Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 228 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here in NY state, in my county [Tioga] its not required. You merely write the judge a letter explaining why you requested an unrestricted pistol permit, and if he concurs, and you clear the back round checks, you are good to go..
Pistol Permit/Concealed Carry in NY state has 2 levels..
1-Pistol Permit where you can own a pistol but can't carry it on your person, only to a range or hunting, and it has to be locked up, and separate from the ammo.
2- CC-where you can wear it concealed and loaded on your person. Otherwise know in NY as Unrestricted Pistol Permit.

Next county over, Broome, you can also get an unrestricted from the judge with need letter, but must also take a safety course which is $200.

just would like to know what everyone thinks about this.... I understand the theory that a good firearms course might make safer more responsible CC holders, but another part of me doesn't like the smell of "paying" to utilize one's 2nd Amendment rights.. thoughts?? bob

·
Registered
4,395 Posts
I think a person has a right to defend themselves with a firearm no matter if they are good at it or not. As long as they have not been convicted of violent crimes or adjudicated mentally ill, I am personally fine with it. All that said, I am a very strong proponent of training.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes!!! I've seen far to many ignorant and dumb questions on these forums from new CCW users to cause me to fear for my life. Just a few minutes ago a newbie looking for "fun" things to do with his new 38 snub. Asking if he could shoot 380 or 9mm out of it. Wow. Scary!

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes!!! I've seen far to many ignorant and dumb questions on these forums from new CCW users to cause me to fear for my life. Just a few minutes ago a newbie looking for "fun" things to do with his new 38 snub. Asking if he could shoot 380 or 9mm out of it. Wow. Scary!
I understand your consternation. Most new CCW folks would know better of course , but again, I am not sure if one should pay for a basic constitutional right...
All of us knew nothing at all about guns at some point.... bob

·
Super Moderator
19,882 Posts
I think firearms training is an excellent idea, and I think all those who own, carry, or use firearms for defense of self and loved ones should be trained.

Likewise, I think all those who vote should be educated, literate and informed.

I stop short of mandating those as absolute requirements to exercise a right protected by the Constitution.

I've seen plenty of people mishandle firearms over the years, but I've seen far more ill-prepared people step into voting booths.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I think firearms training is an excellent idea, and I think all those who own, carry, or use firearms for defense of self and loved ones should be trained.

Likewise, I think all those who vote should be educated, literate and informed.

I stop short of mandating those as absolute requirements to exercise a right protected by the Constitution.

I've seen plenty of people mishandle firearms over the years, but I've seen far more ill-prepared people step into voting booths.
.............and maternity wards :tongue:

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I don't believe in mandating anything as to requirements or restrictions to any of our rights. I am a big proponent of training but I think we should all have the personal responsibility and sense to get it for ourselves.

What I do think we as a nation should do is go back to having 4-H clubs and agricultural classes in school and beginning basic firearms training and safety at the elementary or middle school level. If we started the kids at a young age they would be way ahead of the game and grow up without any stigma against firearms.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I'm kind of torn on this one. My state has two levels of licensure. I didn't have to have a course for my basic permit, but I had to go through a course for the enhanced permit. We now have Constitutional carry in my state. I have been around firearms since I was 12 years old, and was taught how to shoot and be safe with a firearm. However, there are some that have no idea how hard it is to hit a target with a pistol, and don't realize the potential consequences if they miss, especially if they have to use it in public. So I'll say this, it is INCUMBENT upon you to learn how to shoot and be safe with a firearm if you decide to carry for your personal safety.

·
Registered
269 Posts
"required" I don't know about that.
I think it should be taught in the High schools just like Drivers Ed.
Can you get a license without taking a Drivers ed class?
I get the constitutionalist angle of this question but, would you give a 16 year old kid a driver's license that
had no training driving a car.............ever?
Just handing over a permit to someone that has zero experience with a firearm doesn't seem
like the brightest thing to do either, but if you start putting in federal requirements you open
a whole other can of worms that would be intrusive to our rights.
I would just hope that anyone that does go out and get a permit puts in the time to learn what they're doing.
Some of the stuff I see going on at Ranges is horrifying.
Here in mass the safety class is a requirement, but one 4 hour class is not going to much to change bad behavior
or ignorance.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think I'm with the crowd on this one.. I have a right to bare arms.. Although I had to pay to get my permission card to own and carry one in this state, I don't think anyone should be forced to pay or take training. Whether a person should take training is a different story. Everyone should.. Just like driving a car...
BUT, It's my right to have a firearm. It's MY responsibility to get trained on how to use it. IMHO

·
Registered
9,413 Posts
You shouldnt need to get a permit.

Why does that make it ok to infringe on my rights?

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I think I'm with the crowd on this one.. I have a right to bare arms.. Although I had to pay to get my permission card to own and carry one in this state, I don't think anyone should be forced to pay or take training. Whether a person should take training is a different story.Everyone should.. Just like driving a car... It's my right to have a firearm. It's MY responsibility to get trained on how to use it. IMHO
not the same
the right to bear arms is a right guaranteed by our Constitution.
the right to drive a car is a locally permitted privilege.

·
Registered
289 Posts
not the same
the right to bear arms is a right guaranteed by our Constitution.
the right to drive a car is a locally permitted privilege.
There... After reading my own post...Not quite what I meant to say the first time...I think I fixed it... Is that better?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Here in NY state, in my county [Tioga] its not required. You merely write the judge a letter explaining why you requested an unrestricted pistol permit, and if he concurs, and you clear the back round checks, you are good to go..
Pistol Permit/Concealed Carry in NY state has 2 levels..
1-Pistol Permit where you can own a pistol but can't carry it on your person, only to a range or hunting, and it has to be locked up, and separate from the ammo.
2- CC-where you can wear it concealed and loaded on your person. Otherwise know in NY as Unrestricted Pistol Permit.

Next county over, Broome, you can also get an unrestricted from the judge with need letter, but must also take a safety course which is $200.

just would like to know what everyone thinks about this.... I understand the theory that a good firearms course might make safer more responsible CC holders, but another part of me doesn't like the smell of "paying" to utilize one's 2nd Amendment rights.. thoughts?? bob
Sooooo..... part of you doesn't like the idea of "paying" to exercise your God given and Constitutionally protected right but you're okay with writing a letter explaining to a judge why he should grant you permission to exercise that right? Is it still a "right" if you have to ask permission to exercise it?

As to your question, no I don't believe that anything should be required to exercise any Constitutionally protected right. However, I do believe that every gun owner should seek at least basic safety training for themselves and more training never hurt anyone.

Reactions: baren and Havok

·
Registered
348 Posts
Do I think firearms training should be strongly recommended and incentivized? Yes. Do I think it should be federally mandated to own/carry a gun? Not on your life!

·
Premium Member
791 Posts
There is no way the government should mandate a training course for someone to exercise a basic God given right. I would and have suggested people take a basic gun training class.

·
Banned
3,119 Posts
What are some of the negative outcomes that can arise from being forced to learn about gun laws and gun safety? IMHO, there are a plethora of other more important things that we should be upset about and fighting for.

After seeing young minded 21 year old kids buy guns and ammo at gun shops that they had to ask the sales clerk how to operate it, and after attending a few CCW courses seeing how ignorant people were when it came to gun laws and gun safety, right or not, I think that these mandates are a good thing that helps gun owners more than it could hurt us.

1 - 20 of 228 Posts