Defensive Carry banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
My Shield just came back from S&W today. Hope to hit the range in the next few days, though I need to pick up a box or 2 of 9mm! I'll report back in this thread.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is just an update on my M&P 9c. I sent it in for brass to the face issues. Smith & Wesson Customer Service was great. I had it back in about 2 weeks. I put 3 magazines thru it yesterday and it performed flawlessly. I had a pile of brass behind me and to the right. I can tell by racking the slide they worked on it, it's very smooth now. Well done S&W.

·
Premium Member
8,017 Posts
My Beretta PX4 full size did the exact thing . ( from the pics.) It doubled stacked the rounds as well Mine is brand new as of Sat. has had 150 rounds though it with six jambs.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have 2000 rounds thru mine. Had mine since May 2012 - LOVE the gun.

I did buy a 2nd one in July, but sold the 2nd one last month. It was just sitting in the safe. But, i carry my first one every day

·
Administrator
143,469 Posts
Just as a general FYI and (of course) my personal but, qualified opinion - any firearm that you will be carrying for personal self defense you should be shooting with a crush grip.
Because that IS how you will be gripping that firearm when the Bad Guy is running toward you and wanting to slash your neck with a 24" Machete.

In an actual self defensive scenario you will NOT be holding/gripping that handgun the same way that you hold your girlfriends soft and tender hand at the movies.

You'll just have to trust me on that.

·
Administrator
143,469 Posts
With regard to the OP and that specific problem.

I would fully stoke your magazines and leave them fully loaded for at least a few days and I would keep your slide locked back to the rear for about the same amount of time.

And then use a very low friction gun grease on your slide rails.

I would also forget any malfunctions that you have had with Winchester White Box because some guns just flat out don't like it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Shield M&P 9mm FTE's

I got my Shield 9mm back in January after waiting only about 2 weeks, which I was psyched about. I really like the gun. I like the way that it shoots. I like the trigger feel. I like the size of it with the extended magazine... However, I'm having failure to extract (FTE) issues that I thought I would let you all know about. After I got the gun, I got myself 200 rounds of Winchester White Box 115gr ammo. I shot that ammo, and I had 3 FTEs in those 200 rounds. I was a little alarmed by that failure rate, but I thought "It's a new gun, I'll keep shooting it and see what happens". So I got 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 115gr just to shoot something different to rule out it being an ammo issue. So I shot the 100 rounds of Blazer and had 2 FTEs. So at that point I had 5 FTEs in 300 rounds which was unacceptable in my eyes. So I initiated contact with S&W Customer Service. They got back to me in about 2 days and got me a return label to send it in. I sent it, and I had it back in about 2 weeks, which I thought was a good turnaround. S&W replaced the extractor and range tested the gun, and sent it back. I couldn't wait to shoot it once I got it back, so I went to the range. I shot 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 115gr, and 50 rounds of Lawman 115gr. Had 1 FTE at about my 30th round shot. I wanted to throw the gun! After that FTE at about round 30, the remaining 120 rounds went without issue. That was last weekend and I have not had a chance to shoot it again. I'll try to shoot again this weekend, and see what happens. I have my fingers crossed. Below are pictures of 3 of the first 5 FTEs for reference.... Again, I love the gun when it works, and S&W's Customer Service has been outstanding so far. I'm going to shoot some more and see what happens. If I get any more FTEs, it will be going back to S&W again, and I am confident that they will correct the issue.
I bought mine last month and have had it to the range maybe six time now. I have to say I was disappointed when I got my first FTE with less than 30 rounds through it. Since then, it's had several consecutive FTE's and even the armorer had them when I showed him. It wasn't from having the wrong grip. There are several and I mean several disappointed M&P Shield owners out there because of the FTE's. They have sent them back to S&W more than once and the problem still persist. Now, as I said to the CS guy, this is not a gun one can rely on for CCW if needed. Your playing Russian roulette and I'm not a gambler and hope is doesn't FTE in the time of need. The armorer and I had tried a process of elimination and hopefully works. We had several back to back FTE's using the 7 round mag that came with the gun. My 8 round mag didn't exhibit and FTE's to date. We swapped a 7 round mag from the rental gun and it worked flawless for the next 50 rounds. Now, I hope and pray that's it. It's going to have to prove itself next time at the range for several hundred rounds before I feel comfortable as a carry. I'm very surprised that S&W hasn't sent out a bulletin on this to the owners. They certainly are aware of this and need to remedy this issue before someone has an FTE in their time of need. That would be horrific!

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I'd first try a couple of boxes of 124g. Then try a couple of boxes of 147g. Wolff Springs doesn't make lighter recoil springs for the Shield, unfortunately, which is what you'd try with lighter loads - a lighter recoil spring. If it's not ammo, and it's not the mags that leaves something like the Apex Tactical extractor to be tried. Try to find some quality ammo, like American Eagle, which are usually hotter firing.

But first try with hotter ammo.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Lightly sand the slide rails with 2000 grit sandpaper. Break your gun down clean & oil it very thoroughly. As noted the gun is still tight. You need to get some compressions on the guide spring. Between that spring & the slide coupled with the number of rounds you're shooting at on sitting you might be wristing it occasionally & causing the FTE.
Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got my Shield 9mm back in January after waiting only about 2 weeks, which I was psyched about. I really like the gun. I like the way that it shoots. I like the trigger feel. I like the size of it with the extended magazine... However, I'm having failure to extract (FTE) issues that I thought I would let you all know about. After I got the gun, I got myself 200 rounds of Winchester White Box 115gr ammo. I shot that ammo, and I had 3 FTEs in those 200 rounds. I was a little alarmed by that failure rate, but I thought "It's a new gun, I'll keep shooting it and see what happens". So I got 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 115gr just to shoot something different to rule out it being an ammo issue. So I shot the 100 rounds of Blazer and had 2 FTEs. So at that point I had 5 FTEs in 300 rounds which was unacceptable in my eyes. So I initiated contact with S&W Customer Service. They got back to me in about 2 days and got me a return label to send it in. I sent it, and I had it back in about 2 weeks, which I thought was a good turnaround. S&W replaced the extractor and range tested the gun, and sent it back. I couldn't wait to shoot it once I got it back, so I went to the range. I shot 100 rounds of Blazer Brass 115gr, and 50 rounds of Lawman 115gr. Had 1 FTE at about my 30th round shot. I wanted to throw the gun! After that FTE at about round 30, the remaining 120 rounds went without issue. That was last weekend and I have not had a chance to shoot it again. I'll try to shoot again this weekend, and see what happens. I have my fingers crossed. Below are pictures of 3 of the first 5 FTEs for reference.... Again, I love the gun when it works, and S&W's Customer Service has been outstanding so far. I'm going to shoot some more and see what happens. If I get any more FTEs, it will be going back to S&W again, and I am confident that they will correct the issue.
I'm having the same problem with mine doesn't seem to matter what ammo I'm using I'm thinking that's it's a falure to extract more than eject but seems to be having less issues the more I shoot it bought it for a EDC but won't be able to use it if this doesn't get resolved so please keep us posted if you find the problem 😉

·
Premium Member
5,904 Posts
I'm having the same problem with mine doesn't seem to matter what ammo I'm using I'm thinking that's it's a falure to extract more than eject but seems to be having less issues the more I shoot it bought it for a EDC but won't be able to use it if this doesn't get resolved so please keep us posted if you find the problem 😉
This is a 7 year old old thread. I like the idea of having someone else shoot your shield, preferably someone familiar with the gun and see if he has the same issues. Good luck and welcome to DC.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Spent Primer, The tread is almost 7 years old. He might let us know, no telling. Welcome
to the form ; )
H/D

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
This is a 7 year old old thread. I like the idea of having someone else shoot your shield, preferably someone familiar with the gun and see if he has the same issues. Good luck and welcome to DC.
You beat me to the post button, scottync ; )
H/D

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
It’s alive!

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
3 Posts
Spent Primer, The tread is almost 7 years old. He might let us know, no telling. Welcome
to the form ; )
H/D
Thanks didn't realize it was that old, been shooting pistols for about 40 some years never had this problem except for a worn out extractor on a 1911 I'm just a little disappointed in Smith and Wesson I understand a new gun and needing to be broke in all though a new gun should shoot 100% out of the box at least in my book second new Smith to give me problems I guess not the same company they were back in the day

·
Registered
390 Posts
this is pretty old thread but

I also had a shield 9mm that had FTE's even after going to the mother ship to be reworked. I lost confidence in it so I got rid of it and never looked back. Moved to a Springfield armory XDS and a glock 43X. Very happy with that decision. Good luck with it as the majority never have any issues with them.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
My Shield 9 is 5 yrs old and has never malfunctioned in any way, even with a variety of ammo being run thru it. At this point I've put at least 1000 rounds downrange and the pistol has functioned perfectly.

I'd suspect the OPs FTE is a grip related issue... Limp wrist failures is a real thing. My DIL has that issue with the PPKs I gave her. I've had that PPKs for almost 40 years and never had a failure experience with it, Nor have I ever had it bite me. She has just the opposite experience. One failure after another and it bites her with every shot.

My son and I already knew it, but taking video of her shooting it helped reveal to her that her grip on the pistol and limp wrist were the issues.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Got a M&P 9c, No problems what so ever. Not a shied but a M&P no less ; )
H/D

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
Reactions: ctr

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Shield 9 is 5 yrs old and has never malfunctioned in any way, even with a variety of ammo being run thru it. At this point I've put at least 1000 rounds downrange and the pistol has functioned perfectly.

I'd suspect the OPs FTE is a grip related issue... Limp wrist failures is a real thing. My DIL has that issue with the PPKs I gave her. I've had that PPKs for almost 40 years and never had a failure experience with it, Nor have I ever had it bite me. She has just the opposite experience. One failure after another and it bites her with every shot.

My son and I already knew it, but taking video of her shooting it helped reveal to her that her grip on the pistol and limp wrist were the issues.
Funny as this seems but I have better luck with light reloads than factory all though limp wrist might be the problem it seems to leave a the spent round in the chamber and try to shove a new one in

21 - 40 of 41 Posts