Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the effect of firing buckshot thru a 20" slug barrel? Does this damage the barrel and how does it affect the shot pattern?

·
Super Moderator
18,050 Posts
Since most slug barrels are cylinder bored buckshot will not effect the bore, just a larger shot pattern.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Some "slug barrels" are just a regular short barrel IC choke with sights. Some are partially rifled and some are rifled full length. Some have shallow rifling, some are real rifled barrels intended for sabot slugs only.

Some states only allow shotguns for hunting deer and the modern slug-gun is accurate to over 100 yards, maybe even 200 if you know the drop.

Shot won't hurt the barrel, except steel shot will probably damage the rifling, lead will just foul it and it will be hard to clean.

An "old tech slug barrel" is great for quail hunting., IC 20"...

·
Super Moderator
18,144 Posts
Any fouling should be from the plastic wads, as the lead or steel never touches the barrel.

Thats a good point about some barrels being rifled and some that arent. I have both. You can even buy a rifled choke for a barrel that isnt rifled if you want more accuracy for a slug.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Any fouling should be from the plastic wads, as the lead or steel never touches the barrel.

Thats a good point about some barrels being rifled and some that arent. I have both. You can even buy a rifled choke for a barrel that isnt rifled if you want more accuracy for a slug.
Not all shot loads are in shot cups, wrapped and buffered. Evenb with the shot wads making a layer between barrel and shot, a rifled barrel or a soft barrel will be damaged bu hard steel shot.

Read what the maker says and follow those directions.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Some "slug barrels" are just a regular short barrel IC choke with sights. Some are partially rifled and some are rifled full length. Some have shallow rifling, some are real rifled barrels intended for sabot slugs only.

Some states only allow shotguns for hunting deer and the modern slug-gun is accurate to over 100 yards, maybe even 200 if you know the drop.

Shot won't hurt the barrel, except steel shot will probably damage the rifling, lead will just foul it and it will be hard to clean.

An "old tech slug barrel" is great for quail hunting., IC 20"...
I have a Mossberg 500 with a smooth bore that is accurate to 100 yards, which I know from personal experience. No exaggeration. This is with the cheap Remington slugs.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies. I'm asking because the I don't care to buy a short barrel for buck when I already have a 20" slug barrel. We're talking minimum usage here (home defense), I just didn't want to damage the accuracy of the rifled barrel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts