Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, have the shield in 9mm and it has been flawless in every way....... so decided to give the .45 version a try....... took it to the range yesterday and with 7rds in 7rd mag could barely get the magazine seated, I mean it was a war...... when I finally got it in, and I had to depress mag release to do it, could not get the 1st round chambered.... so I ejected mag and only loaded 6rds in the 7rd mag and finally got a round chambered but you could literally feel and hear the roughness... using federal fmj ammo........ I had NO problems like this with the 9mm shield or with any other firearm I own.......oh, and had the same problem with 6rd mag also .......ANY SUGGESTIONS?
I am going to try loading both mags to max and let them sit for a while to maybe break in mag springs
but other than that I have no clue...... I am experienced shooter but no gunsmith for sure.

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Shield 45 mags were the same after I first got it, very stiff. I also down loaded them for awhile and used a Maglula loader when fully loading them.
700+ rounds later, fully loading them by hand is not bad. I expect them to continue to get easier the more I use them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
My 45 shield mags were tough to load for my wife. Lucky I spent years thumb wrestling as a kid and didn't have too much trouble. Seriously though, they are hard to get last round in. I did not have any problems chambering and so far have 50 rounds 230 grain Gold Dot, 100 AE FMJ 230 grain, and a few mags of reloads with no issues. The slide stop is too tight to use as a slide release, but sling shot worked fine. I just picked it up last week.

·
Registered
6,444 Posts
Get out a flashlight, preferably a headlamp, and look for obvious burrs inside the magazine well. If you find one or more, use a sharpened screwdriver to fillet them off.

If not then what casurvivor said.

If that doesn't work then some heavy vetting is in order. Insert the mag and pound the butt on a strong table while cussing the Gods. If that doesn't fix it then trade it for an XDs. :blackeye:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts