Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 355 Posts

·
Administrator
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Once again, the debate, as to whether or not concealed weapons should be allowed on college campuses (or in classrooms) is in the news as more states pass laws allowing it.

In Texas, some college professors are suing over guns being allowed in their classrooms.

Are there some places that should be gun free zones? Why? Why not?

·
Registered
438 Posts

Once again, the debate, as to whether or not concealed weapons should be allowed on college campuses (or in classrooms) is in the news as more states pass laws allowing it.

In Texas, some college professors are suing over guns being allowed in their classrooms.

Are there some places that should be gun free zones? Why? Why not?
The only areas I can think of that would make sense are nuclear facilities, which already often have their own armed guard and access control systems. The reasons being are obvious.

Other than that, I don't particularly know why rights are allowed to have zones in public. Private property is up to the property owner, public property should never be able to abridge your rights.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
First, The 2nde amendment should not have nor was it intended to have any restrictions on it.

RIT issued a statement to parents of students attending college there last year. One of our daughters attends and while she said it made her feel a little better she wished she was able to carry herself.

TO: RIT Students, Faculty, Staff
SUBJECT: Specially-trained Public Safety officers with access to firearms

Violence on college campuses across the United States has tragically become all too frequent in recent years.

In an effort to protect individuals on our campus, RIT Public Safety will soon deploy specially-trained officers with access to firearms. The objective of the armed response is to contain an active violent threat until local law enforcement arrives at the scene.

The enhanced level of security will begin in 2016.

The specially-trained RIT officers will be on patrol around the clock on Public Safety shifts throughout the year. Our highly-trained officers will be in a position to respond immediately in a crisis. Firearms will not be visible to the public during daily routine patrols.

This decision was made by RIT leaders after thorough research and evaluation of the benefits and inherent risks. Sadly, there have been 23 shootings on college campuses in 2015 leading to too many violent and senseless deaths. According to FBI data, there were 120 students, faculty and staff who were victims of gun violence on college campuses between 2000 and 2013. Of all the active shooter incidents in the U.S. during that time period, about 24 percent occurred at educational institutions. These are sobering statistics and a recognition that gun violence has become more frequent on college campuses during the past decade.

The FBI data also points out that once an active shooter is confronted by an armed response, no other innocent people were killed.

A national search will be held to hire a new Assistant Director of Public Safety, who will oversee policy, procedure and training for an armed response.

This new measure will further enhance all of our safety.

Been wanting to share this for discussion since it was written, seems like the perfect place.

·
Banned
894 Posts
There are guns on campus, legal of otherwise. To think otherwise is foolish. Legal carry types tend to be law followers and just don't commit a lot of crimes.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Why should college campuses be singled out for special treatment? If I can carry into Walmart, I should be able to carry onto a college campus.

(I can at my daughter's school when dropping off and picking up, just not into residence halls).

·
Registered
7,838 Posts
Yes they should be allowed on campus. Peoples rights to protect themselves dont end as soon as they cross the street. They aren't immune from harm as soon as they cross that street.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yes, the only place they should be prohibited is where safety for all is guaranteed by armed guards.

Apropos of nothing, I know of no such place.

Trevor

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Yes

Reactions: 10mmDWessonman
1 - 20 of 355 Posts