Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need suggestions on a shotgun for home defense use. I saw the Benelli supernova 12ga pump action and I liked the way they advertised it. Any suggestions? I carry the department issued Remington 870 in my squad car but have to turn that in at the end of the shift.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the pump, never shot the semi-auto and plus I need to use what I carry on patrol.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do you like the 870? Is there any wrong with it? Why not go with what you use at work and are familiar with. There is nothing wrong with an 870. You will fight the way you practice - keep it simple.

·
Super Moderator
17,723 Posts
I recommend the 870 also, you are already used to it plus many are available on the used market at reasonable prices. Another thing is with the aftermarket accessories out there you can equip it anyway you want or need.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Do you like the 870? Is there any wrong with it? Why not go with what you use at work and are familiar with. There is nothing wrong with an 870. You will fight the way you practice - keep it simple.
Agreed, there are more 870 used than almost any other shotgun in LE. You can accessorize until you're content.

Will anybody else need to be using the gun for home defense [wife, older children]? Maybe a 20 gauge, although with proper training anybody 100 pounds and up can shoot the 12.

A pump may be a little safer and seem easier to learn than a semi-auto. Semi-autos may be simpler to use unless there is a malfunction, then the drill requires more training, that is why the pump is so popular. It is also what made the SPAS 12 since it was both. [But Hollywood made it an evil icon, so it was banned from import].

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Now the only question you need to answer is "regular 870, or 870 magnum?"

·
Registered
313 Posts
If you like the 870, New England Firearms (NEF H&R 1871 Model Pardner Pump) is a really good copy. I bought one and the going rate was about $160.
It's dark black synthetic stock with a good decellerator buttpad, parkarized and the barrel is stock at about 18 3/4" or so. It has a bead front sight. Unlike the 870's lightweight allow metal, this thing is a little heavier and made of real metal. I'm told that the 870 parts fit and we did check by replacing the rear stock with a hand-grip just to see if it would fit and it does perfectly with aftermarket stuff too. It's authoritive and I've used it to qualify with on the range, barking out 10 rounds of 00 buck, it practically cut the whole target in half.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
I have both the Benelli Super Nova Tactical and Remington 870. The Benelli does offer more features than the 870 for around the same price but if this is your first shotgun the 870 is the way to go. You get so many more options with the 870 and its been around for a very long time. The Super Nova is a gun I can take out camping or hiking with me and not worry about rust because the receiver is polymer coated and the inside of the barrel is chrome lined. It's my "beater" shotgun!

However there is also the 870 Marine Magnum which is nice too!

·
Registered
67 Posts
My vote is for the 870, you know the manual of arms so the learning curve is very short

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have an 870 but I just bought a Remington 887 just because. I tell you one thing I love it. Take a look at it and get either the 870 or 887. Same price

·
Registered
342 Posts
Good choice on the 870!

I love mine and will forever!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The one weapon I own that I would never consider trading or selling is my 870! Good decision.......00buck (game over!)

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Shotgun - Home Defense

I like the pump, never shot the semi-auto and plus I need to use what I carry on patrol.
I Like both the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870. As you probably already know there are several models and variations available for each manufacture.

I sell both. I have both the Remington and the Mossberg listed at auction on Guns - Online Gun Auction - Guns at GunBroker.com for the next 5 days.

I can be reached at GundAndSupply.com Home

[email protected] 888-745-2080

I can discount some to Law Enforcement

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I would suggest a used 870 Wingmaster with 20in bbl.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Remington 870

I would suggest a used 870 Wingmaster with 20in bbl.
Depending on price, the Remington 870 Tactical -2, 12 Ga., Pump,
18" Bbl with extendable stock would be ideal for home defense.

Attachments

·
Banned
5,252 Posts
I carry the department issued Remington 870 in my squad car but have to turn that in at the end of the shift.
I too use an 870 at work that I have to turn in at the end of shift.

With that said, I have more time on the 870, because of work and training than any other shotgun. Therefore I keep my HD Shotgun the same as my work shotgun.

During the middle of a high stress life or death encounter is not the time to try to remember the manuel of arms for any weapon. It needs to become instinctive. Thus the 870 should be, IMHO, your choice since that choice is already made for you at work.

My rifle is the same as what is issued at work as well. It makes things simple. The only difference between my work and home shotgun is that my home shotgun has a pistol grip with a buttstock. This tells me that my safety is located on the left side of the gun, given that I'm a lefty. The other shotties, that don't have the pistol grip, have the safety on the original side and that tells me that I have to bring my gunhand up under the trigger guard to release the safety.

Biker

1 - 20 of 43 Posts