Defensive Carry banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any data out there that examines NON LE self defense weapon discharge with the following criteria:

1) Distance to BG?
2) # of rounds fired?
2a) # of rounds that were considered effective in ending the threat? (i.e) Hits vs rnds fired ratio
3) Location? (i.e) Home, parking garage, convenience store etc...?
4) Caliber of weapon?
5) End Result?

etc..etc...

I would think the DOJ or FBI would have such info.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
I don't think they break the numbers down that way for civilian only shootings. IF I remember correctly I seem to recall sitting in a class put on by the Bureau in which they stated the data on the shootings for civilians was kept only in regards for CRIMINAL stats (like kitchen knives used in assaults, etc.). I don't think they track a seperate stat for justified shootings in a civilian setting, unless something has changed.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Because the vast majority of us aren't LEOs dealing with raids and other high risk scenarios on a daily basis.
Yep. You beat me to it.

LE officers knowingly walk (into) a dangerous situation when called with weapons at the ready and hopefully stacking the odds in their favor for a good outcome; we civilians do not.
Therefor I was interested in percentages as stated [IF] they were tracked; apparently they are not.
Such info would be valuable I would think.

It would be interesting as just a basis to see if the NON LE community had to fire their weapon in defense from home invasion or do street crimes happen more often?

·
Registered
11,153 Posts

·
Registered
37,053 Posts
The only one that matters is the one you're involved in...

Reactions: Secret Spuk

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
Most police shootings are self defense shootings very similar to civilian shootings. Shooting someone during an entry, or other operation is rare. Besides bullets and people react to them the same in any situation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts