Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hmmm, a new test - yummee! Well the two pics I have here which I hope hotlink OK show the 9mm (2 hits, one ball and one HP) and a .45acp ball. The 45 was not that spectacular!

Other stuff was tried and .223 went clean thru but a Breneke slug was what really worked :lol: It had tho a huge frontal area and 1566 ft lbs!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steve - did you get my last PM?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did Sir. FFL closed today. Will call in AM.

·
Administrator
143,816 Posts
Thumbs Up ~ Mighty Fine Thread Steve

Truly interesting.
Thanks for posting the thread.
That test was a new one on me & the photos were great.
I really enjoyed it.
That's my kinda bullet/cartridge testing. :biggrin:

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
Ol' Painless strikes again. I know what I wanna do when I retire, follow in his footsteps and test fire on items. Hmmmmmmmm..............Anyone looking to hire me to do this job?

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Anyone looking to hire me to do this job?
Sorry Rocky - I am almost there - join the queue dude :biggrin:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I E-Mailed him a resume and bribe offer. No response. I'm guessing it wasn't his first. :biggrin:

·
Registered
294 Posts
There's one problem with this test; in the movies, they don't usually shoot the lock straight into the side. Instead, they tend to shoot it down from the top so that the force is applied to the points holding the lock in a locked state. Also, even if it didn't open the lock, if it blew the lock off the door, just as good as opening the lock.

Also, I don't believe that they use Master (or Master knock-off) locks in the old movies. Perhaps if it were tried with some vintage locks from the early 1900s, the result would be different.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
grnzbra said:
There's one problem with this test; in the movies, they don't usually shoot the lock straight into the side. Instead, they tend to shoot it down from the top so that the force is applied to the points holding the lock in a locked state. Also, even if it didn't open the lock, if it blew the lock off the door, just as good as opening the lock.

Also, I don't believe that they use Master (or Master knock-off) locks in the old movies. Perhaps if it were tried with some vintage locks from the early 1900s, the result would be different.
Good point. I think he wanted to show how different rounds impact the locks.
Have you looked at the rest of his site? He shoots H2O bottles, interior and exterior doors and walls, etc. Haven't seen him dhooting car doors, but I'm guessing that comes soon.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Yes, I have seen his site. A lot of interresting stuff there. However, for the lock test, I think the angle is wrong. As long as he doesn't destroy the points that hold the loop in place, it shouldn't unlock. Therefore, the test of the strength of the lock needs to have it shot at a different angle.

·
Super Moderator
19,008 Posts
IIRC , the military has a special muzzle /flashhider on some M-16's just for lock cutting. Ya place the muzzle against the lock hoop and fire.

·
Super Moderator
4,964 Posts
The lock the Box of Truth guy is referring to in Ronin was not a modern laminated padlock. It is an old plate sided lock, and looked pretty sorry. I think that a pistol round breaking that one was probably credible.

Matt

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Follow-up:
Have exchanged E-Mails with OP from the site. Asked if he could modify his test if I donated some new locks. He has responded that he can't figure out how to do it safely, so won't undertake it.

I'm thinking of using velcro or something with an angled backer board to hold the locks at an angle and trying the test myself. Gotta get my local range to sign off on it, though.

He is going to do a car door shoot soon. Will be interesting to see the results of that.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Hmmm - certainly a more challenging approach but could be - very interesting!!!:wink: If it does work out get a good loada pics - then OP can maybe use em on the ol' Box!

Car doors - oh my - yummee :smile:

(BTW - hope you'll find Jerry has ''goods'' soon!).

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm thinking a lock box similar to what he used, but with a 2X4 angled behind the locks with a piece of adhesive velcro attached. Wrap the locks with the other piece of velcro and push them back against the angled board. Should get me the angle I need to do the test.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
grnzbra said:
There's one problem with this test; in the movies, they don't usually shoot the lock straight into the side. QUOTE]

You should also know, the locks they use in the movies, explode. They aren't real, and they'd never use bullets in a movie, but I guess that really doesn't answer any questions.

For the record, I'll also join the queue to shoot stuff.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts