Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scanned this article for the forum since a few of our more valued forum members are now interested in AR15 related stuff.
I'm really not too keen on violating any magazine copyright laws so I'm only going to leave this posted for 24 hours then it will be gone off the web.
So save it to your personal computer if you want it for keeps.
Since there are only a handful of forum members that are totally goofy over the AR...I figure that if I just leave this posted for a very short while....then that is "akin" to just leaving a copy of Shooting Times at the local barber shop for a select few haircut customers to look at. :biggrin:
Here it is...there seems to be some valuable ballistic & "rate of twist" info. contained in this article. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
QKShooter,Great idea,and thanks for putting this up. Hopefully it will create more AR shooters. It's a great weapons platform for simi-long range hunting.(IMO out to 400 or so yds.) More people need to explore it's hunting(predators and varmints)potential. I have used one(or more) for years and mine never ceases to amaze me.-------

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Most useful ref QK - even for this non AR dude :smile:

·
Administrator
143,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barrel Twist Rates

I thought the barrel twist rates might be extra helpful to anybody thinking about building one. They could decide mostly what purpose they wanted to use their intended rifle for & then be better able to select the correct barrel.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Great article. I just bought my second AR and am gonna set it up for varminting. Good info.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Most of us up in Maine used the AR platform for yotes. 50-55gr. bullets max fast. I used the 50gr. NosBalTip. Never had one exit with even decent hit at 400+ yds. With my trigger job(cut down hammer tail,Ti firing pin,cut down disconector spring,hammer and trigger surfaces polished and squared) and JP brake installed, could put(and see)multiple hits on a yote at 200yds. Remember that with a auto the blast and the action are all one sound so if you miss or there are multiple targets,you have a chance for more shots. I have killed 3 yotes in a bunch several times. AR's + varmints = loads of fun & lots of kills.-------

·
Registered
814 Posts
Those Noslers are great rounds. I personally like the Partitions, but that's just me.
Hunt hogs, javelinas, and turkeys down here in TX with mine.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
Good article QKS. Thanks for posting it.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
AR advocate here. I like the ease of changing the barrel/uppers for diffrent purposes.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
About 10 years ago,when I was a FFL,I purchased 4 stripped lowers.(That's the only thing regulated by ATFE.) I built them up at my leisure. There are unlimited possibilities with a AR. You can have a home/property defense weapon with short bbl and red dot, and/or laser,or a weapon that you can reach out and put multiple hits on your target with. I even have a upper that is chambered for .50 Beowulf.(150yd. hog gun) Grab the basics and start building. It's fun,easy,and the weapon that you have built will be your own creation.---------

1 - 13 of 13 Posts