Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after my VA appointment, I decide to stop by the PAWN Shop that I purchased an AR and a Shotgun from about a year or more ago, did not have any issues with either one.

So looking over thier pistols for sale, they had some XDs, some FN, a Beretta, but the Shield caught my eye and the 649.

Shield 9mm for $399 and the 649 for $449.

Pictures below.

IMG_0066.jpg IMG_0067.jpg IMG_0068.jpg IMG_0069.jpg IMG_0070.jpg

The Shield has a safety, which I am not fond of, but I could deal with it. The 649, would be great addition to my 642, as an additional carry revolver, especially when I shoot one of the J-frame and it is so dirty, I really don't carry it for a good while.

So? What you think??

Reactions: 5lima30ret

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd say the 649.
Someone is gonna call me on this....I just researched further, it is a 638..but yeah, kinda swaying toward that way. Might put some money down on Friday.

·
Registered
6,069 Posts
Shield. Enough said! :smile:

·
Registered
228 Posts
If you regularly carry a 642, then it's a no brainer. The 638. Same platform, same mechanics for carry efficiency.

·
Premium Member
7,698 Posts
If you have the 642, then I'd go with the Shield. The only advantage of the 638 is the ability to fire single action. I have a 637 and a 642, and I rarely fire the 637 single action.

The Shield is a very good sub-compact 9mm.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Between the two, I'd have to have the humpback. My favorite J-frame.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You could glue the safety on the fire position if you get it. I haven't tried the wheel gun yet but the shield does have a pretty stiff recoil spring which makes it a little hard to rack the slide, just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
www.budsgunshop.com has a 9mm Shield with No Thumb Safety for $361 shipped to your FFL right now.
Looking at this. I will pass on the 9mm Shield, since the price at Buds is so much lower for a NEW one, plus I have a 40C that I am changing over to the 9mm.

The price on Buds for a 638 is $408, (https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/79989/S&W+M638+38+1+78+PINK+Stainless)

So I think that if I can talk them down to $400 or less, I will put some money down on it. They have a 20% down, 90 day layaway. Which would work for me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts