Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there have any experience with a Serbu Shorty, either 12ga. or 20ga.?

I'm considering it for home and vehicle use.

Thank you for any, and all, responses.

Wes.

·
Administrator
143,595 Posts
The Serbu is an AOW Weapon iffen my memory serves me correctly.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
It's a AOW. But......you cannot carry this for CC right?? Only 3 shot also, so would rather have 8X.45 than 3X12ga anyway. + innocent bystanders >>ouch !! -------Also it is a 5buck transfer and a 6month(or so) wait. -------

·
Registered
940 Posts
It's a AOW. But......you cannot carry this for CC right??
Depends on the state. Here rifles and shotguns are specifically listed as AOK for concealed carry without a permit.

I don't need one for my SBR HK-51 clone ;0

·
Registered
30 Posts
Very managable with 12 ga. Reducded recoil Buck and slug IMHO.
I can chamber my second shell before the first hull hits the floor, mark has these just SOOO slick.

·
Administrator
21,106 Posts
Not like there's anything wrong with a wall of "00" buck when you need it...why have a pump action weapon as a car gun when you'll need two hands to cycle the action. Not to mention that you'll have an accuracy of oh 2' IMHO you'd be better off with something elese, with the 3 rd capacity I'd just get a double barrel 12

·
Registered
30 Posts
jdlv4_0 said:
Not like there's anything wrong with a wall of "00" buck when you need it...why have a pump action weapon as a car gun when you'll need two hands to cycle the action. Not to mention that you'll have an accuracy of oh 2' IMHO you'd be better off with something elese, with the 3 rd capacity I'd just get a double barrel 12
I partially agree. I DONT use mine for the vehicle BUT do HD. Then again 1 rd. of 00Buck from Drivers seat to passenger window distance should be plenty? ive shot and own both and find the recoil on the SS MUCHHH more plseant then the SXS (BearClaw) Just my opinion. Again otherwise agreed :).

·
Administrator
21,106 Posts
I can see the home defense aspect, short barrel for cornering and all, but still...I can think of better options that a $700 pump gun. There's a difference between what looks cool/works vs. WHAT WORKS. I'm not trying to start an argument, but why spend that kind of money on a three shot pump action 12g or 20g pistol, when you can spend $350 for a decent Remington that can have more use than collecting dust behind a drivers seat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
First off spent 5 not 7 :) BUT your point is well taken and frankly ONE dosent do the Job of the other, nothing points quicker and hits harder at a point blank personal distance than this gun PERIOD....does that make it the perfect tool for every job? By no means sir, you are once again correct, DOES make it a Darn useful tool for MANY jobs though...just one more option NOT an overall solution, and always a pleasure to share opinions so never have concern please...
LD

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a few and while this was excpetional quick IMHO my tax stamp wait was 12 days for this gun!!!! My personal best. LOL, just a neat note of interest.

LD

·
Administrator
21,106 Posts
Short Shots

So if I were inclined to ger a short barreled shotgun what do I have to go throught? While I wouldn't want the 3 shotter I wouldn't mind having a 15" remington auto with a folder on it. And out of curiosity why is it you can buy a bushmaster pistol with no hassle but a cut down 12 guage is a federal matter?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I hear ya....before I answer do you own, or are you a princip. of a Corp. of any type currently? Either way Feel free to email me and Ill walk you thru the process sir, Not difficult at all for most.

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My friend is a Fisheries Biologist in Bella Coola a valley with over 300 Grizzly bears at last count!! He is also the gun guy for the department and has been working on a 12 &14” 870 for bear defense carry for all of the biologists. I watched him last week blast away at a target with 3” magnum slugs 25 yards away with the 14” model with a traditional wood stock. All his hits were in the A zone, I was mightily impressed, as I was getting a bruise from firing my 20” 590 and getting less accuracy. He tried all sorts of folding stocks and pistol grips. They are fine for reduced loads, but not for the heavy loads and he came back to the traditional design. Another couple of problems with the shorties he has found with teaching their use to other people is that some people catch their fingers between the forestock and receiver when cycling and another problem is that some people are letting their hand move to far forward and he is worried somebody might blow off their fingers with them ahead of the muzzle.

I would stick to 14” as the minimum barrel length myself, and plan on getting my 590 cut down to 18.5”.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I love the looks of a 14" 870. I would love to get one. Since the stamp is only $5 I might look into is one day. But I'll need to get a good 870P to turn into a 14incher. I don't like the Expresses all that much.

·
Registered
30 Posts
remember if the gun Left the factory with a full stock and you cut it $200 stamp(SBS)....If it began life at THE FACTORY as a Pistol grip, Then the stamp is $5(AOW)....No problem getting a good 870 with full stock and cutting her down once paperwork and $200 SBS (Not AOW) are completed. Holler if any questions.
Russ

1 - 20 of 23 Posts