Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I shoot at an indoor range and I use a NRA B3 paper target - please see attached photograph.

At closer distances (5 yards) when I focus on the front sight (Dawson Precision Fiber) the target and the black bull on the target is blurry but I can still establish good a sight picture and my accuracy is good.

When I move the target out to 10 yards and I focus on the front sight because the target is much further away the target is very blurry and the black bull is extremely hard to see when I try to establish a good sight picture. Because of this at 10 yards and beyond I really struggle will accuracy.

Sometimes I read people saying they can shoot very tight groups at very extended distances - how are they going this??

Any thoughts would be great.

B3 Target.jpg

Reactions: NavCop

·
Premium Member
34,132 Posts
I can't focus clearly on the front sight, so I focus on the target instead.

Reactions: flh

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
My thoughts. As a former competition shooter (local only) a consistant sight picture coupled with good fundamentals. With the target you show , holding a 6 o'clock hold would make it easier to get good groups . Of course you need decent eyesight too, something we all seem to struggle with as we age.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike and Rocky. I will try the 6 o'clock hold.

·
Registered
6,216 Posts
At age 40 I could clearly see both the target and front sight. By age 50 I can still see the target but without glasses I can't find the front sight at all! At age 60 it has not gotten any better! With corrective lenses I can clearly see the front sight, but beyond 20 yards the details of the target are so blurred that I can't make out any of the inner circles only the black.

I have started working on unsighted shooting or Threat Focused Shooting. Unless I'm accosted in a Library it's unlikely I will be wearing my glasses, So I need to be skilled in hitting a target without looking at the sights at all. For me this is still a work in progress. But I practice every time I hit the range. Good Luck. DR

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
20/15 vision for most of my life, and night vision was exceptionally good. In my 50's my vision went to 20/20 and night vision was becoming a problem. At 68 I woke up one morning and couldn't read the newspaper! Two cataract surgeries later, I'm back to 20/20 and still amazed at how much light and color there is in the world! But I need glasses for reading for the first time in my life.

I always focus on the front sight, target is out of focus. I usually shoot on an indoor range, max distance is 50 feet (16.66 yards), no particular difficulties. At the outdoor range I shoot B27 silhouettes at 25 and 50 yards. From a sandbag on the bench I can still keep all rounds in the black at 100 yards, but it requires all of my concentration.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of the posters for your information. I am 73 so my eyes are probably part of the issue.

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Premium Member
34,132 Posts
At age 40 I could clearly see both the target and front sight. By age 50 I can still see the target but without glasses I can't find the front sight at all! At age 60 it has not gotten any better! With corrective lenses I can clearly see the front sight, but beyond 20 yards the details of the target are so blurred that I can't make out any of the inner circles only the black.

I have started working on unsighted shooting or Threat Focused Shooting. Unless I'm accosted in a Library it's unlikely I will be wearing my glasses, So I need to be skilled in hitting a target without looking at the sights at all. For me this is still a work in progress. But I practice every time I hit the range. Good Luck. DR
My left eye, uncorrected is able to pull up a crisp focus on the front sight. Otherwise, threat-focused is the only method that works for me at distance.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I shoot at an indoor range and I use a NRA B3 paper target - please see attached photograph.

At closer distances (5 yards) when I focus on the front sight (Dawson Precision Fiber) the target and the black bull on the target is blurry but I can still establish good a sight picture and my accuracy is good.

When I move the target out to 10 yards and I focus on the front sight because the target is much further away the target is very blurry and the black bull is extremely hard to see when I try to establish a good sight picture. Because of this at 10 yards and beyond I really struggle will accuracy.

Sometimes I read people saying they can shoot very tight groups at very extended distances - how are they going this??

Any thoughts would be great.

View attachment 333291
Blurry sites lined up are still accurate at distance. If you are using a defensive handgun, a 6 hold will end up being low on your target ( most likely ) Try concentrating more on your grip and the trigger pull ( not being painfully slow, but quickly breaking the shot ) and see if that helps.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I always thought that the “concentrate on the front sight” adage was for short distance, self-defense. Both eyes open. Short distance + Front sight on threat = Hit.
Mid-range targets I use both eyes open and get the sights more aligned.
Longer range targets with handgun or rifle I use one eye to sight. Concentrate on target for a mental picture and to get the weapon lined-up. Then, concentrate on the sights for more precise laying of lead. Essentially, get the weapon lined-up and pointed at the 8-ring and then focus my sights where the 10-ring should be.
You cannot focus on both lining up sights and, the target. You’ll just frustrate yourself flipping from one clear picture to the other.
Anyway, that is what works for me.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Watch Hickock45.............I dont see how that guy does what he does so well....right handed, left eye dominant, with glasses, and yet, he just hits about everything. And when he missed, he instantly knows how to compensate. I'd like to meet him one day.

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
In a word...glasses. If you cannot distinguish a black bull at 10 yards, you really need to visit an optometrist.

Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Super Moderator
19,377 Posts
Also try a target with a smaller center - thank along the lines of "aim small, miss small." A B3 target has a 3" black center, which for me is too large inside of 20 yards or so. For most of my handgun practice, I use plain 8-1/2 x 11 paper with the 1" Birchwood Casey stick-on orange target spots. With a much smaller target center, you can easily tell where your shots are going without reeling the target in or walking up to it.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Watch Hickock45.............I dont see how that guy does what he does so well....right handed, left eye dominant, with glasses, and yet, he just hits about everything. And when he missed, he instantly knows how to compensate. I'd like to meet him one day.
Hickok45 has probably fired hundreds of thousands more rounds than the average person on this board. And he's been doing it for an awfully long time. But still, 230 yds with a .40 or .45 is crazy. But he does it.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I solved that problem by going to a red dot optics and just focusing on the target. If I front sight focus with my aging eyes I can’t make out enough target at distance to safely see what I’m actually shooting at. No problem shooting accurately with the dot.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
In a word...glasses. If you cannot distinguish a black bull at 10 yards, you really need to visit an optometrist.
OldChap I can see the bull at 10 yards but when I focus on the front sight the black bull is extremely blurred because the eye can only focus on one distance at a time.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Like people already said, the 6 o'clock hold is what you use for bullseye shooting. You even want to have a little bit of white between the sights and the black target. Since you always focus on the sights and never on the target, that small sliver of white is easier to see and adjust the size of. Don't worry too much about where on the target you aim, though. Sight picture and trigger control is what matters the most. With a correct shooting technique and lots of practice you should be able to shoot 3 inch groups at 25 m one-handed. This is very slow fire, of course.

·
Premium Member
2,010 Posts
Vision is the big issue I'm sure. At our age, it is just not possible to focus on 3 objects at different distances at the same time. (rear sight, front sight, target) The issue of what works for one person may not work for another is also a factor. The rear sight works best for most.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Vision is the big issue I'm sure. At our age, it is just not possible to focus on 3 objects at different distances at the same time. (rear sight, front sight, target) The issue of what works for one person may not work for another is also a factor. The rear sight works best for most.
It is Never possible to focus on three objects at three distances at once. Eyes are nothing more than lenses. The front sight is the usual focus point.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts