Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy bought a Springfield Armory 1911 in 45 caliber today (all stainless steel with wood U.S. grips) and paid less than $400 for it. A friend of his needed cash. We went and bought some ammo and did a little shooting with it, my S&W 442, and my Taurus PT709 Slim.

What a pistol!!! The 45 is a huge round compared to 38s and 9mm. It's such a large and heavy pistol, the recoil wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. This was my first time firing a 1911...sweet. I'll try to get some pics and post. I had told him if he didn't buy it I would...I wish I would have gotten it. It's a classic and fun to shoot (of course, I love shooting them all).

I also got my first IWB holster for the Taurus and it's worked out great. It's an el cheapo, but something to start with. I put about 100 more rounds through the Taurus PT709 and it was flawless and accurate, as always (both two-handed and one-handed). I'm approaching 500 rounds now. I got some different brands of rounds too...this thing eats everything I feed it and begs for more (federal, remington, winchester wb, hornady, american eagle, etc.). I got the Hornady Critical Defense in 9mm and 38 +P just to try. I put 50 rounds of plinkers through my S&W 442 today (two-handed and one-handed). The more I shoot it the more I like it too. Consistently hitting pumpkins with it from 50 feet both ways. I'm getting better with it each time I go. I don't anticipate having to hit anything with a snubbie from that far, but I like knowing I can. These two little guns have become my daily carriers, snubbie in the weak side pocket holster and 9mm strong side IWB or OWB CC.

I bought my wife and I both some pepper spray today too, thanks to advice I received on this forum. I feel better knowing she has it and I like having a non-lethal option as well.

Merry Christmas everyone!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
Sounds like a good day... too bad you couldn't get the .45, what a sweet deal... I'm sure I know what's on your wish list now...

Merry Christmas to you to...

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
Gotta love the 45acp. The USMC pretty much taught me that, and look what happened to me since then. I'm still ready for a 1911 to fall into my hands once again. I just don't actively pursue it as much as some. My P220 SAO has been a big brother through it all to me. Still...carrying a 45acp has an aura all it's own. Ten feet tall, and bullet proof pretty much. Everything else will just keep you sucking air until the day another 1911 finds it's way into your hands.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I went out and put my first 100 rounds through my DW cbob today. I looove shooting it, so smooth and balanced. Be careful, you might be sucked into the 1911 cult, it gets expensive. lol

·
Registered
687 Posts
My girlfriend and I shot a .45 the other day for the first time. Holding the .45 round next to the 9mm round makes the 9mm look like a toy.

I was very surprised by the lack of recoil. My girlfriend actually shot the .45 better then the 9. Now she wants a .45 and doesn't even wanna shoot the nines.

And now I'm thinking I should move up to .45. I can't let her shoot a bigger bullet then me. lol

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
What a sweet gun. There's a reason the 1911 and 1911A1 have been around for nearly 100 years.

And still as popular as they've ever been.

·
Registered
10,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've already been sucked into the vortex of semi-automatics as I was a died-in-the-wool revolver guy my whole life until recently (I still love the wheel guns, but am getting into semis too now). Now that I've got a couple 9mm, I can't stop. I shot my buddy's 40 caliber Glock the other day and it's been calling my name ever since. Now a 45 cal 1911...I'm getting deeper in as I go. The 1911 is a nice shooter because of the sheer size and weight...and the bullet dwarfs my other rounds. Honestly, the compact light Taurus PT709 9mm kicks worse that the 1911. It's something to go on my wishlist...It takes time to build a good collection.

Did I mention that the gun had only 3 rounds fired from it before he bought it? Got the box, holster, and a couple boxes of defensive rounds thrown into the deal as well. He's lucky, because I was on it if he passed...he got it for less than half of what it's worth. I'll post a pic sometime.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Yeah I got a SIG GSR 1911 in .45 ACP back in June. I have yet to hold a pistol that feels better in my hands than the 1911. Unfortunately, the SIG is back at the factory for a 2nd time because it likes to jam on me :frown:, but I have a solution. It's called the Springfield GI, my most recent pistol purchase, and it has yet to fail me. :image035:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Bought a NIB Glock 21 with Mepro night sights for $495 out-the-door last month (dealer says it was "buyer's remorse".....)...
This thing is tops! I'd never shot a .45 in my life...Now I'm wishing I'd started long ago.....Not that I'm thinking of giving up my 9mm's...:wink:
Like the old commercial says: "Try it....you'll LIKE it!"

·
Registered
38,214 Posts
My girlfriend and I shot a .45 the other day for the first time. Holding the .45 round next to the 9mm round makes the 9mm look like a toy.

I was very surprised by the lack of recoil. My girlfriend actually shot the .45 better then the 9. Now she wants a .45 and doesn't even wanna shoot the nines.

And now I'm thinking I should move up to .45. I can't let her shoot a bigger bullet then me. lol
Power corrupts. .45 ACP power corrupts absolutely! A girl that wants to shoot the biggest gun she can handle? Priceless and a keeper.:santaclaus:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Bought a NIB Glock 21 with Mepro night sights for $495 out-the-door last month (dealer says it was "buyer's remorse".....)...
This thing is tops! I'd never shot a .45 in my life...Now I'm wishing I'd started long ago.....Not that I'm thinking of giving up my 9mm's...:wink:
Like the old commercial says: "Try it....you'll LIKE it!"
You get a perfectly fine 1911 thread going and somebody has to drop the "G" bomb.

This picture of a beautiful Springfield 1911-A1 Loaded should clear out that bad taste...

·
Registered
473 Posts
Go 45ACP or go home !! j/k :gah: They're arent that bad to shoot, my GF loves shooting mine. One of these days i'll have a nice 1911, cant help but drool everytime i see one.

·
Administrator
143,838 Posts
You shot one? Now...you need one!
I couldn't live without having at least one "Old Slabsides" in the Gun Stable.

·
Super Moderator
19,570 Posts
I dearly love that big ol' .45 round... first serious handgun was a .45 (1911, of course), now I have four.

Intellectually, I know that a well-placed shot with a modern 9mm defensive round will stop a fight as quickly as a .45 ACP will. Viscerally, though, it's a LOT different. I did my first steel match last week, and the difference between 9mms and the .45s hitting the plates and poppers was VERY reassuring. Audibly and visually, it was like the difference between a tack hammer and a framing hammer on the plates!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I dearly love that big ol' .45 round... first serious handgun was a .45 (1911, of course), now I have four.

Intellectually, I know that a well-placed shot with a modern 9mm defensive round will stop a fight as quickly as a .45 ACP will. Viscerally, though, it's a LOT different. I did my first steel match last week, and the difference between 9mms and the .45s hitting the plates and poppers was VERY reassuring. Audibly and visually, it was like the difference between a tack hammer and a framing hammer on the plates!
I still have only one, my trusty 1990 SA Standard, which I packed for 19 years. Shot my first .45 in boot camp in 78 and carried one on duty for years before the M9 replaced em. My SA still see's occasional carry time but I've pretty much went with carrying my S&W 36. The SA is my bedside weapon and I have 100% confidence it'll do it's job with the 9 rounds of Winchester Ranger .230's in it.

Before ammo prices went through the roof I shot IPSC and IDPA for about 6 years. The only thing keeping me from using the .45 was laziness on my part not to reload for it and the cost of high capacity mags. There were times when my WWB 9mm 115 gr. ammo would not knock down some poppers. Never saw a single .45 not knock one down with authority.

Every man needs at least one 1911 and I highly recommend the Springer Mil-Spec. For the money I truly believe it's the best 1911 out there! No frills but everything you need in a .45.

Here is mine (Standard/Same as Mil-Spec) with about $200.00 worth of mod's to make it work for me though it shot fine out of the box. Trigger job was by far the best mod. Breaks everytime at a very crisp 4.5 lbs. thanks to Accurate Plating and Weaponry. I shoot it the best of any of my handguns with a H&K P7 coming in a close second. Still going strong after 100,000+ rounds of ammo. Had it reparkerized by C&S last year. I still plan on having the front strap stipled and having AP&W hard chroming it.

Merry Christmas everyone and a safe, healthy and Happy New Year!

Roger :santaclaus:

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Sorry bugdude

I've already been sucked into the vortex of semi-automatics as I was a died-in-the-wool revolver guy my whole life until recently (I still love the wheel guns, but am getting into semis too now). Now that I've got a couple 9mm, I can't stop. I shot my buddy's 40 caliber Glock the other day and it's been calling my name ever since. Now a 45 cal 1911...I'm getting deeper in as I go. The 1911 is a nice shooter because of the sheer size and weight...and the bullet dwarfs my other rounds. Honestly, the compact light Taurus PT709 9mm kicks worse that the 1911. It's something to go on my wishlist...It takes time to build a good collection.

Did I mention that the gun had only 3 rounds fired from it before he bought it? Got the box, holster, and a couple boxes of defensive rounds thrown into the deal as well. He's lucky, because I was on it if he passed...he got it for less than half of what it's worth. I'll post a pic sometime.

Sorry for your "Habit"
As of right now there is nothing anyone of us can do for you, as there is no 12 step program as of yet!!!
Take care and good luck in your quest for a .45! :danceban:

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss

1 - 20 of 26 Posts