Defensive Carry banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
To make this easier (maybe) I asked my friend what kind of a shotgun he has - sorry I didn't think to ask him before. He has a Remington 870. Does this shotgun have the type of barrel that you can shoot slugs with?
Is it an express or a Wingmaster? Remington choke designations ARE near the receiver. If the barrel is a vent-rib barrel and a glossy finish, it's a Wingmaster. If it's got a matte finish, it's quite likely an express. If it's stainless, it's a Marine Magnum. If it's an express or marine, it's probably either cyl or imp, and you're good to go. If it's a Wingmaster, it's either a fixed choke or has the Rem Choke system. My Wingmaster is a MOD, so I can't do slugs. My Winchester model 1897 is a riot gun and has a CYL bore, so it's my slug gun.

·
Super Moderator
16,415 Posts
To make this easier (maybe) I asked my friend what kind of a shotgun he has - sorry I didn't think to ask him before. He has a Remington 870. Does this shotgun have the type of barrel that you can shoot slugs with?
It would depend on what the barrel is choked to but the 870 is an excellent choice perfectly suited for slugs.

Reactions: Instymp

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
There's also an adjustable choke. My brother in law was in his deer stand and fell asleep. Other brother in law saw the gun go down. Then he went down on top of the gun. Nice little bend. After cutting it off and adding the adjustable choke, it was legal by like a half inch. He could twist it down to whatever choke was needed. I believe one can use modified choke also. As I recall, that's what I had.

The 870 also has interchangable barrels. Might as well get a rifled slug barrel. Illegal in Iowa though for hunting. Or was when I was hunting deer. Can probably get a non-rifled slug barrel too for the 870. Not as many options available as an AR, but still lots of choices.

·
Super Moderator
19,301 Posts
Yes, again depending on how the gun is choked. If it has screw-in chokes, then Improved Cylinder or Cylinder will be fine.
Just be aware that recoil from slugs can be pretty stiff, as noted previously.

You said "Some shotguns are specifically made for shooting slugs".
True. In some areas, rifles are not allowed for hunting big game, but shotguns are. Dedicated slug guns have fully rifled the barrels which are permanently fixed to the receiver to improve accuracy over smoothbore guns. The best loads for most of these slugs guns are "sabot" slugs which are smaller in diameter then traditional slugs, and the projectile is launched in a short plastic sabot which engages the rifling yet drops away once it's free of the barrel. These slugs are lighter and achieve higher velocity for a flatter trajectory and are substantially more accurate than traditional slugs fired from conventional shotguns with removable barrels.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Retired Badge 1 thanks for the great information. You said "Some shotguns are specifically made for shooting slugs". Can any shotgun shoot slugs? Will a slug damage a shotgun barrel?
Shotguns with very restrictive chokes can be damaged by shooting slugs. Generally, a cylinder bore or improved cylinder choke will handle slugs without problems, but a full choke or modified choke barrel might not handle slugs well at all.

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Thanks very much for everyone's great help and information. When I was kid my Mossberg 410 had a choke that screwed on.
Thanks again!
Screw in choke tubes are marked also. Best I could do on lighting at the moment, but it will be stenciled on the side on the side as these are.

100_0943.JPG
100_0941.JPG

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Get the widest bore choke you can. Also slugs kick like AMF so be prepared.

·
Premium Member
4,569 Posts
Saw the post about being an 870 Wingmaster. I would not shoot slugs and risk damaging a good bird hunting barrel. Why not order a slug barrel for it? Use it as a HD shotgun.

Reactions: Henry9008
21 - 30 of 30 Posts