Defensive Carry banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the outdoor range at dusk today. I shot a variety of loads, but one that really stood out was Power Pistol. I think it has flash intensifier instead of suppressant. Man what fireballs! I think I'll just put Power Pistol on the back shelf. I have better powders anyway. BE-86 is one, and Titegroup is another.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I recently cracked my first pound of it open. Loaded some mid range 124 gr 9mm.
At the outdoor range I shoot at the bays are very simple - 2x4s, a steel roof, and screens separating the bays. So the ejected brass tends to go all over.

First one of my power pistol loads went right down the front of my shirt. I’ve never felt a piece of brass that hot.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
What cartridge were you shooting? What bullet? What barrel length?

Ive never used Power Pistol before. Its a pretty average burn rate. I could see if it were an especially slow powder and you were using a snub revolver, but I wouldnt guess it would give that huge flash in a regular length barrel in a semi-auto.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
I've always wanted to try Power Pistol in the 10mm. But it looks like it's going to be a while before I can even consider doing it. So I'll have to stick to Blue Dot.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've always wanted to try Power Pistol in the 10mm. But it looks like it's going to be a while before I can even consider doing it. So I'll have to stick to Blue Dot.
You may want to check out BE-86, if you can find it.

·
Super Moderator
20,167 Posts
I was at the outdoor range at dusk today. I shot a variety of loads, but one that really stood out was Power Pistol. I think it has flash intensifier instead of suppressant. Man what fireballs! I think I'll just put Power Pistol on the back shelf. I have better powders anyway. BE-86 is one, and Titegroup is another.
It's been said by some that BE-86 is Power Pistol with a flash supressant.

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's been said by some that BE-86 is Power Pistol with a flash supressant.
It may be. I'll check out some load data and see how close they are. I've loaded some 185 gr Gold Dots in 45acp using BE-86 with excellent results.

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
If I can find it. I've loaded up some 200gr XTP's with a moderate load of Blue Dot that I'm planning to try. Blue Dot seems to work well with the heavier bullets with a longer bearing surface.

·
Super Moderator
20,167 Posts
The last time we had a powder shortage, one of our Tuesday Night Steel shooters was using Blue Dot in his 9mm. His loads routinely fired with a foot-long lick of flame - pretty impressive!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I haven't tried shooting it at night, so I don't really know about the flame it puts out, but I use PP for all my 9mm loads. I find that it makes velocity very well from my short-barreled XD, and the velocities are very consistent from one round to the next, and from one loading session to the next. With those two things, I'm not sure a little extra flash would matter that much to me.

·
Registered
3,808 Posts
If I can find it. I've loaded up some 200gr XTP's with a moderate load of Blue Dot that I'm planning to try. Blue Dot seems to work well with the heavier bullets with a longer bearing surface.
A lot of the data I have looked at the Blue Dot has some very impressive ballistics with the 10mm. I have used Hodgdon Longshot with 10mm before for target stuff and that was pretty hot. I have switched to Unique for it's versatility because I can use it for all the pistol calibers I load at this time and my LGS usually stocks the 8lb kegs.

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
I have used Power Pistol very successfully in 10mm, 9mm and .40. Can't attest to fireballs because my night shooting is done with issued ammo.

Reactions: flh

·
Registered
150 Posts
I love Power Pistol and really dig the extra flash. LOL
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any anywhere the past year or so. My reloading is on hold and my shooting is way down.

·
Registered
4,268 Posts
I use PP yes it’s a little flashy, it shoots clean etc.

I compete with what I carry, Glock 23 w/357 sig barrel, normally I switch to the 9mm barrel for a competition, but it can be fun to watch the RO jump a little when the first round is fired.

I was just at the range last week and the RO jokingly said be careful not to set the target on fire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts