Defensive Carry banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No not Gov. Bobby Jindal, no not at all, I think he's a great guy. Now the Governor on Walking Dead that's another story, but this isn't about him either.

Of course, I'm talking about S&W's Governor (Taurus makes the Judge). I've always been very luke-warm about big pistols shooting .410 shells. I don't have one, never been serious about them either, and frankly I doubt I'd ever buy one.

However, I did get the chance to shoot one a few times yesterday and I'd have to say I'm fairly impressed. Certainly S&W makes good revolvers and the Governor is no exception. For a big gun, it feels good in your hand and seems pretty natural to aim. Some may say it's a bit overwhelming for small hands. My wife has shot a .460, I'm sure she could handle this gun as well. We did some informal shooting "tests" yesterday and shot it with #8 birdshot and a few self defense shells (a mix of flat discs and BB's).

It really spreads the #8 shot out quickly, I'm only estimating here but at 30 feet the shot pattern may be 3-4 feet wide, and moving closer to the target it's still surprisingly wide. The star of the show was the self defense shells, they don't spread nearly as much and if on the receiving end, would easily ruin your day under 30 feet.

I was impressed.

Recoil not bad at all, the self defense shells were a bit more.

I'd say it would be a good niche gun, especially if you lived rural and didn't have many guns to choose from. Snake in the yard/varmint in the yard, grab the Governor, it would do the job. Varmint dispatched, reload it with the self defense loads for the house/car.

It's really too big to CC very well, but pretty easy to be discreet with when answering the door, or going outside.

Like I said, I am impressed, but likely won't buy one.....I have ample guns. I'd say it has a limited market, and some might like it just because it's "intimidating" somehow, having a revolver that shoots .410's. You bet, there are better guns out there, but I can't say this one is totally useless either, it just depends on your needs. Living where I do (rural), and if I didn't have any guns (HA!), I could buy this one and easily go from buckshot to birdshot in a few seconds and be able to do it with a gun that's relatively small and quick to handle. It's actually pretty versatile.......home, yard, vehicle.

I might do some more formal tests on penetration, pattern, etc.

An interesting afternoon.

·
Registered
36,941 Posts
I agree that these .410 revolvers are more of a "working the farm or hiking" niche firearm, although I don't know why anyone insists on drawing a gun and shooting a snake when it's a whole lot faster and easier to step (or leap for some) back a few feet. A friend carried a T/C Contender with the .45/.410 barrel when we went hunting, and it admitttedly was handy in putting grouse in the camp stewpot on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
although I don't know why anyone insists on drawing a gun and shooting a snake when it's a whole lot faster and easier to step (or leap for some) back a few feet.
Well that would be me. :smile: We live very close to a private lake, and I sometimes find water moccasin's cruising through our yard !!! I don't like that at all, and don't want them hanging around here for any reason. Grandkids playing, elderly FIL outside, wife working in flowerbed, granted, I usually let all snakes move on unmolested. Poisonous one's around my house are not welcome.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
...you have no idea how many keyboards you just ruined in Texas when we spilled our coffee reaching for our shootin' irons...we love our Guvnah here!!!(well, most of us, anyways, as evidenced by the last election!!!)
No not Gov. Bobby Jindal, no not at all, I think he's a great guy. Now the Governor on Walking Dead that's another story, but this isn't about him either.

Of course, I'm talking about S&W's Governor (Taurus makes the Judge). I've always been very luke-warm about big pistols shooting .410 shells. I don't have one, never been serious about them either, and frankly I doubt I'd ever buy one.

However, I did get the chance to shoot one a few times yesterday and I'd have to say I'm fairly impressed. Certainly S&W makes good revolvers and the Governor is no exception. For a big gun, it feels good in your hand and seems pretty natural to aim. Some may say it's a bit overwhelming for small hands. My wife has shot a .460, I'm sure she could handle this gun as well. We did some informal shooting "tests" yesterday and shot it with #8 birdshot and a few self defense shells (a mix of flat discs and BB's).

It really spreads the #8 shot out quickly, I'm only estimating here but at 30 feet the shot pattern may be 3-4 feet wide, and moving closer to the target it's still surprisingly wide. The star of the show was the self defense shells, they don't spread nearly as much and if on the receiving end, would easily ruin your day under 30 feet.

I was impressed.

I'd say it would be a good niche gun, especially if you lived rural and didn't have many guns to choose from. Snake in the yard/varmint in the yard, grab the Governor, it would do the job. Varmint dispatched, reload it with the self defense loads for the house/car.

It's really too big to CC very well, but pretty easy to be discreet with when answering the door, or going outside.

Like I said, I am impressed, but likely won't buy one.....I have ample guns. I'd say it has a limited market, and some might like it just because it's "intimidating" somehow, having a revolver that shoots .410's. You bet, there are better guns out there, but I can't say this one is totally useless either, it just depends on your needs. Living where I do (rural), and if I didn't have any guns (HA!), I could buy this one and easily go from buckshot to birdshot in a few seconds and be able to do it with a gun that's relatively small and quick to handle. It's actually pretty versatile.......home, yard, vehicle.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
The 410/45Colt has been around awhile in came and went and came back.
It is a novelty gun. Nothing more.

Reactions: Nmuskier

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
...is that barrel rifled? I recently let go of an Ithica pump because it had a rifled barrel and the rifling made donuts with buckshot or shot, spread way too fast...

I was impressed.

·
Premium Member
4,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...is that barrel rifled? I recently let go of an Ithica pump because it had a rifled barrel and the rifling made donuts with buckshot or shot, spread way too fast...
It has a short barrel and it does have rifling. The shot do spread out fast, the home defense round was dead on a liter Coke bottle at 30 feet.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
...the flat discs interest me..."some folks" used to load the 12 ga with dimes...it was kinda like a flying lawn mower...

·
Registered
36,941 Posts
Well that would be me. :smile: We live very close to a private lake, and I sometimes find water moccasin's cruising through our yard !!! I don't like that at all, and don't want them hanging around here for any reason. Grandkids playing, elderly FIL outside, wife working in flowerbed, granted, I usually let all snakes move on unmolested. Poisonous one's around my house are not welcome.
You kill one and all its relatives will come to the funeral. Like people, sometimes they don't know when it's time to go home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts