Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thinking of either a Taurus 709 Slim or a Taurus P111. Thoughts? I want to stay with the 9mm caliber. So please don't suggest any other caliber. I also want something under $400.

·
Registered
838 Posts
You may like the Bersa UC9PRO
It a little heavy but you can still CC it.
Sorry, the photos not to good

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
You may be able to find a Kahr CW9 under $400. The price limit really restricts whats available to you. Some quality used guns may be something to consider.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
I like my pt111, but don't carry it as often as my 24/7 Pro.

What size are you looking for? Do you want compact, sub compact, or will you go up to a more full sized pistol?

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I'd stick with the Bersa.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
I hate to hear that you are parting with your Bersa .380. Finding ammo may be tough right now, and 9mm is a more powerful round, but the Bersa is perhaps the best of the PPK types available. I'll bet the day will come when you regret selling your .380. Since you already have a firearm, why not wait a bit and save up before buying a 9?

When you do buy a new pistol, bear in mind you will also need a holster for it, a spare magazine or two, a couple of hundred rounds of practice ammo so you and your new friend can bond, and enough defensive ammo to know the pistol will feed it reliably with enough left over for carry. The ammo, mags and holster will eat up $300-350 of your $400, leaving only a few bucks plus the money from the sale/trade of the Bersa. You will be lmited to buying a very few models of very used 9mms.

Yes, I know I am a grouchy old killjoy, my wife tells me that all the time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have a Taurus PT111, and the trigger on mine isn't great. Other than that it's a good pistol. I really like the 709 (but haven't shot it yet), I think that will be my next purchase.

I also own the Bersa .380cc. I think it's a great gun, but I understand wanting to "upgrade" caliber.

·
Registered
862 Posts
used glock 26 in 9mm is always a good cc one in 9mm. also check out used Karh's too they make a great slim cc gun as well.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
I'd stick with the Bersa.
Don't want your new 9mm to be lonely, do you. You seldom get what it's worth for back up, spouse, or hideout. That way, as you save up for something really nice, a tool for life, you'll have a chance to consider the 40's and 45's. Anthing worth shooting with a 9 is worth shooting with a 45.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My 2 cents...

How about a small, slim, lightweight, dependable 9mm...say a Kel Tec PF-9...with the LaserLite and pocket clip, it cost right around $400.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Calibers: 9mm Luger
Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz.
Loaded magazine: 2.8 oz.
Length: 5.85"
Height: 4.3"
Width: .88"
Barrel Length: 3.1"
Capacity: 7 + 1

·
Super Moderator
19,702 Posts
In compact 9s, I have a Taurus PT111 (one of the original series, not a 'Pro') and a Kahr CW9.

The PT111 is 10+1 capacity; CW9 is 7+1

I carry both in paddle holsters. The CW9 is definitely slimmer; weight feels about the same on the hip.

CW9 has a longer grip which accommodates all 4 fingers, but the trigger guard is smallish and I wouldn't shoot it with gloves. The PT111 has a shorter grip and my pinkie goes under the mag, but its a thicker, chunkier grip and gives good support.

Accuracy is about the same.

Trigger - the edge goes to the Kahr for smoother, shorter and lighter pull. The Taurus trigger takes some getting used to; it's a long pull (but not gritty at all) and you can 'stage' the trigger with practice.

Reliability - hard to say definitively. The Taurus went back to the factory when it went 'click' instead of bang at about 1000 rounds, and it's been fine since. The CW9 has run like a sewing machine since I got it, well past the 1000 round mark. (And FWIW, relative to some Kahr discussions here, I almost never use the slide release - I 'slingshot' the slide to chamber the first round. Never a problem with this gun.)

I think the PT111 is a little cheaper than the CW9, and I would opt for the Pro model for slightly higher capacity. But if you're OK with 7+1 capacity, the slimness of the Kahr makes it the one I'd pick if I could only have one.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Taurus Slim is a great gun. My father in law has one and we have both put quite a few problem free rounds through it. My dad even borrowed it to try out and has one on his list now.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I am a fan of the Taurus 709. I recently started carrying one and it's a dream to carry. Light, thin, accurate, adjustable rear sigt, external saftey, reliable and very little recoil for a sub compat.. I have zeo issues carrying it OWB with just a light short as cover.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I like my pt111, but don't carry it as often as my 24/7 Pro.

