Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hoping for input from others on this:

I wear bifocals, and have for some time. Here is my experience with them when shooting.

When using iron sights, on either a rifle or handgun, in order to focus on the front sight, I have to look thru the lower part of my bifocals, and therefore I must tilt my head back quite a bit. I have another set of bifocals that are narrower and I don't have to tilt back near as much, so I prefer those when using iron sights.

When shooting clays, I see the rail and front bead on my shotguns, but my focus is on the clay, so I look thru the top part of my bifocals.

When using a scope, or red dot on any type of firearm, I look thru the top part of my bifocals.

One other thing. When shooting my wifes Mossgerg .22 bolt action using the peep sight, I don't really need glasses at all to focus on the front sight, and I also can focus on the front sight looking thru the top of my glasses.

Donnie D

Reactions: Cheesewiz

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I just received my new prescription glasses not long ago, and they are bifocals. Mine are the "lineless" variety and have a narrow focal point in the bottom. Basically it is like reading through a "spot" in the lense and I have to move my head to actually read. I wear these when I practice and have noticed that they work much better than normal bifocals.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You can do like I do. I have driving glasses, reading glasses, walking glasses and shooting glasses.

·
Premium Member
39,425 Posts
I continually refuse the urging of my eye care professional to switch to bifocals for some of the same reasons outlined here.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts
I think the reason that the peep sight works is that it acts as a pin -hole lens. These correct for both near and farsightedness
to some degree.

Walmart and other places sell "pin-hole glasses." Depending on your prescription these might help you.

Reactions: StormRhydr and dV8r

·
Registered
319 Posts
Talk to your eye care professional about getting a set of "double decker's". I am in the construction business and when standing on a ladder and trying to read a tape measure over head it is tuff to tilt my head back far enough to read the tape with regular bifocals without falling off the ladder:yup:. I had a pair of DD's made and found that they work very well for shooting. As an added bonus I find that I am not trying to fall off the ladder as often:danceban:

·
Registered
455 Posts
Third Grind At Top

I have worn bifoculs for both reading and distance for several years. Years ago I brought a dummy handgun with me when I went to my eye doctor. After he calculated corrective lenses for both reading and distance, he had me hold the dummy gun in a shooting position and focus on the front sight. He then calculated a third correction for this distance, which he ground it into both lenses at the top as a sort of mirror image of the regular bifocul at the bottom. This setup is often used by pilots and by tradespeople who have to look up a lot.

With this setup my front sight is in sharp focus with my head tipped slightly down, in pretty much a normal shooting stance. It also works reasonably well for various long guns.

I only have one set of eyeglasses, which I wear all the time. They are Titmus safety frames, with tempered glass. I have removable plastic side shields that fit over the ear pieces, and which I leave in place most of the time. For truly nasty activities such as running a chain saw or bench grinder I do wear supplimental eye protection, but for more normal activities, including shooting, my "regular" safety glasses give me a reasonable level of protection. The frames are available in many styles, and they are cheaper than the fashion frames that don't give protection.

John W in SC

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Yeah its tuff getting old. I put big dots on the front of all cc guns its awesome easy to pick up on for fast acquisition . Not great for bullseye shooting but for bg size targets its great.
Never thought I would like, much less use, the "Big Dot" sighting systems. Then as the age of 40 started becoming more distant in the rear view mirror my mind (and eyes) started telling me otherwise.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You may wish to do some range work on what is called "intuitive aiming"...some call it point and shoot..where you learn your proper alignment stance and aim looking down the barrel. (watch any Hicock45 vid on utube) ...trust me half the time he is not using sites)....this is good for SD but probably not good for competition scoring shooting..

In my case I am far sighted in one eye, and near sighted in the other eye so if I try to use sites I have to aim with my left eye which is not my dominate eye....In a SD situation using intuitive aiming and with practice you can place 10 out of 10 on target from 25 yards...granted they will not all be bullseyes but center mass shots and head shots indeed....

·
Registered
1,762 Posts
You may wish to do some range work on what is called "intuitive aiming"...some call it point and shoot....

If my eyes get any worse, the only method left for me will be stray and pray!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
I have the same issues, I am ordering a set of safety glasses, they cut them with what they call a "recreational" cut lowering the reading cut lower on the lens.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think the reason that the peep sight works is that it acts as a pin -hole lens. These correct for both near and farsightedness
to some degree.

Walmart and other places sell "pin-hole glasses." Depending on your prescription these might help you.
I've noticed for a long time that looking thru a peephole everything is in focus even without my glasses. I'm gonna find some of those and give em a try.
Donnie D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Talk to your eye care professional about getting a set of "double decker's". I am in the construction business and when standing on a ladder and trying to read a tape measure over head it is tuff to tilt my head back far enough to read the tape with regular bifocals without falling off the ladder:yup:. I had a pair of DD's made and found that they work very well for shooting. As an added bonus I find that I am not trying to fall off the ladder as often:danceban:
I'll ask my eye doc about these as well next time I'm in for an exam.
Donnie D

·
Premium Member
6,623 Posts
Gotta look into these!!! My biggest gripe with bifocals (I wear the progressives) is trying to work on a ceiling fan, light fixture, etc. overhead.

Never saw this solution before, but it sounds like a great idea! I'm guessing that it would help my shooting, too. Thanks!

Reactions: JDE101

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
You can do like I do. I have driving glasses, reading glasses, walking glasses and shooting glasses.
Welcome to Old Fogey World LR.

One of these days I hope to get a laser.

Reactions: tdave
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.