Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Glock 22 and am concedering a blackhawk SERPA holster for wintertime carry.

Has anyone tried it? Tips?

Thanks,

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
A Serpa holster will work fine for concealed carry if you're wearing a coat or at least an over-sized sweater.

They're popular for their natural draw motion and retention. I like them for winter time carry and open carry.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
works great for me in wintertime .

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
Personally, I think there are much better choices. :wink:

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I only use my Serpa at the range. It is way to bulky to conceal easily. Think brick stuck on your hip. I can conceal it if I wear a vest but that doesn't happen too often. Of course I don't have much use for a winter coat in Florida!

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
Yeah, but there may be snow up in the U.P. of MI by now.:wink: To add , I cannot conceal my Serpa under a t shirt well, but any light coat or sweatshirt usually works quite well. I found the shoulder rig system works o.k. and the paddle attachment makes the SERPA ride closer to the body than the belt slide attachment.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I really like my wife's Serpa for open carry or range carry. I haven't tried it for concealed winter carry yet, but it seems to stick out from the body quite a bit. I don't think it will conceal easily, but again, I haven't tried it yet.

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Serpa is Ok for range or OC, but, even with the paddle, it is fairly noticable. A heavy coat is going to do the job, but if you look around you will probably find something that will fill the bill better.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
I have a SERPA holster and found it to be just too bulky for my liking.

Besides I have a fondness for leather.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
I know I'm gong to ruffle a few feathers (again) but the Serpa's are junk. Sorry.

I'd look else where for a holster. CompTac makes a similar but much better designed product.

·
Registered
505 Posts
when i had my 1911 I had a serpa set up in a cross draw configuration and it was amazing, I could wear a Who Dey jersey or a button down shirt with a few bottom buttons buttoned and I was good to go

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
They are tough to conceal under a t shirt. I need a 2xl long to CC a G19 in a serpa. I'm sure I will use it more in the winter with a jacket. Looking for a OWB leather paddle to fill that gap. They are great for OC though.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
I know I'm gong to ruffle a few feathers (again) but the Serpa's are junk. Sorry.

I'd look else where for a holster. CompTac makes a similar but much better designed product.
So what is junk about the Serpa holsters? How are comp tac better?

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
So what is junk about the Serpa holsters? How are comp tac better?
The Serpa is a close second behind the Fobus in how many times they let the gun go in DT training. It seems as if they just let the gun rip loose at the slightest stress. The Taser holster is complete crap. Give it a dirty look and it drops the Taser. I'm not much of a Blackhawk fan at all. The should have stuck with nylon stuff. That is what they know best.

The comp tac conceals much better, is much more rigid without the bulk, and doesnt give any false sense of what it will or wont do.

·
Super Moderator
19,006 Posts
The Serpa is a close second behind the Fobus in how many times they let the gun go in DT training. It seems as if they just let the gun rip loose at the slightest stress. The Taser holster is complete crap. Give it a dirty look and it drops the Taser. I'm not much of a Blackhawk fan at all. The should have stuck with nylon stuff. That is what they know best.

The comp tac conceals much better, is much more rigid without the bulk, and doesnt give any false sense of what it will or wont do.
Thanks for clarifying. My buddy and I did try tearing one up with regards to a gun grabs/ wrestling but was unsuccessful. I actually picked him up by the holster once. Any links / ect to this issue?
Not doubting you but I want to learn more. As for BH nylon work , I was not that impressed with some of it. (but they did start to outsource to SE Asia too).

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Serpa does not conceal well. I recently bought a "Silent Thunder" from Tucker Gunleather. It's made of leather lined kydex. It is much slimmer and thus conceals better. There's also an IWB version that I didn't try. Another option if you like kydex and don't want to screw up the finish too bad.

·
Registered
806 Posts
when i had my 1911 I had a serpa set up in a cross draw configuration and it was amazing, I could wear a Who Dey jersey or a button down shirt with a few bottom buttons buttoned and I was good to go
+1!

I carry in just this fashion at 1030-1100. It works great! Surprisingly, it conceals rather well (given a cover shirt or hoodie), and with the winter coming, it is even easier to do.

For the price, you can't go wrong.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It is a great Holster

It is a great holster It does stick out a bit but for me I wear a leather vest winter or summer so it isn't really a problem for me. As for the holster itself . Once your weapon is in there it stays put until you hit the release button. A buddy and I tried different scenarios and he couldn't take it out.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts