Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
would that be considered a legit shooting? I've seen tons of videos of child abduction/hostages where the bad guy is facing you, holding the hostage in front of them as a human shield. now it's a stand off until the cops arrive or someone shoots someone. specifically I saw a video showing an ex navy seal shooting towards the bad guys feet "taking the fight to the criminal to keep him off his game" but then the criminal fell backwards. what if the scenario changed, the bad guy grabbed your child/family/dog, whatever then just trots away. can you shoot them in the back to stop the crime? we all know if they reach the getaway car it's pretty much over. chances of recovery is pretty thin. thoughts?

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
You should check with the laws in your state and/or consult an attorney who is licensed to practice law in Florida, who is knowledgeable in such matters, and who is not anti-gun.

I know of at least three situations in which deliberately shooting someone in the back would be a justifiable response in my state. The one you mentioned could very well be one, too.

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
I believe it would be a good shoot in Texas. Morally, ethically it is very acceptable. Don't believe the old westerns. You don't want to be in a "fair" fight. You want to win.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Don't believe everything on tv. As long as there as a real danger to me or mine I would consider it a legit shoot.

Reactions: atctimmy

·
Registered
540 Posts
I attended a class given by an attorney once on the legalities and whatnot of self defense shootings. His response to that question was that kidnapping is definitely considered to be a good reason to shoot and if you have to shoot them in the back so be it.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Well, if somebody like me (us) turns for a second to get the gun out then, well, now is your opportunity. If it turns out that there is no gun or other weapon then, well, you might be screwed.

Self defense and lethal force is risky business.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Well, if somebody like me (us) turns for a second to get the gun out then, well, now is your opportunity. If it turns out that there is no gun or other weapon then, well, you might be screwed.

Self defense and lethal force is risky business.
Hence the reason why the firearm is the last resort. :wink:

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Hence the reason why the firearm is the last resort. :wink:
True enough, Harryball. :35:

My techniques and understanding are evolving from, don't do anything that should bring ill light on my family, to "don't do anything that makes your family look bad on Facebook."

The bar is rising and it's time for all of us to take notice.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
True enough, Harryball. :35:

My techniques and understanding are evolving from, don't do anything that should bring ill light on my family, to "don't do anything that makes your family look bad on Facebook."

The bar is rising and it's time for all of us to take notice.
In my world there is only one that will judge my life. If someone picks up one of the kids, they will get what they get whether it be in the face or the back. I fully understand your point, but I will not let social media, the main stream media dictate what I have to do when it comes to the protection of the ones I love.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Would probably be a good idea to know what the laws are regarding a legal shoot. If someone grabbed your child , turns and starts off with them and you had a clear shot, the last thing you would be thinking about is the legality of the shot at that moment. The safety of your family would be foremost, worry about the legality later. Safe to say a parent would rather spend his life in jail if need be than see some pervert grab their child.

·
Banned
894 Posts
Bad guy kidnapping is committing a felony. Your childs life is in danger-reasonable man decision. If you have a clear shot and shoot half way well, back of the head generally stops them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I agree with all who wrote something about kidnapping. For me, if someone was trying to take off with my daughter they're going to get more than a "shot" in the back. They'll get the whole mag, or at least until they either let go of her or fall down, their choice.

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Apart from knowing the law, you don't mention the immediate possibility. They grabbed your child and are running away while holding the child in front of them.

Seems like a good chance that shooting the guy in the back would also result in shooting your child. Realistically, how far away are they and can they really outrun you while holding the child?

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Apart from knowing the law, you don't mention the immediate possibility. If they are taking my child I really don't care all that much about the law. But what if they grabbed your child and are running away while holding the child in front of them (which seems likely)

Seems like a good chance that shooting the guy in the back would also result in shooting your child. Realistically, how far away are they and can they really outrun you while holding the child?

·
Banned
37 Posts
yeah, you really love your kids, that's why you'll take the very severe risk of shooting within 6" of them, on a moving target, under severe stress, without any ear protection. I'd try, really hard, to chase the guy down, shove the muzzle up against them, well away from my kid and give them a good one, ready to catch my kid and pay for the psych help she is sure to need after witnessing such things.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Does it really matter if someone is making off with one of your kids?

I know it doesn't for me, back, front, side, top, bottom, gun, spit ball, rock... whatever it takes to keep that from happening. I'll sort the details out later in that specific case.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
what if the scenario changed, the bad guy grabbed your child/family/dog, whatever then just trots away. can you shoot them in the back to stop the crime? we all know if they reach the getaway car it's pretty much over. chances of recovery is pretty thin. thoughts?
Not to be rude, but kind of a dumb question. "Can you shoot them in the back?" Depends on your aim. But, seriously, if someone is trying to abduct a family member, why would the legality of the shoot matter? If the choice is my child is successfully abducted if I do nothing or I might go to prison by saving them, there's nothing to think about. If it's a dog though, I would not shoot.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts