Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you keep a shooting log? One that documents when you shot, how many rounds and what drills were practiced. This was brought up by one of the instructors at my CC class. He said as permit holders we would be held to the same standards as LE if GOD forbid we wind up in court. He said a prosecutor could ask how often we practiced and that could have a bearing on the outcome. To me this made a lot of since. So I think I will start to keep a nice log of all my practice from here on out.
Mike

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Probably is a good practice to carry out - but have to say I am usually too lazy to be so organized :rolleyes:

Maybe I should be more regimented!

·
Super Moderator
25,602 Posts
I used to keep one when I was shooting competitively, but not since then.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I keep one. I also keep an inventory of my ammo, record of gun cleaning and maintenance, when I last shot each firearm, etc.

The big surprise for me and the end of last year was when I realized I had not shot a shotgun all year. How did that happen? :confused:

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
I use one....I use mine to track make/model/caliber of weapons fired, total rounds fired per gun, loads used, and malfs, type of shooting drills.

Although not a shooting log issue, I will additionally fire my agency's shooting qualification course (the standard FLETC course of fire) with my CCW's and have my firearms instruction date and sign-off on it.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I keep a log of every bullet i shoot out of my 34,19 and 26. I do this for several reason: [1] general info on how many round have gone thru each gun. [2] when i need to switch out firing and trigger springs and such. [3] I shoot glock pistiol and they are know for there reliability and the ability to fire even dirty and i don't clean my gun after every workout but i also don't wait until it cloggs up either. My gun log helps me with this.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I started to keep track of all the targets I was shooting but then it started to get out of hand with targets all over my house! I do like the idea of keeping a journal of my shooting habits though and I think I will start doing that the next time I go shooting.

Good call!

·
Premium Member
25,481 Posts
Funny - I had a mental picture initially seeing subject line of a large chunk of tree - riddled with bullets! :rolleyes: :18:

I do keep a record in fact of ammo useage but it is somewhat based on cumulative increments of 50, per gun. I should show on reflection (knowing my bad memory) keep more detailed notes and will asign a small notebook to my range bag.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I keep a spreadsheet named "Gun Fu" with several pages, including:
-details on shooting: dates, rounds fired through each pistol, target scores & distances,
-page for detailing all expenditures for each year
-inventory of unfired ammunition,
-highlights of concealed-carry laws in states where I go which recognize my CO permit.

Pretty much everything. Not because of any legal reason, I simply get obsessed about measuring things.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I keep a log, but only to document the round count of each pistol for preventative maintenance. It could be useful in court too though.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I tried keeping a log but I kept forgetting to add data to it after a shooting session. so it kinda went pffft.:embarassed:

As for legal purposes about training, I have enough certificates and diplomas from various shooting schools and trophies from competitions to keep the record straight about my skills.:image035:

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I agree with ACP, I just keep the defense class paper work, to me that is all anyone would need. A log can be made up, a class can be confirmed by other people and the instructor that it was taken.

I do however keep track of ammo used per gun by saving the box and cutting the front off and labeling what gun was shot to track the ammo count for spring life/changes, etc.

Ti.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I don't keep a shot log for my handguns. Just my rifles. Handguns I only log number of rounds (resale purposes), any work or mods that were done, any failures or stoppages. Ditto for long guns too.

Even though I am a true skeptic regarding evidence used against a CCWer in a SD trial, keeping a log book containing groups might come up if you miss and hit someone. They will take a look at your books and wonder why a shooter who averages 1-3" groups missed the attacker by a lot more and killed a 10 year old girl.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The range I attend, Jacob's Plain Gun Club (shameless plug), logs the visits. I rely on that for my evidence of practice.

However, I think a more detailed log is probably better. It will also give me incentive to keep practicing with purpose and can show the weak areas and improvements.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow and I thought I was on to something new here :haha: Anubis I am impressed with your dedication. P95 I know I am a hillbilly but shooting a defenseless tree :questionmark: I have kept a rough round count on my pistols but am going to do a better job with the practice.
Mike

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
I generally try to keep notes on how many rounds, what brand(s) and any reliability issues from each range trip - though I've been slacking on that lately. I mainly want to know the number of rounds downrange (maintanence and resale value) and problematic ammo for each of my weapons. I usually try a basic grading of ammo accuracy as well (ie, Brand X = acceptable, Brand Y = fair, etc).
Jack

·
Registered
750 Posts
Defenseless Tree? HA!

A tree is just a bunch of baseball bats waiting to happen. And more people are killed every year by baseball bats than handguns! :yup:

mm

·
Registered
88 Posts
I know my brother does this. Since it is a new year, I think I'll start this practice. I know it is almost April and I haven't had a formal range visit yet. I suck.

·
Premium Member
6,366 Posts
CCW NOT held to same standards as LE!

mike_1 said:
How many of you keep a shooting log? One that documents when you shot, how many rounds and what drills were practiced. This was brought up by one of the instructors at my CC class. He said as permit holders we would be held to the same standards as LE if GOD forbid we wind up in court. He said a prosecutor could ask how often we practiced and that could have a bearing on the outcome. To me this made a lot of since. So I think I will start to keep a nice log of all my practice from here on out.
Mike
I don't keep a log, although I would guess my attendance records at my IDPA matches might serve as such, as would my IDPA ranking.

We as citizens are NOT held to LE standards! We for example are not required to give a verbal warning before we shoot. We are not required to practice or qualify as it is presumed that we will not be put into life threatening situations as often as a LEO. Although it MIGHT be a good idea, you are not required to use the same ammo as the LEO's in your area, nor the same gun or caliber. Neither do most of us have acces to the LE ranges (although some IDPA clubs do) for that sort of practice. How does a prosecutor expect a citizen to practice draws and actual course fire lacking these facilities? Naaaaw there's too many ways to fill that particular stupid prosecutor trick, full of holes...lol.

Here's another stupid prosecutor trick:
Mr Permit Holder, since you claim to have shot this poor misbegotted soul during the course of a holdup...and he subsequently died.....do you REGRET this action? Who wouldn't have some feelings of regret? But if you say you do...you're TOAST. Guilty folks REGRET their actions...at least that's how stupid prosecutors see things. If you claim you're PROUD to have killed the fool, unless you live in a new castle doctrine state that precludes the lawsuit (like FL), you've just set yourself up for the mother of all lawsuits. So what do you say?

Mr Prosecutor....I GRIEVE for that young man and his family. I grieve for what HIS actions forced me to do.....

Anyway, we're not LEOs and we're not as a matter of course held to the same standards....

1 - 20 of 34 Posts