Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been progressively getting more hobbled by this issue on my right big toe. I haven’t had an issue with it since my grandfather cut it out when I was a teenager.

But man! It has been back for a few months now, and I’ve tried to ignore it, but now that hunting season is starting Saturday, I knew I had to deal with it last night.

I cut and clipped my way to the ingrown part, but then I couldn’t find a pair of tweezers.

So, knowing this was gonna hurt like the dickens, I found me a piece of wood used for fire kindling to bite down on, fixed a bucket of hot water with 10% bleach, and got a pair of needle nose pliers and went to work.

I was able to get the blade of my pocket knife under a piece of the ingrown nail to lift it up, so I could get a good pinch on it with the pliers, and started pulling it out....I was making a nice dental imprint in the wood at this time. A final yank pulled it free.

A slight infection had set in, so I made a little slice in the skin to help it drain, and then stuck my foot down in the hot bleach water ( still biting on the wood)

Wife came in the room a few minutes later to say she had found the tweezers, lol. She about freaked when I showed her the pliers, knife and toe.

Happy to report no pain today, and Im ready to put on the hunting boots and traverse the hills Saturday.

Damned if there’s nothing I wouldn’t do to make sure I didn’t miss opening day!

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
That hurts just reading it! It is a great relief, though, to get an ingrown nail "gone."

For the future: My father (wise man that he was) told me that if you file the tops of your toe nails flat..........not the ends, the top surface....every week or two, you will not get ingrown toe nails. When I get the beginnings of one, I cut it as far as I can and get my trusty old nail file out and start making a "plateau" on the top of my big toe nails. It works. You just have to know when to stop filing, so the surface is flat enough to encourage the sides to grow up and out and not down and in - but not so thin that the nail will break or crack open.

I told my father's foot doctor about that and he said he never heard of such a thing......well of course not. It would take away a lot of his business.

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Wow, that would have been a great You Tube video especially close ups of the bite block and the pliers t work. OUCH!

Reactions: bill35738

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Sounds like watching the Toe Bro !!!! Yikes...my whole spine went numb !!!!!

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Been progressively getting more hobbled by this issue on my right big toe. I haven’t had an issue with it since my grandfather cut it out when I was a teenager.

But man! It has been back for a few months now, and I’ve tried to ignore it, but now that hunting season is starting Saturday, I knew I had to deal with it last night.

I cut and clipped my way to the ingrown part, but then I couldn’t find a pair of tweezers.

So, knowing this was gonna hurt like the dickens, I found me a piece of wood used for fire kindling to bite down on, fixed a bucket of hot water with 10% bleach, and got a pair of needle nose pliers and went to work.

I was able to get the blade of my pocket knife under a piece of the ingrown nail to lift it up, so I could get a good pinch on it with the pliers, and started pulling it out....I was making a nice dental imprint in the wood at this time. A final yank pulled it free.

A slight infection had set in, so I made a little slice in the skin to help it drain, and then stuck my foot down in the hot bleach water ( still biting on the wood)

Wife came in the room a few minutes later to say she had found the tweezers, lol. She about freaked when I showed her the pliers, knife and toe.

Happy to report no pain today, and Im ready to put on the hunting boots and traverse the hills Saturday.

Damned if there’s nothing I wouldn’t do to make sure I didn’t miss opening day!
You Kentucky boys are a tough bunch. In my neck of the woods we got Doctors that take care of painful stuff like that. :biggrin2:

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
G-Man, I was flinching as I read your story!! Glad you didn't miss opening day!!

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You Kentucky boys are a tough bunch. In my neck of the woods we got Doctors that take care of painful stuff like that. :biggrin2:
A doc would have been preferable, but I waited too long to get an appointment:)

·
Registered
Various
15,495 Posts
I had ingrown toenails on both sides of both big toes as a teenager. There were several self-surgeries and medical surgeries. I finally discovered not to ever cut the toenails on my big toes. I use a file and file the nail flat across the end of the toe.

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had ingrown toenails on both sides of both big toes as a teenager. There were several self-surgeries and medical surgeries. I finally discovered not to ever cut the toenails on my big toes. I use a file and file the nail flat across the end of the toe.
That will work unless your nails have too much curve, which mine do.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Tossing this out cause I do self surgery too; Orajel tooth pain will do a nice job of numbing. Crazy glue is great for skin closure and repair :yup:

good job G-man, you had a plan and went through with it 👍🏻

·
Registered
33,893 Posts
G-man, I'm thinking if you ever shoot yourself, you'll have a record-length thread. "How to dig out a bullet with a tire iron and spatula." People who haven't posted in years will come back to chime in.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Ouch! I used to have problems with this. I would take some cotton and shove under the corner of my nails to lift it up, and allow it to grow without digging into my toe.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts