Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
24,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goodbye Brass

Thoughts?

I've shoot a lot of aluminum case and steel case stuff, but I don't reload.

I know these things take time for acceptance and market penetration, does this appear to have any merit?

SST.jpg

Let’s skip the appetizer and get right to the meat and potatoes of a manufacturer’s claims for a new cartridge case technology to replace the 150-year reign of brass. Here’s what Shell Shock Technologies (SST) says about their two-piece, nickel-aluminum-stainless steel 9mm Luger NAS3 cases:

• Stronger, cheaper and half the weight of brass.
  • Greater corrosion resistance.
  • More internal volume.
  • More consistent ignition.
  • +P velocities without +P pressures.
  • Cases won’t stretch, no trimming required.
  • Withstands 40 or more reloadings.
  • Picks up with a magnet.
  • Can be anodized different colors for instant ID.

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
I like the idea of being able to be picked up with a magnet and it is reloadable really but I question the 40+ reloading. Using light loads I have gotten 15-20 loadings out of brass before it work hardens but I think stainless steel may harden faster. It would be interesting to try it out and see how it works.

·
Registered
671 Posts
As a reloader I personally wouldn't be interested in buying new dies:

·
Registered
520 Posts
Almost sounds too good to be true. i wouldn't mind trying a box. Cheaper huh? I have heard that 9mm isn't really cost effective to reload as it is so cheap (for now).

·
Super Moderator
24,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A case of 1,000 CCI 9 mm is somewhere around $200 plus or minus now. Of course new dies and stuff................

·
Premium Member
5,957 Posts
Almost sounds too good to be true. i wouldn't mind trying a box. Cheaper huh? I have heard that 9mm isn't really cost effective to reload as it is so cheap (for now).
I load 9mm at roughly half the cost of factory ammo. It would take a pretty significant savings over that to get most people to switch. If you were just starting out, maybe it would be worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Can we trust they are not made from metal we ship to China and then buy back from China?

67,000,000 psi tested.I like it. Hard to believe there is not a trade-off somewhere..........

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Are any manufacturers using it or is this a reloader's only kind of thing? Sorry if this a dumb question but I know nothing about reloading.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
Are any manufacturers using it or is this a reloader's only kind of thing? Sorry if this a dumb question but I know nothing about reloading.
Right now it appears for reloading purposes only. BUt if a profit is involved you can bet Old Vets reloader that the ammunitions industry will start using this stuff to produce thier ammo with it, for consumer re-sale.

·
Premium Member
5,482 Posts
It sounds like maybe something doable, but I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig on it. I will wait until it's been on the market for a while.

Besides, I have around 3,500 once fired brass and and another 2,500 that's been fired 3 times. I retire my brass at 10 loadings (40 S&W) so it will take a while to go through that inventory.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
What does that matter?
Have you not witnessed the skyscrapers tumbling down all over America? At least seen it on the news? Look it up Bob and then tell me after you wear out the one you carry now, that you would seriously consider buying an aluminum bat next. :viking:

·
Registered
782 Posts
I load 9mm at roughly half the cost of factory ammo. It would take a pretty significant savings over that to get most people to switch. If you were just starting out, maybe it would be worth it.
Same here I only reload 9mm and it is well worth it unless you buy extremely cheap ammo somewhere.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts