Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with shark leather used for a CC setup?

Was poking around several gunleather sites and a few offered shark leather as an option.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
As I understand it, it's more abrasive resistant than leather of the moo-cow variety. Personally, it's more than I can justify spending on a concealed carry rig - especially considering that, carried IWB, my holster shouldn't see much abrasion in the first place. The texture does look really nice, I'll give ya' that but I prefer smooth leather with as little tooling (preferrably NONE) as possible.

Now, that snakeskin holster that Kevin posted ... that's SCHAAA-WEEEET! :)
Jack

·
Banned
151 Posts
I would also like to add a question about a sharkskin belt. Is it a thin overlay of shark skin on top of a cowhide bottom?

Or is it a all sharkskin belt?

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Bud White said:
What does it Feel like though is my Question ?

Good point Bud, I always heard it was like sandpaper when it was trying to bite your leg off in the ocean. Surely the tanning process softens up the texture. What's the word you holster gurus?
Jack

·
Banned
270 Posts
It's like REALLY hard bumpy leather. :) Can't notice any difference between it and cowhide when worn, but it lasts for ever. I have a Kramer IWB #3 fully covered in it.

(it's for a Glock 17/22 - PM if interested, I'm OWB now)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Sharkskin boots are some of the most durable you can own, outside of elephant. Nice texture, but not like sandpaper once tanned.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Is it waterproof????

·
Registered
92 Posts
Sharkskin is tough, thin and a PIA to tan properly...which is probably why it's more expensive.

Back a few decades ago me and a few buds regularly shark-fished overnight and spent the days cleaning and preserving jaws and fins to sell to Florida tourists...made good money for late 60's/early 70's teenagers. Kept us in...well...nevermind... :tongue:

Anyway...we tried to do various things with the 'leather' using what little we knew about tanning, which wasn't much. What worked for rattlesnake, alligator and ass't small mammals left a smelly mess to be buried in the woods for shark.

But the sharkmeat was awesome!!

If I ever needed an OWB holster I'd probably want shark skin, just for the memories.

But a belt?
You might get 2 out of an 8 footer.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
My only problem with spending that kind of cash on exotic skins is that the holster is supposed to be concealed, why spend that much money on something no one is ever going to see.

I'm more into function than appearance when it comes to leather gear.

·
Banned
270 Posts
If you want function, carry a Glock in a Glock Sporty Holster. :)

Hey, that's what I have now? Just till Garrity get's my holster here though.

Nothing wrong with Bar-B-Que rigs! :)

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
acparmed said:
My only problem with spending that kind of cash on exotic skins is that the holster is supposed to be concealed, why spend that much money on something no one is ever going to see.

Exactly what I'm thinking. It might be different if I belonged to a small shooting club where open carry wasn't so taboo - and everyone knows everyone else (open carry is legal here but not recommended). That much of an investment I'd want to show it off a little ... not that cowhide ISN'T an investment but, you know.
Jack

·
Banned
151 Posts
I agree

acparmed said:

I agree adding the extra exotic skins to any IWB holster is done just for the person wearing it.

If it's truly for C.Carry no one other then you should ever see you'r holster and weapon.

But they do make pretty pictures to share on the Net.:danceban:

·
Registered
318 Posts
O.K.,
Here's some info on sharkskin. It is very durable and scuff/abrasion resistant. A few years ago there were some crappy skins coming out of Mexico that were hard and stiff , but recently the hides coming through have been very nicely textured and supple. A good hide has a slight rubbery feel to it, though there is very little stretch. It is not sandpaper rough like an actual live shark. On average it runs about 4 oz. thick, which means it has to be laminated over a base leather such as cowhide or horsehide for a foundation. I personally think it is one of the most durable exotics, even more-so than elephant; and much less expensive than elephant (though the price on shark did just go up some). My personally made sharkskin belt is about 8 years old and is worn daily, and still lacks any scuffs or signs of wear. If you were to look at it and asked to guess, you would probably say it was well worn for a month or two. And shark covered straps on my In-Cognito or similar VM2 design will long outlast plain leather ones. With some of the other exotics, it is strctly a pride of ownership, 'look what I have" type of thing, but with sharkskin you are getting a more durable holster. I made one of my Stead-fast belt scabbards in full coverage shark for a Drug Task Force officer back east, and he contacted me about six months later stating he had been involved in an incident and dove for cover in an asphalt and gravel parking lot, sliding on the holster, and it was completely undamaged. (I recommended shark to him because when he ordered he stated he did a lot of motorcycle riding and wanted something that would hold up). So yes, there is more to it than just aesthetics if it is a hard-use everyday carry holster.

·
Registered
6,743 Posts
I have an IWB holster (it's going on 26 yrs now) for my H&K P9S 45ACP..........I got it with the gun, and it still looks real good...........feels a bit gritty, but it stays put while the gun an dholster are in my pants..

1 - 20 of 30 Posts