Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another question, the barrel on my Winchester 12G is 28" - it's a semi 12G and I really like it but it's so long it's heavy. Wouldn't mind it being long enough for skeet but 28" barrel is way too much for my 5'3" self. CWO hasn't been able to find one on-line and has been looking for a while. Any suggestions (legal suggestions) :wink:

Found a stock pic, it's a model 1400
my1400shotgun.jpg

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
We're looking for 24 or 26" with screw in chokes. I've checked Corsons and Barrel Exchange with no joy. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Go to Winchester its self and see what barrels they offer.

Reactions: Sister

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
I've looked but not contacted them.

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Sold out

Sister - You could have a gunsmith cut the barrel to the length you want, and have it tapped for chokes if you want to. Might be cheaper than buying a new barrel. I had a local gunsmith cut my NEF single shot 12 gauge to 18.5 inches - now it fits in the underfloor compartment of our SUV.

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sold out

Sister - You could have a gunsmith cut the barrel to the length you want, and have it tapped for chokes if you want to. Might be cheaper than buying a new barrel. I had a local gunsmith cut my NEF single shot 12 gauge to 18.5 inches - now it fits in the underfloor compartment of our SUV.
Is that legal to have them cut (not the size but to have it cut)? I didn't think it was legal to have them cut yourself? Good idea, I really like the gun but don't wish to break any laws. I'd like it at least 22" if that is not too short to shoot skeet?

(edited to add: I do hope it's legal to chop it after seeing the prices on another barrel!!! I got a deal on the gun at a pawn shop for $250, those barrel's cost more than the gun lol)

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Sister,

You can have whatever machine work done to the barrel that you want, as long as it still meets the minimum requirements for barrel length and overall length of the gun when you are finished. I don't think the NFA or ATF regulations address what machining operations you can have performed on them. Just the final dimensional requirements after the work is complete.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure about that.

P.S. Nice to see you and CWO posting again :smile:

·
Premium Member
5,103 Posts
A twin to mine on Gunbroker. Swap the barrels and resell.

Reactions: CWOUSCG and Sister

·
Registered
6,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice to see you two lovebirds back. :yup:
honestly...I forgot my password and can't post from my ipad and the desk top computer is in the back of the house. I'm keeping my big eye on y'all!

eye.gif

·
Registered
11,171 Posts
Is that legal to have them cut (not the size but to have it cut)? I didn't think it was legal to have them cut yourself? Good idea, I really like the gun but don't wish to break any laws. I'd like it at least 22" if that is not too short to shoot skeet?

(edited to add: I do hope it's legal to chop it after seeing the prices on another barrel!!! I got a deal on the gun at a pawn shop for $250, those barrel's cost more than the gun lol)
Yes, legal as long as barrel is over 18 inches and the overall length is over the minimum, which shouldn't be an issue with that gun.

Not sure if one barrel would work for defense and sport, though. For defense I'd want short, for sport you want longer for the sighting and swing of the gun.

How about selling it, and getting a pump in 20 gauge? You can easily swap barrels and the recoil would be less.

·
8,501 Posts

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Chop away as long as the barrel is over 18". When I purchased a $199 Maverick 88 years back, it had a 28" barrel. I ended up going the cheap route and chipping it myself. Went from 28" to 18.5", and then added a fiber optic front sight to the vent rib. It was ghetto, and Ive since sold it and got a proper shotgun, but it worked. Took a hacksaw, a rile, and some bluing. Overall about a 15 minute project.

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Chop away as long as the barrel is over 18". When I purchased a $199 Maverick 88 years back, it had a 28" barrel. I ended up going the cheap route and chipping it myself. Went from 28" to 18.5", and then added a fiber optic front sight to the vent rib. It was ghetto, and Ive since sold it and got a proper shotgun, but it worked. Took a hacksaw, a rile, and some bluing. Overall about a 15 minute project.
Been trying to avoid chopping it but may need to. We'll see as I got a couple more good sites to keep an eye on. :hand9:

·
Registered
5,032 Posts
Hare may be another source https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufa...3/Shotguns-42603/1400-41801/Barrels-43517.htm most are sold out but they are frequently getting new (old) stuff in or you can purchase another long barrel and have it cut down. .

Thanks, I forgot about them. I bought a new butt stock for a Win 94 I got from my Mom. She had it cut down to fit her and it didn't fit me. She was 5'3" and I'm 6'2"! They had quick turn around and the stock is perfect. Sister's same height as Mom was so if she ever wants to shoot it I'll put the old stock back on.

Reactions: msgt/ret
1 - 20 of 24 Posts