Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He was working at a Gun Store, I stopped by to pick up some ammo....Anywho we got on the discussion of CWP and his stance was very Anti due to the fact that in his mind most people who carry that are not LE are not properly trained....He had the attitude of almost being pissed that citizens could carry.

:aargh4:

This was a retired MD State Trooper....

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
He was working at a Gun Store, I stopped by to pick up some ammo....Anywho we got on the discussion of CWP and his stance was very Anti due to the fact that in his mind most people who carry that are not LE are not properly trained....He had the attitude of almost being pissed that citizens could carry.

Sounds as if he needs to seek employment elsewhere. He's not going to be any kind of asset to the gun business that hired him.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
I don't like attitudes like he has, He can POUND SAND ; )

·
Registered
5,296 Posts
Sounds as if he needs to seek employment elsewhere. He's not going to be any kind of asset to the gun business that hired him.
Roger that. I wonder if the gun shop owners knows about their employee's anti attitutude.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts

I also have a sales guy ex-LEO at an indoor range where I have a membership and shoot often.

He was actually fired. Now he is mostly bitter and very arrogant even to most customers.

I know him by name. I have bought a couple pistols from him so we are on stable terms. I don't know why he was fired but it could be just his personality.

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
A MD trooper who doesn't like armed citizens...who woulda' thought?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,063 Posts

While I wouldnt phrase it quite so combative I have to admit that untrained people with guns scare me.

Edit - I should rephrase that. Untrained people in PUBLIC PLACES with guns scare me.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I still think there is hope for MD. I think there are still enough rural areas of the state that 'shall issue' isn't out of the cards... it may be a long shot, but the possibility is still there.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
Yep, that store and the Ex-MD State Trooper can go pound sand!

The store/range where I bought my XD9sc has an employee who is a current MO State Trooper.

He was very cool, and friendly and let me try out two additional guns without charging me rental fee's on them. Pretty stand up guy, if you ask me, considering he's the one who has to clean them after I was done.

To me, you're either In Business to Do Business or you're not. Sounds like the shop in the original post isn't concerned with losing business.

But then again, It's Maryland!

·
Registered
304 Posts
The irony there is that the vast majority of gun owners shoot more then the majority of the police officers. Of the police I know, less then 10% shoot more then the absolute minimum it takes to qualify and keep their jobs. It scares the crap out of me that they are required to carry a gun as part of their job as they clearly have no idea how to use it properly.

·
Registered
568 Posts
While I wouldnt phrase it quite so combative I have to admit that untrained people with guns scare me.

Edit - I should rephrase that. Untrained people in PUBLIC PLACES with guns scare me.
Why? What are you scared of?

What do you consider training? As a resident of Pennsylvania, I've never been forced to take a mandatory 'training' course. Am I untrained?

We have a proportionally high number of LTCF holders here.
1 of every 20 people is licensed to carry. None of those people have taken any kind of state mandated 'CCW class'. Yet we don't have more accidents, crimes committed by licensees, 'bad shoots' due to ignorance of the law, or instances of licensees shooting in self defense, missing their intended target, and hitting innocents than states that do mandate training.

So, what is there to be scared of?

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Why? What are you scared of?

What do you consider training? As a resident of Pennsylvania, I've never been forced to take a mandatory 'training' course. Am I untrained?

We have a proportionally high number of LTCF holders here.
1 of every 20 people is licensed to carry. None of those people have taken any kind of state mandated 'CCW class'. Yet we don't have more accidents, crimes committed by licensees, 'bad shoots' due to ignorance of the law, or instances of licensees shooting in self defense, missing their intended target, and hitting innocents than states that do mandate training.

So, what is there to be scared of?
Perhaps training is not a good word to use. Let's say "Range time". People that buy a gun, carry a gun and go to the range maybe once a year if at all are the people that scare me. Also, people that don't understand that basics. Like not just paying attention to your target but what is beyond your target.

Why does this scare me? Because I don't want to be sitting in a crowded mall food court with my niece with a bunch of people carrying a gun that have fired it "that one time at the range". People that have no idea how to identify a threat. People that don't know to check whats beyond their target if they need to fire. To me, people that don't understand the basic concepts of carrying a gun for self defense are as dangerous as the criminals that I carry a gun to protect myself and my family from.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts

And this is in the state that allows Ocean City to hire summer police officers and give them a half day of firearms "training" and then turns them loose on the tourists with only two days of other LE training.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I still think there is hope for MD. I think there are still enough rural areas of the state that 'shall issue' isn't out of the cards... it may be a long shot, but the possibility is still there.
You are living in a dream world, with that attitude. The state legislators from Prince Georges County, Montgomery County and Baltimore County and City and the Back Bay Counties have far more clout than the folks from Western Maryland. And then there's the very anti-gun AG who thinks that NYC's mayor has all the right ideas on gun control. He instigated the infamous Maryland Handgun list, wants micro-stamping has publicly stated on several occasions that there is no justification for the possession of firearms by anyone other than the police and military. Maryland makes NJ look gun friendly.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Perhaps training is not a good word to use. Let's say "Range time". People that buy a gun, carry a gun and go to the range maybe once a year if at all are the people that scare me. Also, people that don't understand that basics. Like not just paying attention to your target but what is beyond your target.

Why does this scare me? Because I don't want to be sitting in a crowded mall food court with my niece with a bunch of people carrying a gun that have fired it "that one time at the range". People that have no idea how to identify a threat. People that don't know to check whats beyond their target if they need to fire. To me, people that don't understand the basic concepts of carrying a gun for self defense are as dangerous as the criminals that I carry a gun to protect myself and my family from.
I understan Rollo. There are too many macho men that think they cannot miss. I do not have a good answer to the problem.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
I would let the store owner know about his employees additude towards gun owners.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You are living in a dream world, with that attitude. The state legislators from Prince Georges County, Montgomery County and Baltimore County and City and the Back Bay Counties have far more clout than the folks from Western Maryland. And then there's the very anti-gun AG who thinks that NYC's mayor has all the right ideas on gun control. He instigated the infamous Maryland Handgun list, wants micro-stamping has publicly stated on several occasions that there is no justification for the possession of firearms by anyone other than the police and military. Maryland makes NJ look gun friendly.
I agree....Hell will freeze over before MD becomes a Shall-Issue state.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Perhaps training is not a good word to use. Let's say "Range time".
Range time teaches people how to identify a threat? That they are responsible for every round they fire, and duty bound to ensure that those rounds don't wound innocents?
Why does this scare me? Because I don't want to be sitting in a crowded mall food court with my niece with a bunch of people carrying a gun that have fired it "that one time at the range".
I'm quite sure that you have been in close proximity to people who don't meet your standards. If you live in a populous area, you very likely cross paths with several every day. Do you walk around scared all the time?
To me, people that don't understand the basic concepts of carrying a gun for self defense are as dangerous as the criminals that I carry a gun to protect myself and my family from.
Well no, they absolutely aren't, but I suspect that you meant "In my mind" rather than "To me". There are states that don't require people to participate in any training to qualify for licenses/permits. Those states don't have any more of the bad stuff than states that do require training. That's just a fact.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts