Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of getting a .40 to replace one of my 2 9mm sub-compacts. I love both the shield and the 26 but I have to admit the shield is just more comfortable for edc. If I got the 40 I would have a 9, 40, 45 which would make me a little more versatile in finding ammo which is a concern these days. Does anyone own both? So shield or 26 or keep both and just save up for the .40:confused:

also I have about $150 into the shield in accessories
about $350 into the glock in accessories including 17rnd mags and nightsight & crimson trace that I dont use

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
I would still keep both but I dont sell my guns... EVER. If you have to get rid of one, I would be happy to give you a receipt for your charitable donation. You can send either one im not picky :)

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I have a Shield in 9mm and a Glock 27, so I'm in a similar boat. I like the sub compact Glock's, shoot them well, and have a lot of 40 S&W ammo. I plan to carry the Shield during the warmer months and keep the Glock for other times of the year.

·
Premium Member
6,892 Posts
I would still keep both but I dont sell my guns... EVER. If you have to get rid of one, I would be happy to give you a receipt for your charitable donation. You can send either one im not picky :)

THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

·
Premium Member
8,282 Posts
As I have said before: I often forget why I bought a gun until AFTER I sell it, and then I remember what kicking myself feels like...

If you aren't in need of the money, then I would keep them. Cain't hert ya much ifya hang unto 'em.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Keep both. Period. If that's not an option, keep that which you feel more comfortable with for EDC. I can't speak to the Glock other than testing out at the range...and it rocked. But at the end of the day, I went with the Shield: better feel in the hand and on the hip. Just my $0.02.

·
Banned
2,725 Posts
In the climate we're in now I think I would sell something else like a fishing pole or a corn hole game.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Keep them both if you can. They are both good guns and will retain their value. But if you absolutely have to sell one I would keep the Glock.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You guys are right I should just keep both it wont hurt. I think I may just be obsessed with buying and trading guns holy crap. I used to work at a gun shop and just fueled my fire. I need to open up my own shop.

·
Registered
231 Posts
i would suggest keeping both...you will for sure kick urself once you sell one of them if you do haha

ive been dying to get my hands on a shield but i cant even test one out because everywhere around here has been sold out of them for months!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Sell the crimson trace if you don't use it. You should get some cash back for that, but I would keep both of the guns (especially with the current climate).

·
Registered
97 Posts
i would have to agree with the comments above, keep both unless you have to sell one due to financial crisis... i never sell a gun unless it is the last option for cash.

I was in the same predicament, i have a 9mm xd subcompact and a s&w shield in 9mm, i wanted to sell one just to free up or get more funds to purchase something else, but i finally decided to just keep both and go ahead and buy an xds too.

i plan to carry the xd sub compact (more compacity) during the winter times since it is a little harder to conceal than the xds/shield. Summertime will be the shield and xds

·
Banned
1,418 Posts
I'd keep both, and that goes doubly true for any magazines larger than 10 rounds with the specter of a potential ban (unlikely but possible). I faced a similar situation recently when I got my G27 from a friend. She bought it about a year ago and really never shot it much at all, she got a job in NYC so she had to get rid of it and was going to sell it in a pawn shop or consignment. I didn't really need another gun, she basically said I could have it for free, I ended up giving her $400 and a bottle of wine for it. Having another carry gun available is always good, it has become my EDC lately as I have loaned my M&P9c to my girlfriend indefinitely until she buys her own HD gun.

Bottom line: you can never have too many guns!

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I plan to carry the Shield during the warmer months and keep the Glock for other times of the year.
I find this interesting. I recently did a bit of a experiment where I carried my G26 for a few weeks and then carried a Kahr CW9 (almost identical in dimensions to the shield) and I found that the CW9 concealed worse then the 26 because of the grip length. I then carried My G19 for a few weeks and carried the CW9 for a few weeks. I noticed almost no difference in the concealability. I really think it is a mental thing that people think a thinner pistols conceals better.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
I have a shooting buddy affected with your current "gotta' trade, gotta' buy another GUN" disease. The rest of us are deeelighted every time his symptoms act up. He'll come home with a NIB Sig, Springfield, GLOCK, etc., etc., go buy a fine holster of two, extra factory mags, stock up on ammo, run a few rounds through it and WHAMMO!, something else catches his attention. Then we get to buy a practically new gun & a bunch of extras for dimes on the dollar. My advice? Get damn good at shooting what you HAVE, get so intimate with it that it becomes second nature & spend any extra "gun money" you have laying around on quality training at a well-respected facility (Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc.). Owning a new handgun doesn't make you a bit better prepared to...use it. :image035:

Please don't take this as a scolding. I am, myself, a recovering CGT (Compulsive Gun-Trader). Six years clean & sober. :biggrin2:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have a shooting buddy affected with your current "gotta' trade, gotta' buy another GUN" disease. The rest of us are deeelighted every time his symptoms act up. He'll come home with a NIB Sig, Springfield, GLOCK, etc., etc., go buy a fine holster of two, extra factory mags, stock up on ammo, run a few rounds through it and WHAMMO!, something else catches his attention. Then we get to buy a practically new gun & a bunch of extras for dimes on the dollar. My advice? Get damn good at shooting what you HAVE, get so intimate with it that it becomes second nature & spend any extra "gun money" you have laying around on quality training at a well-respected facility (Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, etc.). Owning a new handgun doesn't make you a bit better prepared to...use it. :image035:

Please don't take this as a scolding. I am, myself, a recovering CGT (Compulsive Gun-Trader). Six years clean & sober. :biggrin2:
Lol sounds about right . A little off-topic but being that you live in KY are you able to shoot on your property or near by land ?

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
MY garage (the one not attached to the house) has two big doors. The one in the front is for my toys, the one in the back opens onto a 100 yard rifle/pistol shooting range. It's a very popular hangout on rainy Saturday afternoons, we shoot while it's pouring buckets outside! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn that gets me excited just thinking about it. I live in a zero lot line COUNTY basically. I really need to move to KY,NC or TN or somthing so I can shoot on my property. If I want to shoot here I have to go to a crowded indoor range with inexperienced shooters scareing the crap out me. ( which I do about once a week. If I was you I wouldnt trade that house for mansion on south beach

1 - 20 of 23 Posts