Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No simple quick fix answer I'm sure....but like to get thoughts on the major flaw that causes shots left of target.
Is it more likely trigger finger or inadequate support hand grip ??? I've improved significantly by working on good fundamentals and actually gripping slightly harder. Used to be a combination of low/left, but the vertical spread has gotten much better. I've used snap caps, lot's of dry fire, and concentrated practice.
One of my goals would be to shoot 5 rounds @ 5 yards with at least all holes touching.....I don't believe that's unachievable at a slow pace, but can't seem to get there !!!
I'm trying to isolate the probable flaw so I can put some quality practice time on it.....RANT OVER !!

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
What gun, what sigts, what handedness, are you cross dominant?

Assuming your gun shoots to the sights, something to remember is that if the gun is shooting left, that's where the sights are when the shot breaks.

Really focus on that front sight staying where you want it and work the trigger PAINFULLY slow keeping that hard front sight focus until the shot breaks.

It's probably all trigger finger but you could be pulling with your support hand.

You can try some strong hand only drills and see of you are still pulling left.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,953 Posts

·
Registered
2,214 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
33,781 Posts
No simple quick fix answer I'm sure....but like to get thoughts on the major flaw that causes shots left of target.
Is it more likely trigger finger or inadequate support hand grip ??? I've improved significantly by working on good fundamentals and actually gripping slightly harder. Used to be a combination of low/left, but the vertical spread has gotten much better. I've used snap caps, lot's of dry fire, and concentrated practice.
One of my goals would be to shoot 5 rounds @ 5 yards with at least all holes touching.....I don't believe that's unachievable at a slow pace, but can't seem to get there !!!
I'm trying to isolate the probable flaw so I can put some quality practice time on it.....RANT OVER !!
FWIW, it's probably a combination of flaws, one being offset by another when you try to correct or compensate. Solid grip, effective trigger control and consistent muzzle alignment are the keys to accuracy. Get all three down, and your shooting will improve. Focus on one over the others, and you will find yourself chasing.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Trigger finger control. Too much finger on the trigger, unconsciously applying pressure toward the left while depressing the trigger.

Remedy: Concentrate on using only the tip of the trigger finger, applying steady pressure straight back.

·
Premium Member
2,280 Posts
Reactions: MMinSC and OldChap

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Humbling to put this out, but my G43 @7yds...10yds below the line.
Very easy to see the tendencies …..
View attachment 306172
So a lot people with average to large hands will get waaaayyy too much trigger finger on both the trigger AND the frame of a micro 9 like the 43.

Try to really emphasis hooking the finger to get that 1st segment closet to your hand off the frame.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks JD....will give that a try.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Also, I know this is out of left field, but maybe take some private instruction. :bier:
Yup...This is not a question for a forum, brother @BCC73

This is a question that must be answered during a visit to the range. There are just too many variables to just post a huge list of "could be" answers.

The only suggestion I will make is a fairly expensive one - relatively. This device will quickly reveal the problems and allow you to experiment with suggestions such as in the book spoken about above.

https://laserlyte.com/laser-training

If you get one of these, look at the kit complete with blue training pistol and target at the bottom of the page.

Reactions: rocky and BCC73

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
I think it’s really hard to say where your finger needs to be placed over the internet. That depends entirely on how you squeeze the trigger. You need to place it in a manner that will result in it being pulled straight back, which may mean more or less finger through the trigger well. There is no one right answer here regardless of what any piece of paper says.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I think you’re doing ok for a defensive shooter. Putting 5 rounds through one hole in a bad guy is a waste of ammo.

·
Premium Member
33,781 Posts
I think it’s really hard to say where your finger needs to be placed over the internet. That depends entirely on how you squeeze the trigger. You need to place it in a manner that will result in it being pulled straight back, which may mean more or less finger through the trigger well. There is no one right answer here regardless of what any piece of paper says.
Agreed. Location of the finger pad on the trigger makes absolutely no difference as long as it doesn't adversely affect grip and muzzle alignment.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
I think you’re doing ok for a defensive shooter. Putting 5 rounds through one hole in a bad guy is a waste of ammo.
Typicly the better you can do in slow fire, the better you can do at speed when groups tend to open up.

Being able to take your 2" group and turn into a 5" group but keeping that 5" group in the heart and lungs and done in under 2 seconds is a huge advantage.

If one can not properly apply the fundamentals in slow fire. They are not going to be able to apply the fundamentals when someone is trying to kill them.

·
Administrator
21,033 Posts
Agreed, that chart is BS.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts