trainers are embarrassed to lose or ask for help and will often walk into a situation they know they can’t win (think broadly about this)

o It’s fun to learn training aspects. It’s not fun to learn the law and be constrained by it

o The key principles are those learned in firearm training not H2H. Seek distance, time and cover.

o Any effective training must include both internal and external methods. Internal is about the move or the weapon or the gun or the knife. External is about melee, tactics, strategy like in paintball or simmunition training. You must know how to fight and move with your tool. Accuracy, fast draw, caliber and backup weapons are only a small part of the package.

o Think in terms of directed SD and indirect SD. Directed is when you are a target as in have a stalker. Indirect is a random event (mugging) or a home invasion (they’re coming at your house, reason or not).

o It’s not ‘what you do’ it’s ‘how you get there’. Saying ‘be alert’ is not enough. You must find out how you are able to be alert. Saying control your anger is not enough. You must know how you get control of anger.

o Remember we have met the enemy and they is us. We are our own worst enemy.

o Look to fill the holes in your system. Learn how to recognize those holes.

Think about your system and add your own ideas.

·
Registered
4,239 Posts
A flashlight and armor. Don't need a video for that.

·
Administrator
144,127 Posts
Actually....I believe that there are more modern materials that are as equally...."stab proof" (or more so) than Chain Mail.

·
Registered
32 Posts
As a person who actually owns chain mail and leather armor,( both for LARPing and post apocalyptic combat in REAL chain mail and/or leather armor with metal plates which really love) I don't find any use for it in the everyday world. I don't wear or have any modern body armor, because 1 shot the head and game over! BUT even chain mail has it's weakness........spike type bayonets and such will find the flaws very fast. And yes, I do know how to use a sword and various other outdated and archaic weapons with an above average degree of lethality.

Reactions: AzQkr

·
Administrator
144,127 Posts
Sometimes....I cannot but wonder how seemingly very intelligent human beings can have these skewed thought processes.

NOTE TO INDIVIDUAL.
Do not post a Video on YouTube that has over 7,000 views (that number sure to climb) and state that nobody but, family, relatives, and close friends know that you are wearing Chain Mail under your clothing every day.

:biggrin2: Because Now....at least 7,000 people know that you do.

And if I was your crazy co-worker that got into a heated argument with you and I decided to go ballistic on you.....well, you can finish the rest of that story in your own head. :yup:

But, I would know EXACTLY where to run up to you... and exactly where to NOT stab you. :rofl:

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Slice-resistant Kevlar "arm protector" sleeves are commonplace work-gear for several vocations. Large-panel glass glazers come immediately to mind. Since most (practical) knife defense-techniques involve knowingly "sacrificing" an arm to save the more vital body core, it might not be a bad idea. Me personally? I've grown fond of a sleeve dagger (Kydex sheath). It conceals covertly, accesses easily & offers at least of bit of counter-slice protection. As for "chain mail"? I'll bet it's difficult to...swim in. :blink:

·
Registered
262 Posts
He has a nice bayonet in his hands, I will give him that much. If he can do anything with it remains in question. I carry a home made walking staff, and it is made of aluminum, he might lose the fight if it ever came to it. I am just saying, that a big knife is a good thing, but it ain't everything.:slap:

·
Administrator
144,127 Posts
I had a pair of Kevlar gloves that were interwoven with hardened Stainless steel threads.

We were supposed to were them where I worked years ago when we were polishing/buffing sharp/edged objects.

I never wore them and just paid close attention to what I was doing......because....with the Horse Power of the polishing machines we were using, if you caught a Kevlar glove the buffer would pull an arm off.

So I just wore tight fitting thin latex gloves and paid close attention to what I was working on.

I worked with one guy that prepping his personal vintage car headlight rings for bright chrome plating catch one on the wheel and it tore his hand off.

He was doing them..."on his own time" during lunch and eating lunch at the same time didn't work out too well for him.

Anyway....that was totally off topic. :yup:

But, to get back on topic. Kevlar is mighty doggone tough stuff.

I have spool of Kevlar thread in w/ my S.H.T.F. gear and and I can't break it pulling it with everything I've got.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Sorry but you do not learn SD skills by genetics, osmosis or culture.
Well BB, the conversation started by "Self Defense thoughts from a Sicilian", so apparently someone brought culture & ethnicity into the conversation well before my mentioning it. And yes, you're correct to a degree. Yet, in the mid-1800's West, I would MUCH rather tangle with a Mormon than an...Apache. Culture (IMHO) certainly DOES effect a willingness & capability to fight. You, of course, can make any decision that suits you. I feel the same way about citizens of ancient Sparta, backwoods ******* Southerners, housing project minorities & New Jersey wiseguys. Today? I give more credence to survival advice from a street-savvy Jewish civilian from Jerusalem than from an internet Sicilian. :image035:

Reactions: Eric357

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
Some of the best knife fighters in the world are housed in some of our state prisons across the country. I have seen some of their handiwork first hand! These inmates wind up getting masters level and phd thesis training in prison. Just my .02 worth.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts