Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be visiting a gun show tomorrow, and we're looking to turn a Beretta Neos (22LR pistol) into cash. I'm not sure how best to do this: local 'trading post' newspaper, Gunbroker, this site... or in front of the show?

Do I want to carry it openly with a "Might Be..." sign on it, in hopes that someone might ask about it?

I'm not keen on selling to Joe Public, but I also kinda doubt that this is a weapon a bad guy would want - it's more of a get-started-with plinker. The local sheriff can't or won't run someone on a call from me, and I forgot to call the ATF office to get their advice. I won't sell to someone if my neck hairs stand up, and would certainly get Driver's License info and a cell phone photo... but I'm still not sure I want to do this. If I do a GunBroker deal, it is really the FFL at the other end who makes the final sale.

Thoughts?

(this isn't ours, but will refresh your memory for the type)

·
Registered
37 Posts
An idea is to sell to someone that has their CHP.. Then you know that they have already passed the background check..

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quite happy with the Neos, but Dear Daughter has since graduated to a Bersa 380CC and she'll be trying on the smaller 9mm pistols tomorrow with me at the gun show. Yay!

If you're a 1911 enthusiast, I would go with the Ruger: I believe it has the same form as the 1911 and would probably fill a niche for training. The Neos has a more angled grip: quite ergonomic, I'm told, but different. My thought is that this is a great starter for a kid to get into shooting tin cans, or for someone who wants a varmint pistol.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I have only sold one gun at a gunshow. It was a Walther P99 that I just didnt like. I bought it out of haste and wish I never had. So when the Gun Show came around, I made a sign with all the info except for the price. I left the gun locked in the car. This way, if someone wanted it, they would have to come out to my car to get it. This put me in control. Some people dont like to have their picture taken with a cell phone or do paper work or whatever. But if they take the time to walk all the way out to YOUR car, they might not care espically if the price is right. Anyway, before I got through the door, a man approched me asking about it. I told him I wanted $600 since I only put about 100rds though it and he walked to my car, filled out a bill of sale, I took his picture of him holding the gun (he had no complaints and thought that to be very smart, said he learned something from that), he handed me 600 dollors cash. ALL BEFORE I GOT THROUGH THE DOOR! If I ever feel the need to sell another firearm again, I will probably do it at a gunshow.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
I'll be at that show tomorrow. How much you want for it? I can PM you my cell number and meet you at the show and do a private sale before we go in. That would save you some time and hassle and if it saves me some cash it's a good deal all the way around. Let me know.

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
All you need to do around here is walk into the gun show with something in a case and people will ask you about it. A lot of them will hit you up before you get in the door.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I'll be visiting a gun show tomorrow, and we're looking to turn a Beretta Neos (22LR pistol) into cash. I'm not sure how best to do this: local 'trading post' newspaper, Gunbroker, this site... or in front of the show?
Thoughts?
If you are in Virginia it seems there are complications. :icon_neutral:

Virginia State Police - Firearms/Concealed Weapons

LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308.2:2

"What are the laws concerning the private sale of a handgun?
To privately sell a firearm, it is recommended that you safeguard information pertaining to the transaction such as the date the firearm was sold, the complete name and address of the buyer, and the make, model, and serial number of the firearm. The seller and buyer of a handgun must be a resident of the state in which the transfer occurs. Additionally, Virginia’s handgun purchase limitation applies in private transactions. Refer to Virginia State Police - Multiple Handgun Purchase for additional information on multiple handgun purchases. Should the firearm ever be located at a crime scene, trace of the firearm will determine the licensed dealer who last sold the firearm and will identify the last buyer of the firearm. To have your name removed from this process, you may consider placing your firearm on consignment with a licensed dealer. This will also ensure that the firearm is transferred only to a lawfully eligible individual."

·
Registered
682 Posts
Yeah, you can carry the weapon in, there are cops that will check it out to make sure it's empty. Take a sign, have two copies of a print out detailing the weapon serial number, who it was sold from & to. Have a digital camera, if they don't want their pic taken, don't sell 'em a gun.
I'll suggest against going out to the car, you're far safer inside with a bunch of people around.

·
Registered
785 Posts
In SC, all you are required to do is determine, to the best of your ability, that the buyer lives in the same state as you. I've seen people walking around in gun shows with a paper sign taped to their back - "XXX for sale". Works well. Determine what your rock bottom dollar is and stick to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts