Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a real sweet little Kimber ultra 9mm for one of my carry pistol but my wife took a fancy to it , shoots it well and claimed it as hers along with a new lined custom black hills owb holster too . What can a guy do buy start looking for a replacement .
I was going to buy another 1911 9mm and was sizing up the ultra / defender size , cco and commanders this time when I stop in to our local general store and found a trade in . A like new s&w 669 with a real nice safariland leather lined belt holster and 2-12 round mags and 26oz weight . This pistol is at least in 98% condition and with out a single scratch . After looking it over I went home and did some research on it . Went back last night and checked for a possible recall issue and it passed . Best part was the 359 dollar price for the package.

WE get use to the modern handgun designs with parts that are drop in , no fitting required . We can get where we think an apex kit m&p is pretty good or the vp9 is better and a the current 1000 dollar 1911 is better yet ?? But we may forget how well some older models firearms feel and work . I have got use to polishing trigger group parts to improve todays handguns and changing springs in some.

This pistol is a DA/SA with decocker . The DA trigger pull is a really smooth 8lb 7oz . Not lite but compared to most of todays da /sa pistol its real nice and so smooth it feels lighter than it is . Then the SA pull , averages 3lb 5oz , short reset on a highly polished wide curved trigger face that makes it feel that much better . I am pleased with this handgun and the owner that took care of it . I find it hard to understand why I over looked these pistols years ago when ever cop carry some variation of a s&w pistol before polymer was the norm .

Took it apart last night , found nothing to clean so put it back together and lubed it up . Went out back fired a few rounds under the moon lite to be sure it worked !! Gona try to shoot a couple hundred thru it today and see if its ready for carry time .

Don't over look those older pistols if your shopping for some "new " .

·
Premium Member
6,424 Posts
Looks like you got a deal!

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Congrats on your new (old) pistol! They were good shooting guns. I would avoid shooting +P loads in it though. Enjoy!

·
Registered
426 Posts
Congratulations on your new to you S&W 669 hardluk1. Always liked that pistol. Now you need one of those high capacity drum and you're all set.:smile:

·
Registered
681 Posts
Better hide it from your wife!

·
Registered
671 Posts
Well done. $359 for a nice 669 is a deal. S&W 2nd and 3rd generation semi-autos served LEAs very well for a long time. Too bad they are no longer competitive in the market because of manufacturing cost versus polymer. I like 'em.

·
Registered
4,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys . Wifes working on downloading a photo . Not easy for those of us not so electronically inclined ! . I'm glad to see mags available from mec gar and I need to get a son in law a couple 59 mags for Christmas so I'll order a few 12 and 15 rounders for back up mags . Yea I saw the drum mags and a 30 rounder . Think i'll pass on those .

I am a +P more power kind of guy but already have a few hundred rounds of federal hst tactical 147gr ammo for my wife so I try 50 rounds of those in it .

Wifes not getting to shoot this one !

Most of the older design needed to have some hand fitting and those folks are long retired except for the custom work or repair work . To bad but that's progress ain't it .
Is that a 3913 ?? Nice rig

1 - 7 of 7 Posts