Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, some of you may be going :confused: at someone with as many posts here never having fired a firearm before. But I finally did this past weekend :redface:

I was on vacation in PA for about a week, and I took a few of my cousins with me as well. Went to Classic Pistol in Southampton, PA. Very, very friendly people... made us all feel at ease. I said it was my (and everyone else's) first time, and that was no problem at all. The gentlemen even took us to our lanes and demonstrated and explained everything.

I've been reading enough over the past year to have all the "book knowledge," but never had any actual physical handling experience with firearms. I'm glad I finally did. It was great! Everything I learned about safety and operating firearms translated very easily and well and I think my cousins had a good time too, and learned proper safety as well.

I decided it was probably good to start with a .22lr (the guys at the range/store also recommended that), so we rented a Ruger MkIII and also got a Sig P250 (9 MM). Both weapons were selected by the guy helping us. Much larger BANG than I was expecting, I have to admit. BUT, after that first shot (I shot the P250 as my first shot), I had a stupid cheesy smile on my face.

Both weapons functioned perfectly without any hangups, although i had a FTF (I think? The next round sortof fed, but not completely - the slide was partially back, and you could see that the next round was hung up in the middle of feeding from the magazine) on the P250 once, which I think was due to me limp wristing it (I could really feel myself limp wristing about two shots before the malfunction... not sure why I did that) - no fault of the weapon's. Luckily, what I learned here and elsewhere let me clear the jam quickly and safely. On the MkIII, seems like no matter what that thing just kept on ticking. I can definitely see why people love it so much, and the advantages of .22 on the range.

Also, it was crazy how fast we ran out of our box of 9mm (50 rounds). I can definitely see ammo being a huge cost haha.

All in all, great experience, and now I am no longer a gun virgin :danceban: . Also, I can definitely recommend Classic Pistol to anyone for their range. I can't comment on firearm purchases since I didn't do that there. They also have shotgun and rifle lanes, and even have a few Class III weapons for rent, if you can afford it. Also, I believe they offer classes, since right behind our range was a classroom where they seemed to be teaching a basic shooting course.

sorry for the long post!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Well congrats! I thought from your post title you had been shot for the first time. I thought, well there's something new.

Unfortunately you will end up addicted to this whole guns, shooting, hunting for ammo, concealed carrying, buying more guns, and the eternal 9mm vs. .45 acp debate.

I guesss it's too late to welcome you to the forum, but I'm welcoming the new you to the forum.

Shoot often and shoot safe.

Joker1

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
You're one of us, now, Welcome:smile:
And yes, that ammo thing can get kinda expensive, kinda quick,
I took me about 20 minutes to get rid of $33.00 worth of 44 magnum ammo at the range with the new S&W Model 29 today, but when I was done I sure had a $1000.00 grin on my face:yup:

·
Registered
413 Posts
Congrats, hope you enjoyed it!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Isn't it fun? I remember when I first started going to the range, I'd shoot through several hundred rounds and have a huge pile of brass behind me. Practically a safety hazard. I'm glad to have a few .22s so I can still shoot without breaking the bank.

Do you own any firearms yet or still deciding what to acquire?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Well Paul it just goes to show what can happen (WHEN YOU WISH UPON A STAR)glad you learned a lot from the forum prior to picking up a firearm and got to blow some holes in paper,If you ever get to the Rio Grande Valley Tx. look me up I'll turn that cheesy grin into a big ole smile when I let you shoot a whole array of weapons ,ammos on me

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Ah, I'll pass on typing up some shocked or snide comments. Welcome to your new expensive large grin making hobby.

Congrats.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Hey, welcome. I'm in a similar situation - I only started shooting a few years back. It's quite an experience, especially when you get started. Good luck financing it!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Congrats! The first of many great days shooting I hope. Oh and by the way that stupid cheesy smile is incurable.

·
Registered
830 Posts
welcome to the shooting world. i see you're from Orlando, or say you are anyway. If you want to go shooting just send me a PM i'll be more than happy to take out a new shooter i offer to take people from work out all the time. Won't even have to pay a rental or range fee since i'm part of a private range, just have to pay for ammo is all.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Thats great Paul34, I think I'm proud of you.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Sounds like your another gun "junkie" in the making. Just a hint on ammo. When you see it, buy a box or 2. Won't break the budget that way and you'll build up a stockpile of ammo in time.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I hope you have a wealth of money, your gonna have the wants and needs now! :image035:

Congrats, be safe and above all have a good time with it! :danceban:

·
Banned
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. Haha yea, I realized I should've worded the title a little better :embarassed:

Do you own any firearms yet or still deciding what to acquire?
None yet. I've been saving up for a XD 45 Compact. After that the plan is for a Mossberg 500. Then I'm thinking a 1911, and a MkIII. Then who knows! Maybe a few wheel guns, and I've always loved how a Beretta 92 looks... And of course, have to get a rifle (or two). man this is going to get expensive :danceban:

But for now, I'm saving for the XD 45C and my concealed carry license, along with the basic accessories I need since I've never owned a gun before or carried one. The rest will come later :smile:

welcome to the shooting world. i see you're from Orlando, or say you are anyway. If you want to go shooting just send me a PM i'll be more than happy to take out a new shooter i offer to take people from work out all the time. Won't even have to pay a rental or range fee since i'm part of a private range, just have to pay for ammo is all.
Thanks man! I'll keep that in mind.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Had a rifle when I was 14 to 15 (22LR). Didn't shoot again till I became a sheepdog in FL at 61 (9mm & 7.62x39) Didn't know what I was missing for 46 years, though all but the last 7 were spent in not so friendly New York State.
Happy & safe shooting.

(Get ready for more toys, equipment, ammo, storage, holsters, belts, books, magazines, etc., etc. It can get quite addictive and expensive unless you don't get into CC. Please consider joining the NRA, GOA and JFPO to help insure the ability to continue your new hobby.)

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'll take it one step further. I thought he had been shot this weekend and that he mentioned "for the first time" because he expected more of it!

:) Grats on you m8. I do think it's funny that you have 700+ posts on a gun forum and never shot anything before. I won't say anything snide but you can't say it's not humorous.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I seem to remember one of your first posts (just to prove that I do actually pay attention!) where you admitted to not being an experienced shooter but enjoyed spending time here as part of the learning process. I thought that was smart then, and I still do now! :hand5:

Congratulations, glad you had a good time this past weekend!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts