Defensive Carry banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Mossberg 500 12ga. Will the magazine spring become fatigued if left fully loaded for extended periods of time? Is "downloading" by one enough to take care of it? Is replacing the spring on a schedual worthwhile or a waste of money? Thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
Most modern springs are quite resilient to spring fatigue, and repeated unloading and loading are more destructive in general than prolonged periods in a compressed or relaxed state. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I have had a Moss500 for use as a HD weapon for 18 years now. It is the 8 shot pistol grip model.Shortly after purchase I changed the grip and forearm to the Pachmeyer Vendicator series. It has the same mag spring in it as when i bought it.

I always keep 3 in the mag(3") with chamber empty,hammer cocked and safety on. The only time that I download this weapon is for routine maint. and if we go away on a trip.

No problem with the spring whatsoever. I can put only one round in the mag and it will feed it without a problem.---------

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have a 1956 Wingmaster I use for HD. I have had it for 6 months. But as far as I know the spring is original.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My 500 has a problem with the follower sticking either when fully loaded or on the last shot, I can reduce the problem by using a mix of 3” shells and 2x 2 ¾” shell first and last.

I just ordered a 590 to replace it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts