Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you recommend for a shot timer? Any specific features to get or to avoid? How well do any of them work for dry fire practice?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or ideas you can share.

·
Banned
19,639 Posts
None I've seen will pick up a click of dry fire. They are made to record shots fired, reaction times/splits, transitions etc. with live ammo. I've seen guys yelling "bang" so it records it, but there's lag time. It's funny to watch though.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Sounds like you're wanting this primarily for practice. I have the original ShotMaxx timer - which has been replaced by a newer version: SHOTMAXX-2 Watch Timer + Free Skin

These are worn on the wrist, and use an accelerometer, as well as a microphone, to measure recoil impulses. This allows it to isolate your shots when live firing on the range with other shooters.

It also has an "airsoft" mode with extreme audio sensitivity. I've used that quite successfully to time dry fire practice. With my revolver, I can usually register dry fire "shots" even on a regular timer, but the won't pick up many hammer fired and most striker fired autos while this one usually will.

If you're a competitive shooter, it also works great as a regular timer and you'll be the coolest SO on the range.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
None I've seen will pick up a click of dry fire. They are made to record shots fired, reaction times/splits, transitions etc. with live ammo. I've seen guys yelling "bang" so it records it, but there's lag time. It's funny to watch though.
AzQkr ... The iTargetPro laser trainer now has a quickdraw app that does just that. I've been using the target app for several months and recently added the quick draw app and found it works really well :smile:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts