Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I shot 75 rounds through it at the gravel pit today and was severly let down due to the cruddy trigger pull on this gun. I puchased it with a Crimson Trace lazer unit and the lazer quit working today as well. I am thinking the batteries are just dead?

The trigger is stiff and very hard to shoot. I have to pull so firmly on the trigger that it throws off the aim everytime.

I am hoping that I can have the trigger loosened up? Is thast possible on this little gun? Or that it will loosen up on its own after a few hundred rounds.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Sorry to hear that. You may want to consider taking it to a gunsmith to have it checked out, in case that there is something wrong with it.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Practice, practice, practice!

I take it this is your first DAO type gun? You should get some snap caps and dryfire the heck out of it until you get used to it. Make sure you are using the middle of the pad of your finger joint, and not the joint on the trigger; that WILL cause you to throw your shots off. I found the LCP to have a much lighter, smoother trigger than most small DAO pocket pistols out there actually.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What is DAO? Yes, it is my 1st pocket gun. I have a Glock 30 & 27 aswell as a Deagle .40, all of those triggers are smooth and nice.

·
Registered
42 Posts
DAO= double action only - no hammer- Hard to pull trigger for safety
SAO= single action only cock the hammer, trigger pulls easily and more accurate
DA/SA= double single action- Pull the hammer back or just pull the trigger,with the hammer back the trigger is real easy to pull,Double action have a heavier trigger pull for safety. Common on revolvers, not so common on semi-autos unless they have a decocker installed for safety.

My LCP has a hard trigger (heavy) pull also. It takes some getting used to but it is not an all day range gun. Just for emergancy use only. shoot about 50 rounds each time you go to keep the feel for it. Then move on to the fun guns

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts
The trigger should smooth out some with use...Get some snap caps and dry fire it a few hundred times....It should loosen up and smooth out...

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
I shot 75 rounds through it at the gravel pit today and was severly let down due to the cruddy trigger pull on this gun. I puchased it with a Crimson Trace lazer unit and the lazer quit working today as well. I am thinking the batteries are just dead?

The trigger is stiff and very hard to shoot. I have to pull so firmly on the trigger that it throws off the aim everytime.

I am hoping that I can have the trigger loosened up? Is thast possible on this little gun? Or that it will loosen up on its own after a few hundred rounds.
With all the reviews on this little gun here, I'm really not sure what you were expecting from it.

It is an excellent gun and very accurate for what it is. It's a belly gun, designed to be used at "contact distance" out to about 20-30 feet. Although it is quite accurate beyond that range.

Yes, it was designed with a fairly stiff trigger. It's a mouse gun for crying out loud.

I have found that it seems to be much more accurate and easier to shoot in rapid fire as opposed to two hand, slow, deliberate, aimed fire. For that, yes, the gun is so small, the long trigger pull is going to move you off target. I totally expected that when I bought mine.

But for me, it's a pretty nice, really accurate, reliable little pop gun and worth every penny. Easily able to hit moving targets while you are also on the move with combat accuracy.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with Bark'n. I've had my LCP for about a year now and have found that it shoots better in "rapid fire" mode. Try pulling the trigger swiftly rather than slowly.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts

I know what cha mean, but I would suggest learning to stage the trigger to minimize the long trigger pull. It's what I do for mine and this little pistol is very accurate at 7 to 10 when fired that way... :hand10:

GBK

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the reason I bought a P238
I don't mind the trigger on the LCP, but my wife hated it and I wanted a gun she could shoot too.
I sometimes wish I had an LCP though because the frame is smoother, and in my opinion easier to conceal.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
My wife (all 120 lbs of her) is very accurate with this little gun. As others have said, it is easier to just pull the trigger in one continuous fluid motion, than trying to be slow with it.

Barring something being wrong with it (get it checked) it sounds like just an issue of practice.

As far as the laser - I found with the CT laser for this gun that if you screw the two halves together too tightly, you will get intermittent issues of the laser not turning on properly. Back off the screws, and all is ok. I also find that sometimes I have an issue turning the laser on, because the pistol is so small than I really have to squeeze the grip hard to hit the laser "on" button. Under recoil, I sometimes have to re-tighten my grip - just hard to hang on to such a small gun, for me.

I have the same laser (CT Laserguard) for my G26, and have had no such issues with it, with the larger G26.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmm, gotcha, on the DAO stuff. And you are right it is not an everyday gun. I will shoot it a bit everytime I go out to the range. Thanks for the good info and help fellas. :hand10:

Does anyone know if the Keltek version has a stiff trigger too?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I've shot the Kel-tec and LCP on the same day. They are very similar in every way including trigger pull. IMO, the LCP is a little more refined.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just picked one up for my wife. I debated on the keltec or ruger without shooting either. Did a trade with a remington 788 I had and I'm glad I did.

My hands are big enough I am unable to even pull the trigger with my index finger, I have to use my middle finger which actually works great, just don't blow your index finger off while firing, lol

She has tiny hands and its perfect for her, she did better than me actually but I'm used to a 1911 with a 3.5 trigger pull so it takes some practice. You defintely want the spare mags with the extension as well......

Overall I like it for basically a 9mm that fits in my palm.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts

Take it out, set up at 5 yards max and blast one-handed like you're being attacked. Then comment on the trigger.

This is no target gun, but serves it's purpose well.

If you want a sweeter trigger and more accurate .380, get the SIG P238. It has "real sights" and is a great pocket carry.

We have both in our family.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Try to keep in mind what the gun is intended for. I don't enjoy shooting my LCP; it is not a range gun but it is a great for a backup gun, and close combat protection. It is also quite accurate for such a small gun. Don't be disappointed!

·
Registered
878 Posts
It is a pocket gun, not a range gun. If I pull the trigger and it goes bang I am happy with it. I dont expect to be shooting it at 25 yards so I dont expect the trigger to be perfect. Thats the way I feel about my LCR. I like the little gun.

·
Registered
10,994 Posts
I actually just put a down payment on another LCP today. It'll be my BUG and "throw in the pocket" gun. Best part was the price - $289 at a local gun store.:smile:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts