Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have three different boxes of shot shells given to me by neighbors that no longer shoot. The only shells I've shot in the past have been bird shot for fun and skeet. I have no idea of what a DRAM is or what DRAM EQ means. I've also been told that the term MAGNUM when applied to shot shells means "more shot", not monster re-coil. I'll list here what I have, I'd appreciate any information as to the differences in each shell as to re-coil, etc...THANKS.
ALL are 12 ga. 00 buck. 2 3/4 in.
(1) 12 pellet DRAM EQ. MAX
(2) 12 pellet Magnum
(3) 9 pellet-no mention of DRAM
:confused:

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
When I apply Dram ratings it's usually
Dram that hurt
Holy Dram wheres my shoulder

·
Premium Member
5,765 Posts

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
Didn't know, myself. A few quick searches on Google found the following ...

In plain language, here is a decent definition of "Dram equivalent": click.

Here is a discussion on ShotgunWorld BBS that explains "max dram equivalent": click.

To more easily approximate velocity of a shotgun shell, "Dram equivalent" can be expressed in a table: click.

On shells that do not list anything related to "dram," then you'll need to refer to the manufacturer's data or a chronograph's readings. Check the side of the box in which the shells came. Or, check a supplier of those exact shells (ie, CheaperThanDirt.com).

·
Registered
276 Posts
Dram aside they are all going to kick a whole lot worse than your average trap/skeet/sporting clays load. Those shotshells are designed primarily for self defense and, due to use, recoil wasn't much of a factor. If memory serves me the dram was a unit of measure for black powder and when smokeless came along the "drams equivalent" was put on the shotshell box for comparison. If I'm off here somebody correct me.

·
Administrator
143,593 Posts
A Reminder

A friendly reminder to keep serious thread topics (posted by members asking serious questions) that are not in the Off Topic & Humor area of the forum on topic to the original post.
If you want to add a funny "one liner" into an otherwise helpful reply then that is usually cool.
But, do not just post Off Topic without being (in some way, shape, or form) helpful to the thread.
It is mildly disrespectful to the member that posted the thread.
This has been added as a reminder to ALL members and not specifically directed toward dukalmighty....as it is happening more often in every area of DefensiveCarry.

When I apply Dram ratings it's usually
Dram that hurt
Holy Dram wheres my shoulder

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm assuming here, so if I'm incorrect, please feel free to correct me. The way I see it is that MAX DRAM is the same as MAGNUM. When I ordered some 00 12 pellet shot shells on line there was no indication that they were magnum. When I received them it said magnum on the box. All of the 12 pellet 00 that I've seen is labeled either max or magnum, so I'm assuming that all 12 pellet 00 is magnum. I shot both today, the 12 pellet labeled max and the 12 pellet labeled magnum. I didn't feel any difference in re-coil.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I have three different boxes of shot shells given to me by neighbors that no longer shoot. The only shells I've shot in the past have been bird shot for fun and skeet. I have no idea of what a DRAM is or what DRAM EQ means. I've also been told that the term MAGNUM when applied to shot shells means "more shot", not monster re-coil. I'll list here what I have, I'd appreciate any information as to the differences in each shell as to re-coil, etc...THANKS.
ALL are 12 ga. 00 buck. 2 3/4 in.
(1) 12 pellet DRAM EQ. MAX
(2) 12 pellet Magnum
(3) 9 pellet-no mention of DRAM
:confused:
OO Buck is for shooting deer or bad animals ( that includes the human kind :wink: ) where legal.

None of them are FUN to shoot without some padding :nono:

Keep em for home defense or go shoot some used appliances :yup:

:wave:

·
Super Moderator
16,853 Posts
The standard load for 00 Buck is 9 .36 caliber pellets so a load with 12 pellets would be a magnum. Magnum in shotshells only refers to heavier shot loads and not higher velocity.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Those are some premier personnel stopping rounds you have there.....

Keep them for self defense, they will do the job, those loads are pretty much what I load in the Benelli...

·
Registered
371 Posts
If keeping those 00 for home defense loads
keep in mind 00 buck has some over penetration
issuses for home defense. I like #4 buckshot
for HD

·
Registered
236 Posts
Magnum does mean a heaver load...which directly relates to a heaver recoil....thus felt recoil. Please read up on the Federal Law Enforcement Light Recoil loads. You will do your shoulder a great favor.
Especially if you using this weapon for home defense.

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Those are some premier personnel stopping rounds you have there.....

Keep them for self defense, they will do the job, those loads are pretty much what I load in the Benelli...
I agree with you, however , we seem to be in the minority.

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've never shot any 12 ga. slugs. From everything I hear, slugs produce a lot of recoil. My question is, are slugs loaded to magnum specifications, and is the recoil equivalent?

·
Banned
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've never shot any 12 ga. slugs. From everything I hear, slugs produce a lot of recoil. My question is, are slugs loaded to magnum specifications, and is the recoil equivalent?
Hello, anyone?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Hello, anyone?
Slugs will diffinently give you more felt recoil over even hot 00 buck. However, with a good recoil pad or reducing recoil stock, you will not mind the shock. I've got a Knoxx CompStock on my Mossberg 590a1 and it really does the job.

With a standard stock if you are shooting 00 buck I highly recommend the reduced recoil rounds.

You can really work off a lot of frustrations by blowing things up with 00 buck and slugs. Much more satisfying than just using target rounds. :smile:

However, your shoulder will take a beating with a standard stock.

For my SD rounds I keep the 590a1 loaded with Federal Flightcontrol 00 buck or reduced recoil rounds. At 15 yards the Flightcontrol 00's will stay within a 6" to 8" pattern.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I don't know if slugs are loaded to magnum specs or not, but slugs definitely have more pronounced recoil.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Thought I'd share some "real world" experience with reduced recoil 00 buck. I am VERY recoil sensitive due to neck/back problems so have been using RR buckshot and slugs for quite a while.

I shot a large dog a while back with Remington's 8 pellet RR 00 buck @ about 20-25yds. when he attacked my daughter's puppy. I hit him broadside with the first shot and could cover the pattern with my hand (8-9inches). Six of the 8 pellets were stopped by the ribs (ribs were broken) with only 2 pellets making it to any vital area. He got up back up and charged, the second shot was @ 6-8yds to the head.

Two lessons I took from this incident:

1. NEVER turn your back on a threat until you are POSITIVE there is no longer a threat.

After the first shot put him down with no obvious movement, I stopped to calm the 3 year old and check on her puppy.

2. Reduced recoil rounds are intended for CLOSE RANGE (in house distance) and NOT for farm protection.

I now have two HD shotguns. One dedicated "house gun" which never leaves the house except for practice and another loaded with standard 00 buck with 2 slugs and 2 buckshot in the speed-feed stock for going outside.

·
Registered
236 Posts
TS I'm not sure you're correct on the reduced recoil loads being a "house round". I shoot at 25 and 50 yards with Federal Law Enforcement Low Recoil Loads and they are right on at those distances. I shoot the 00 buck loads and the slugs. Slugs are extremely accurate at 50 yards and have enough power to penetrate a 1" salt treated 2x6. I'd say that was far more than adequate for farm use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts