Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
13,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously, you want to own at least one of each, no question. I have had training with both and get the different technical capabilities of the two. But my question is about strategy and tactics. If you are in one of the following defensive situations, which do you think you would be most like to grab first and why? Shotgun, AR/AK or maybe something else, like a Scout Rifle? I know these categories have overlap and I know the perfect answer always winds up being "it depends." But try to generalize and present your thinking. I am not concerned with hunting, just defense against bad guys. I think this will be an interesting discussion for everyone and it will also help me with some purchase decisions.
  • Home defense
  • Truck gun
  • SHTF

·
Premium Member
38,999 Posts
Of course, my only grab it and shoot right now option is whatever is on my hip and in my pocket.

For the scenarios you listed, I want the AK. Thirty rounds at up to four rounds per second trumps one blunderbuss round per whatever for however many rounds.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
  • Home defense - Shotgun
  • Truck gun- handgun
  • SHTF- depends on proximity
Home defense - Shotgun
Truck gun- handgun
SHTF- depends on proximity

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
Hmmm. It's a good set of questions.

For home defense, I'd want an AR15. The main reason is that the AR configuration is generally much easier to add things like RDS and lights, both of which I think are very good things for CQ home defense types of situations. Also, I like the AR round for inside the home because it's a little less dangerous for over-penetration situations. Own every shot, yes, but things just happen and if the rounds are less likely to harm people two walls away, then it's probably a good thing since it's probably my family that's two walls away.

For a truck rifle, I'd want an AK underfolder (oddly enough, it's what's in my truck right now). There is simply nothing else that you can get without a tax stamp that matches it for discreet portability and firepower.

For SHTF, I think I'd probably opt for an AK but I wouldn't be uncomfortable with a AR either. I'd probably lean to the AK simply because it's the Glock of rifles. It's just about as reliable and trouble free as you can ask for. It's not the most accurate, but it's plenty accurate enough that if I'm in a situation where I'm defending a line or mowing down advancing zombies, it's going to out perform me all day long. The AR is by no means a slouch but the lighter bullet weight and more fine parts leaves it down just a tick or two in my tally. If, however, it's what you handed me and told me to slay the advancing zombies, I'd just go to work and not worry about what I would rather have. It's a fine rifle for the task.

Primarily, I think I'd be more concerned that the rifle, of either variety, was a quality build. A craptastic AK or AR is going to become a liability at some point, so whichever I chose, I'd consider the value of my life when considering the cost of the tool that might be tasked with saving it.

Shotguns, while fine firearms for defensive purposes, have too limited a scope for me to realistically choose one over either rifle, given the scope in which you've defined.

·
Registered
598 Posts
1. Home Defense: Shotgun
2. Truck (SUV in my case): G26
3. SHTF: 40-Watt Phased Plasma Rifle

Obviously, you want to own at least one of each, no question. I have had training with both and get the different technical capabilities of the two. But my question is about strategy and tactics. If you are in one of the following defensive situations, which do you think you would be most like to grab first and why? Shotgun, AR/AK or maybe something else, like a Scout Rifle? I know these categories have overlap and I know the perfect answer always winds up being "it depends." But try to generalize and present your thinking. I am not concerned with hunting, just defense against bad guys. I think this will be an interesting discussion for everyone and it will also help me with some purchase decisions.
  • Home defense
  • Truck gun
  • SHTF

·
Registered
10,162 Posts
VZ58 or AK for SHTF .Overbuilt and can last a very long time with poor maitence ..The ammo is often heavily sealed to protect from the cold and wet mags are cheep and overbuilt and UF and Side folding AK are normal as short as you can go before hitting NFA limits .

Shotguns are good and scary but most are slow to load and hold limited ammo and unless you have it slug set up limited on range etc

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
I'm simply not an AK guy, but it's obviously a great rifle to use. I am however a scattergun lover.

To me the shotgun for general use and shear brutality is always an attractive option. Yes you have low ammo capacity and you need to have some experience to run the gun well, but a shotgun with the right load is in a league of it's own when dealing with a threat.

All that being said, the AR15 is such a popular option because it does everything well. It's easy to use, light and easily handled and can stop a threat effectively with the proper type of ammo selection. It's what I would suggest to someone looking at the three basic platforms and wants something to simply protect the home front and have some fun at the range.

·
Registered
898 Posts
I'm going to say

1 AR
2 AR
3 AR

Its fast, there 60 rounds when I pick it up it has 2 30 Mag ,Light, Laser, red dot on it and you can hold people off at a distance if needed.
Some may ask why not a AK Answer I Don't Own One

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Home - shotgun
Truck - SKS
SHTF - SKS or shotgun.
all backed up with sidearm.
I don't own an AK.
My AR's are range toys.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,729 Posts
I may be a little different
HD - .45 on the nightstand and a shotgun nearby.
truck - AK
SHTF - AR/AK/pistol in .45 or .357 (all of them).

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
Home defense - shotgun. Because I don't live in stately Wayne Manor, if someone is already inside my house, they need to be stopped RIGHT NOW. Distance will be 20 feet or less. No option to run away. Kids and wife behind me. Only likely a chance for one or two shots, at most. That means SHOTGUN. Buckshot is always buckshot. Is a 5.56 going to expand, tumble or fragment? Maybe. Or maybe not. If not, you just shot a BG inside your house with an icepick. Good luck with that.

Truck gun - shotgun. Because it can be kept empty, and legal just about anywhere. In some places, a loaded rifle mag anywhere in the vehicle = a loaded (and illegal) gun. It is very easy to throw a shell or three directly into the shotgun, and take care of business. I have a NEF single shot I keep in the underfloor box in the back of our SUV. 10 Mini Buckshot shells (mix of #1 and #4 buck) in the butt cuff. Backed up by my sidearm, it'll do. If you want more reach, a lever gun will do, for the same reasons.

SHTF - Ruger 10/22. With 25 rd mags. Suppressed if at all possible.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
HD- shotgun or PCC
Truck- PCC
SHTF- whatever is closest to hand

Reactions: darbo

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
HD: Combination of shotgun and Glock 21

Truck: Glock 17 with several strategically placed 33 round mags

SHTF: Right now the AR. I got a lot of rounds and I find them to be reasonably accurate. Having said that I'd be happy with the AK, I just don't have as much experience with them as I do AR's.

·
Registered
632 Posts
A nice pinned 14.5 inch AR with red dot and light could work for all three scenarios. One rifle to do it all. Keep it out while you're home, throw it in the car when you leave, it'll always be where you are for SHTF.

Of course if you wanted a rifle set up for each scenario you could. Mine would be setup as follows...

HD: Suppressed 10.5 inch SBR with red dot and light. Shooting rifles without a suppressor indoors is no fun.

Truck/trunk: Budget midlength dissipator with fixed irons and a light. The cost would be kept down on that one due to risk of it being stolen. Keep a bandolier and trauma kit with it.

SHTF: Pinned 14.5 with an ACOG or low power variable (1-4 or 1-6 probably) and light would be very versitile. Suppressor would be good in this application as well. Powerful enough for 2 and 4 legged mammals. Ammo is light enough to carry a decent amount, plus it's common.

That all gets expensive though...lol.9

·
Registered
21,339 Posts
Home- whatever is on the nightstand
Truck- 10/22 with 25 round mag
shtf- 10/22 with 25 round mags

Reactions: OD*

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
AR
AR
AR

By just swapping an optic in a QD mount and maybe a change in ammo the AR can do all 3 very well. I can add a .22 conversion unit and hunt small game with it or get very cheap practice. My current AR goes from HD to match rifle to coyote rifle just by swapping optics and loads. Parts, components, and ammo is everywhere......

Chuck

1 - 20 of 33 Posts