What size are you looking for? Do you want compact, sub compact, or will you go up to a more full sized pistol?
This is the P111 I'm looking at:

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

And this is the 709 Slim, for those that don't know:

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc

I hate to hear that you are parting with your Bersa .380. Finding ammo may be tough right now, and 9mm is a more powerful round, but the Bersa is perhaps the best of the PPK types available. I'll bet the day will come when you regret selling your .380. Since you already have a firearm, why not wait a bit and save up before buying a 9?

When you do buy a new pistol, bear in mind you will also need a holster for it, a spare magazine or two, a couple of hundred rounds of practice ammo so you and your new friend can bond, and enough defensive ammo to know the pistol will feed it reliably with enough left over for carry. The ammo, mags and holster will eat up $300-350 of your $400, leaving only a few bucks plus the money from the sale/trade of the Bersa. You will be limited to buying a very few models of very used 9mms.

Yes, I know I am a grouchy old killjoy, my wife tells me that all the time.
Well, I already have a Beretta Px4 Storm in 9mm so I have more than enough ammo, both FMJ (1,100+) and hollow points (440+) so there's no extra expense there. Then, I already have a holster that will fit either the Slim AND the P111, so no expense there. Both the Slim and the P111 come with two mags so no expense there.... hhmmm. I already tried the holsters I have sitting around on both guns and they're usable for these guns. I use WRB IWBs. And even if I did have to buy one, a WRB is less than $30.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How about a small, slim, lightweight, dependable 9mm...say a Kel Tec PF-9...with the LaserLite and pocket clip, it cost right around $400.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Calibers: 9mm Luger
Weight unloaded: 12.7 oz.
Loaded magazine: 2.8 oz.
Length: 5.85"
Height: 4.3"
Width: .88"
Barrel Length: 3.1"
Capacity: 7 + 1
Nope.... I know a lot of people like them but I'd NEVER own a Kel-Tec... NEVER. I shot one once and my hand hurt like crazy after the first magazine... and yes, it was a 9mm. I feel the same way about Glocks. I know they have a following but I'd never own one. Actually I can't stand the way they feel in my hand and if it doesn't feel good in my hands, I won't shoot it well enough when it really counts. I'm also not too keen on buying anything used. Instead of suggesting other guns for CC, I'm more looking for comments on what you guys think about the two I'm thinking about... both good and bad points.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Your original post said you wanted something under 400 bucks, in a 9mm. It did not specify what size pistol you were wanting. I along with most other members of this forum know how big a PT111 or a 709 are.

The reason I mentioned the 24/7 is that it meets the criteria of under 400 bucks and 9mm, but holds 17+1 rds. Is that too big for you to carry daily?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Your original post said you wanted something under 400 bucks, in a 9mm. It did not specify what size pistol you were wanting. I along with most other members of this forum know how big a PT111 or a 709 are.

The reason I mentioned the 24/7 is that it meets the criteria of under 400 bucks and 9mm, but holds 17+1 rds. Is that too big for you to carry daily?
Yes, that's too big for me to want to carry daily. I'm looking at models that are for concealed carry. Although a 24/7 might be a good gun, I don't think it was meant to be for CC but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Nope.... I know a lot of people like them but I'd NEVER own a Kel-Tec... NEVER. I shot one once and my hand hurt like crazy after the first magazine... and yes, it was a 9mm. I feel the same way about Glocks. I know they have a following but I'd never own one. Actually I can't stand the way they feel in my hand and if it doesn't feel good in my hands, I won't shoot it well enough when it really counts. I'm also not too keen on buying anything used. Instead of suggesting other guns for CC, I'm more looking for comments on what you guys think about the two I'm thinking about... both good and bad points.
Just another suggestion. If you go with the 709 try a Hogue Jr slip on grip. I loved the gun before I put it on but after.....it was even better!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts