Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm watching the Today show and their breaking news is that there will be a formal announcement at 11:00 am ET today about an agreement being reached. The only details is that it won't cover transfers between family members (i.e., it won't be truly universal). I haven't been able to find any more details at this time. The statement was that this bi-partisan group has enough votes to "block a Republican filibuster."

If that is indeed true hopefully things will stop in the House.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
We will have to (READ) the actual proposed law.
I am certain it will contain enough nebulous verbage to give the anti's wiggle room to interpret as they see fit.

I think I'll apply to law school. The courts will be over flowing for years!

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it turns out to be SB 480 it might not be so bad, but the way it was portrayed (NBC, so who knows) it seems like it will be worse.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Termination of debate (cloture) scheduled for Thu, 4/10/13

From the Congressional Record's Daily Digest for 4/9/2013 said:
Daily Digest (pD283) ... Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act — Cloture:

Senate began consideration of the motion to proceed to consideration of S. 649, to ensure that all individuals who should be prohibited from buying a firearm are listed in the national instant criminal background check system and require a background check for every firearm sale. Pages S2475–78, S2482–92

A motion was entered to close further debate on the motion to proceed to consideration of the bill, and, in accordance with the provisions of Rule XXII of the Standing Rules of the Senate, a vote on cloture will occur on Thursday, April 11, 2013. Page S2492

A unanimous-consent-time agreement was reached providing for further consideration of the motion to proceed to consideration of the bill at approximately 9:30 a.m., on Wednesday, April 10, 2013, and the next hour be equally divided and controlled between the two Leaders, or their designees, with Senators permitted to speak therein for up to 10 minutes each, with the first half controlled by the Republicans and the second half controlled by the Majority. Page S2509

9:30am Weds, 4/10/13, on C-SPAN -- This is when the discussion on the floor will occur, subject to apparently agreed-upon restrictions on debate, including proposed cloture (termination of further debate) on Thurs, 4/11.

·
Premium Member
39,190 Posts
If it turns out to be SB 480 it might not be so bad, but the way it was portrayed (NBC, so who knows) it seems like it will be worse.
The networks are going to portray anything as a victory, and maybe it is.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
So the Senate will take a test vote on Thursday. lets say they can get it to pass. What is next. Doesn't the House have to pass it?

FYI: for the record I am against it! enough is enough! It is time to move on from the Gun control talk

·
Super Moderator
19,236 Posts
If passed then it goes to the house for their consideration then back to the senate to iron out any differences.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
If passed then it goes to the house for their consideration then back to the senate to iron out any differences.
Thats what I thought but remember how obamacare got pushed thru. Middle of the night closed doors who knows what kind of deals they will cut.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Thats what I thought but remember how obamacare got pushed thru. Middle of the night closed doors who knows what kind of deals they will cut.
Yea, but that happened with a democratic majority in the House. We have a Republican majority so it won't be that easy.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Surprised to find a decent, balanced story on CNN about why new gun laws probably won't be effective. This link was right under the link about the potential Senate deal. Not used to seeing things like this lately.

CNN Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Another NRA A rated traitor to our side just killed the filibuster and opened the flood gates. Why am I not surprised? If a senator sits on the fence like that and flops over to the other side how in the world do they get A ratings from NRA???? I think ill go for a ride before i run my head through a wall:mad: I decided to do the NRA thing because a lot here said I should but never ever again. Shouldnt have this time.

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
It going to pass no matter what.

Its a done deal. Anything else is semantics.

Obama care passed.
I thought we had this stopped but now I think I gotta agree with you Hotguns. A few senators were ready to hit this head on but after being back stabbed by their own I cant say I blame em for not wanting to be thrown under the bus that will be allowed to roll over them no matter what they do.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Notice how they dangled little tidbits like "we will let you carry your gun across all state lines etc." to entice people to get on board. We all know this will never happen and will be conveniently lost and forgotten...

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
I am not going to get my pants in a bunch just yet. There are some conditions that have to be met. I don't think Rand and his buddies gives a crap what Coburn says.

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
Im not sure we have a majority in the house I have been seeing a lot of turncoats but thats just some of the feedback I have been getting

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just read this on Yahoo news and it said "The new bill would expand checks to nearly every gun transaction except for some private sales and transfers among relatives." And Toomey said "he added some provisions to strengthen gun rights in the bill, including allowing a legal gun owner to take his or her concealed weapon over state lines while traveling, even if that state does not allow concealed carry."I do not believe the Anti-States would like the provision Toomey put in if the Yahoo news happens to be true.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts