Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
143,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
So...What do you all folks think of Sgt. Alvin York?
I think he absolutely kicks it! A True American hero!

"York's role as hero went beyond his exploit in the Argonne and continues to both inspire and confound. On October 8, 1918, Corporal Alvin C. York and sixteen other soldiers under the command of Sergeant Bernard Early were dispatched before sunrise to take command of the Decauville railroad behind Hill 223 in the Chatel-Chehery sector of the Meuse-Argonne sector. The seventeen men, due to a misreading of their map (which was in French not English) mistakenly wound up behind enemy lines. A brief fire fight ensued which resulted in the confusion and the unexpected surrender of a superior German force to the seventeen soldiers. Once the Germans realized that the American contingent was limited, machine gunners on the hill overlooking the scene turned the gun away from the front and toward their own troops. After ordering the German soldiers to lie down, the machine gun opened fire resulting in the deaths of nine Americans, including York's best friend in the outfit, Murray Savage. Sergeant Early received seventeen bullet wounds and turned the command over to corporals Harry Parsons and William Cutting, who ordered York to silence the machine gun. York was successful and when all was said and done, nine men had captured 132 prisoners."
MORE ABOUT Sgt. Alvin York

·
Administrator
143,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sgt. Alvin York

It's amazing how FEW decent quality photographs of Sgt. Alvin York there are on the web.
Only a pitiful handful of very small & poor quality photos. That's a shame.
I was looking for a decently sized photograph of him in uniform.
Nada. No Luck.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
Thanks for the link, QKShooter!

For a "born-again pacifist", Sgt. York was a warrior deluxe.

I just hope that if they ever remake the movie, they get the part about the 1911 Colt right this time....P.O.'s me every time I see Gary Cooper use a captured Luger to stop the charging squad of Germans :cool:

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
I have a book with a story about Alvin York...the book is titled "America, The Men and Their Guns That Made Her Great" and the story is titled "Alvin York - Citizen Soldier" by Garry James. I took this picture of one of the photos in it...hope it isn't too shaky!

·
Administrator
143,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Team American

Team American
THANKS!...for that photo. That's MUCH better! I just saved it to my 'puter
Heck...I searched the web for two hours looking for a photo about that size of him in uniform. Need the pic for my nephew.

·
Super Moderator
25,537 Posts
He was quite a guy!! Wish we had more like him today.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Amen. We do have some heros like that right now in Iraq and Afghanistan.

·
Registered
3,826 Posts
QKShooter, here is a better capture of that photo....was able to use the sunlight this morning :biggrin:

The photo caption notes that he is wearing both Medal of Honor and the French "Croix de Guerre" with palm. (proof that once-upon-a-time the French could actually appreciate American bravery and skill :smile: )

Also...I like your .45 picture frame in the first photo on this thread :hand9:

·
Administrator
143,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Team American

I REALLY appreciate that photo. Owe ya one! Absolutely perfect. I saved it and I already Sepia Toned it & framed it. It's going to work out amazingly well!

·
Registered
22 Posts
QK Thanks as always for the history reminder. My Great Grandfather was a drill sargent in that war. I would love to think he trained him.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts