Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My feeling is the cost to shoot is climbing at a steep rate. Shooting range owners, outdoor range owners are making it difficult for gun owners to keep their skills up. I would like to use the example of a indoor range located in Huntington Beach CA. to show membership cost. Please comment how you feel about costs. Here is a reference to the range http://www.firingline.net/memberships/
The owner had Tuesday night free for the ladies to shoot but some lawyer got a law suit to stop that discrimination.(cannot win). Annual membership is currently $150 per year, there is no discount for people over 65, no discount for serviceman and no discount for vets.
They have a Law Enforcement Membership for $75 per year. Why the price discrimination? The police officers make outstanding money, they retire at 100% of their pay or better. What is it with Range Owners to treat a community of shooters so badly??? It seems to me a range owner would want to encourage shooters and give a break to those who can least afford it. By not giving a break to active duty servicemen and Vets it shows a we don't give a dam attitude.
The guy is the only game in town so if you want to shoot payup. Your comments please, do you have a simular situation near you??

·
Registered
615 Posts
Range memberships aren't as expensive here as in California, but still, you'd have to be in every week to make it worth your while. I paid $84 for a year and that gave me $4 off the normal $15 fee to shoot, $17 if you shoot both pistol and rifle range. Last year, I was at the range every week up til August, then tapered off to every other week. I did save a bit but so far this year I haven't been back. They don't list any "discounts" for membership. They offer 5% discount on purchases, but frankly, their ammunition is expensive to begin with, so I don't buy it there. I would love to open a range up, have scaled membership costs, and lots of cheap ammo. I would prefer to get on a marketing campaign to get the average Joe and Jane out for a family affair. Wishful thinking...and I'm straying a bit off topic. Outta here!

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
KC135 said:
My question is simple--why do I owe you?
Hi KC135, you don't owe me! The folks doing business owe's the community at large fair business practice. Price structuring for classes of people may turn out to be unfair. It would seem like a range has a membership price and by offering specials would intice more members.

·
Registered
742 Posts
FortyFive, Was not trying to be smart--and am not now.

I am sure whoever is P&L responsible for the facility, likely knows how to run his business. It may be his opinion that reduced cost memberships are not in his best interest. Owner may not want more members.

LEOs are a special subject, and just as any lawful business likes cops in and out, so does this business owner.

On this one we will have to agree to disagree.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi KC135-no we are in agreement, I have shot with many Law Enforcement and developed shooting friendships. Been stopped by a few and its always been friendly and cordial. I have FBI and cops living all around me so I am pro LEO, no doubt about it. My point is pure economics, price being forced up. A few years ago the owner may have needed the boys in blue around but not so much anymore in my opinion. The equipment is not up to training par needed for LEO. Just my thoughts.
I do hope we continue to get input from others around the country.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
VERY few outfits like this in New England. However, we have lots of gun clubs that are private organizations you can join.

Gun Clubs:
- You pay one membership fee/year and use it as often as you like. NO additional fees for usage.
- Typically there is an initiation fee when you join, so the first year can cost you up to double the annual dues.
- You bring your own ammo/guns, nothing to rent or buy at the typical gun club.
- Most have indoor facilities for pistol (and .22RF rifle only) that you can use 24x7x365.

Here are two that I currently belong to:
- Braintree Rifle & Pistol Club has 7 shooting ranges (2 indoor-jacketed ammo OK, trap range, 50/100yd rifle, silhouette (.22 only)/police qual, pistol, and plinking (pistol or .22RF rifle only), archery). Clubhouse is A/C and has satellite dish TV, kitchen open Sunday mornings (except Summer). Dues are $90/year. http://www.brp.org
- Ames Rifle and Pistol Club has indoor pistol, 50/100yd rifle/pistol, 200/300yd rifle, pistol plinking (pop-up targets). Dues are $105/year. http://www.amesriflepistolclub.net/

·
Premium Member
20,045 Posts
My local indoor range prices:

The CLUB Package

$149.95* Annually

Shooting Lane Rental Fee $6 Per Hour (Regularly $12 per hour)
You Can Reserve Lanes

------

The EDGE Package

$279.95* Annually

One Firearm at Dealer Cost
Range time for an entire year
Half off regular price for one class
25% Off of all range ammunition
One free maintenance or introductory to handguns class
10% off most retail merchandise in the store
You also have the ability to reserve a lane on a busy day

------

The LIFETIME Package

$1999.95 Onetime Fee
Includes ALL Family Members

No Shooting Lane Rental Fee
You Can Reserve Lanes
Purchase One New Firearm at Cost Per Month
Free NRA Membership or Renewal
Up To 150 Hours of Scheduled Instruction or 50 Hours Private Instruction
10% Off Most Retail Items

My local outdoor range prices:

Annual Membership Fees:

Individual -- $75.00
Family -- $85.00
Guest Fee -- $4.00

Members may purchase a gate key, for $10.00, which allows you access from dawn to dusk.

Non-member Range Fees:
Daily range fee - $6.00

I believe these are reasonable prices in both cases.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow..thanks guys, this will give us all a tour of the country and cost to shoot. We go to a small outdoor range where its $100 per year and bring a guest for $5, I go to that one once in a awhile, its kinda of a fun place to go you would never know its there in the side of a hill. The only drawback commute time is about an hour and half. One other outdoor range is about $300 per year. I need to move near an outdoor range.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Local indoor range here in Albuquerque charges me $100 corporate membership (4 people min.) per year, go as often as I like and no other rental or time fees. Daily use for a non member is around $16-$17. That gets expensive fast. I think an individual membership is $200 per year, so you'd have to go more than once a month to pay for it. (I go every week, so I know get my money's worth!:))

·
Registered
940 Posts
God, I shouldn't say this...but....

I'm on the board of directors at my local outdoor range.

It's $35 a year for the immediate family. You're given the combo to the gate. 24 hour access.

Yep, $35 per year. Guests are $3 a day. Yes, $3.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
$150/yr which I paid nadda. Free rental of all house guns which includes fully auto's and one pruchase at cost per year. 10% of house ammo, but I buy from Wally World anyways.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I paid $119.00 for a year at the local dealer/indoor range. This permits me and up to four guests unlimited time. The only downside is this range is about 14 miles from where I live, while the range about 1 mile away from home is $250.00 per individual membership per year. There is really no difference in quality of the facilities, etc., so I really don't mind the drive.... especially considering after I finish shooting I get to check out all the new goodies that have come in to the store the last week.

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
Now I don't feel to bad. Mine is an outdoor range about an hour away, and runs $150 a year.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Local indoor range is $280 per year for individual and $290 per year for family. No discounts for special classes and membership is currently capped at 2000 members.

The club where I'm the President is $135 per year individual with a one-time initiation fee of $135. The special classes break down as a percentage of the Individual Membership like this:

Family 150%
Senior 50%
Student 50%
Youth 25%

-Scott-

·
Registered
340 Posts
Am I the only one that goes out to the desert and shoots for free...?

No range rental fee.
No yearly club membership fee.
I have my own safety rules.
I am the range staff.
I can draw, move, engage multiple targets and even do John Woo SWAT rolls if I want to.
I dont have others pointing guns at me.
There are no gang bangers.
No keys or combos to the gate.
I can bring/shoot any gun I want.
No addtnl fee for friends/family.....they can SWAT roll too.
There is no 30 year buildup of lead dust to breath.
Did I mention its free and nobody points guns at me...??

Family FREE
Senior FREE
Student FREE
Youth FREE

1 - 20 of 54 Posts