Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After just two weeks if ownership, about a dozen FTF and FTE's, and one shockingly bad hard jam (the round got lodged hard in the chamber to the point I couldn't even rack the slide. The gunsmith that helped me was also stumped because after he removed the same round he was able to normally chamber and fire it. No real root cause for why it failed) I sold off my Shield today. I had zero confidence in it so it's gone. To the Shield faithful out there, glad you have a good gun. Mine sucked.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
This surprises me a little because I have not seen where many of these are having a problem. I have never even seen one up close but I think I will spend the little extra money and get a Glock 26 or 19

·
Registered
5,984 Posts
Shield probably needed a little extra break in period.....and you just sold it right before it became perfect.....but I don't want you to have any self
doubts in your decision or anything. :wink:
I've bought several Kahrs from owners that had the same issues you had and I now how a couple of perfect Kahrs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't own a Shield, nor do I have any plans to, but I wouldn't be given up on a gun after only two weeks, especially one from a well-respected manufacturer. Unless you sold it for more than paid for it, I would have kept it longer and tried to make it work. At the very least, I would have contacted S&W customer service. Perhaps you just got a dud.

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
Get a Glock...

·
Banned
2,268 Posts
I sold off mine within a few weeks also. Now carry an XDs which is flawless if you grip it tightly enough. I have seen those with loose grips have problems with it and can duplicate all the problems reported about them by simply loosening my grip when shooting; even light primer strikes. There is a YouTube video showing this when a guy's wife/GF shoots the gun and he trashes it but the gun works flawlessly for him Video looks like she was holding it properly but apparently not strong enough.

To tell the truth, I have all but given up on inexpensive guns. They are inexpensive for a reason. My main carry guns are Sigs, HK, FNH and the recently added XDs and LCR.

·
Premium Member
1,266 Posts
Try the SAR ARMS SARP2K made in Turkey for their military. Mine is absolutely a joy to shoot and SAR ARMS put their guns through the roughest tests in order to ensure the military gets the very best weapon possible. Get one before the word gets around and the price begins to rise. I don't see how you can go wrong with one of these guns.:smile:

·
Registered
23 Posts
After just two weeks if ownership, about a dozen FTF and FTE's, and one shockingly bad hard jam (the round got lodged hard in the chamber to the point I couldn't even rack the slide. The gunsmith that helped me was also stumped because after he removed the same round he was able to normally chamber and fire it. No real root cause for why it failed) I sold off my Shield today. I had zero confidence in it so it's gone. To the Shield faithful out there, glad you have a good gun. Mine sucked.

Sorry to hear of the troubles you were having with your Shield. You failed to mention the ammo that was being used where you experienced the FTF's and FTE's.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sent mine back to S&W with the same issues. It's been fine since they looked at it. Just put about 60 rounds through it the other day without any problems. Even so, I like my Glocks better, and seem to shoot them better. Maybe it's the lousy Mass. trigger?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Sounds like you got a lemon. Fortunately, the overwhelming majority of Shield owners seem to be very satisfied. I've shot one and liked it--it was a range gun with thousands and thousands of rounds through it and it functioned just fine for me.

None of that does you any good though. I recommend looking at the PPS and the XDs.

·
Premium Member
34,330 Posts
Little guns with low mag capacities just become less and less appealing to me as time goes on. Even when they aren't finicky, they just do not instill confidence in me. I sold my PM9 simply because it was too small. I have several guns in the edc line-up, and the smallest one is a Glock 19.

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
This surprises me a little because I have not seen where many of these are having a problem. I have never even seen one up close but I think I will spend the little extra money and get a Glock 26 or 19
I agree.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Shield. I don't believe any gun needs to "break in" to function without failing. That's a lame excuse for a gun that has issues. I would have sent it back to S&W to be repaired or replaced.

That said, if you are in the market for a similar gun, take a look at the Beretta Nano. $380-475 new out the door, Trijicon has night sights for it, Dawson Precision has a FO front sight, CT and LaserMax have lasers for it, Talon makes great grips for it, Bedair makes a stainless guide rod for it, and there are a ton of good holsters out for it as well. Good aftermarket so far. I have one and it's never failed on me.

http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu47/Glass_Wolf/Tactical/DSCF7719_zps7aebe82d.jpg
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu47/Glass_Wolf/Tactical/DSCF7711_zps0ba73f13.jpg
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu47/Glass_Wolf/Tactical/DSCF7716_zps3589aa95.jpg
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu47/Glass_Wolf/Tactical/DSCF7715_zps0b9c160a.jpg
http://i632.photobucket.com/albums/uu47/Glass_Wolf/Tactical/DSCF7661_zps14ba8b7f.jpg

above are a few images of mine, stock, with talon granulated and rubber grips, and with/without the laser. I also threw in a couple targets I shot with it at 25 yds.

Attachments

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sorry to hear of the troubles you were having with your Shield. You failed to mention the ammo that was being used where you experienced the FTF's and FTE's.
It gagged on quality factory Hornady Critical Defense rounds. Even the hard jam was with those rounds. It ironically did better with blazer brass range ammo.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The only small gun I own now is my LCP that has been flawless thru 500 rounds. Everything else is a full frame sub compact at smallest. My current favorite is my G26. Loooove that gun! My G19 is a dead heat with the 26.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts